Who's Going To Uni?

Marketing and Business Studies would be worthwhile if the people running the course were successes in marketing and business themselves - however the fact is that if they were they would be fucking about on a lecturers wage earning £27,000 pa. :rolleyes:

Interestingly my Sister In Law works in marketing....she's not got a degree yet her employer trusts her with many £multi million accounts and she appears to be doing reasonably well for herself. I've got a feeling you are wasting taxpayers money... :rolleyes:

On a scale of one to ten Stuart, how useful would you rate Mathematics? 1 being useless, 10 being very useful :D

On a scale of one to ten Stuart, how useful would you rate Mathematics? 1 being useless, 10 being very useful :D

Do you not work in a tax office? Wouldn't Arithmetic be suffice for your chosen occupation? After all you aren't going to need to know the pythagorus theorem when calculating what 22% of annual salary minus allowances works out at...

Actually Gaz, I've just thought about it. I reckon it's a 1. I can't see what use a Maths degree will be to any graduate when they are working in a call centre... ;)

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Do you not work in a tax office? Wouldn't Arithmetic be suffice for your chosen occupation? After all you aren't going to need to know the pythagorus theorem when calculating what 22% of annual salary minus allowances works out at...

I'm not sure where you plug this information from, but no, I don't work in a tax office :huh:

Oh, and Pythagorus? I could do that in my sleep :D

I'm not sure where you plug this information from, but no, I don't work in a tax office :huh:

Oh, and Pythagorus? I could do that in my sleep :D

Ach its ok Gaz, I must have mixed you up with someone who said something remotely interesting once. Sorry.

I edited my original post after I thought further about it. Hope it helps

Surprised you know what Arithmetic is. Don't you pipefitters just call it sums? The Gray Ghost can imagine you at work now. Mathematics? Formulae? When has any of that ever come in useful for engineering?

Having completed five years doing Computer Science I'm going to work in a call centre.

Nah, just kidding. I'll be working as a Software Engineer. The value the Government will get from my tertiary education will make Celtic's purchase of Henrik Larsson look like an extravagance :D

Surprised you know what Arithmetic is. Don't you pipefitters just call it sums? The Gray Ghost can imagine you at work now. Mathematics? Formulae? When has any of that ever come in useful for engineering?

Oh dear....I learned not to under estimate anyone on my first day on the job. I would have thought that lesson would have been part of any worthwhile university course... :rolleyes:

Having completed five years doing Computer Science I'm going to work in a call centre.

Nah, just kidding. I'll be working as a Software Engineer. The value the Government will get from my tertiary education will make Celtic's purchase of Henrik Larsson look like an extravagance :D

Oh dear - you and 200,000 others fighting over around 100,000 jobs. Last years average wage in your sector dropped from £24,000pa to £23,750. At those kind of rates the taxpayer will struggle to recoup your student loan fees never mind anything else.

Oh dear....I learned not to under estimate anyone on my first day on the job. I would have thought that lesson would have been part of any worthwhile university course... :rolleyes:

If anything Stuart, The Gray Ghost has grievously overestimated you in recent weeks, and for that, he apologises.

Oh dear - you and 200,000 others fighting over around 100,000 jobs. Last years average wage in your sector dropped from £24,000pa to £23,750. At those kind of rates the taxpayer will struggle to recoup your student loan fees never mind anything else.

I have a job, I'm not average, they will. What's that you said about grossly underestimating people? :D

Congratulations....is it at Comet?

Nope, it's at a software engineering firm, oddly enough. ^_^

Think I might just breach that average wage projection quite quickly, even allowing for inflation. Honestly - my university education was a bargain. :D

How exactly did you get so many life lessons in your very first day?

Nope, it's at a software engineering firm, oddly enough. ^_^

Think I might just breach that average wage projection quite quickly, even allowing for inflation. Honestly - my university education was a bargain. :D

So let me get this straight - you currently are earning less than the UK National Average of £26,000?