Who's Going To Uni?

Who the hell is making that argument like?

My argument has always been that their are certain jobs for which you need a degree to do them, not that you waould make a lot of money doing them.

FWIW, the money someone makes in a certain job is directly related to the market at the time, if their is a significant skills gaps in 'the trades' such as plumbing, then there will be a lot of money for those few select plumbers that do exist, over time however the market compensates and more plumbers are trianed, each trying to get in on the big money jobs, eventually forcing overheads such as wages down.

Well it looks like plumbers are going to be earning big money for years to come....either that or a hell of a lot of students are going to graduate and then retrain to become plumbers. :rolleyes:

Well it looks like plumbers are going to be earning big money for years to come....either that or a hell of a lot of students are going to graduate and then retrain to become plumbers. :rolleyes:

Significantly, more and more apprenticeships are becoming available to cope with the skills gap, this has been the norm for about 5 years.

All I'm nervous about the language, can some people on here tell me if I have it right:

Aw what min, I'm awa tae Glasgow Caley min, get yer maw's hawns aff ma dugs baws min.

Think I've got it.

I don't know about "awa", I think that's Aberdonian - have never heard a Glaswegian say "awa". You're worried about the language barrier? I'm petrified someone is going to "pan my weegie c**t in" because I ask for a steak pie and not a "stek peh".

*Gulp* :(

On another note, this thread should be used to post pictures of us all on student nights out and generally throwing money away just to annoy Stuart Dickson. Stuart, has it occured to you that studen't money just so happens to generate a fair amount of money to the local economy of the University? St Andrews and Dundee are prime examples of this.

Significantly, more and more apprenticeships are becoming available to cope with the skills gap, this has been the norm for about 5 years.

And significantly many graduates are retraining to become bricklayers and plumbers and it's having little effect on the skills shortage.

I don't know about "awa", I think that's Aberdonian - have never heard a Glaswegian say "awa". You're worried about the language barrier? I'm petrified someone is going to "pan my weegie c**t in" because I ask for a steak pie and not a "stek peh".

*Gulp* :(

On another note, this thread should be used to post pictures of us all on student nights out and generally throwing money away just to annoy Stuart Dickson. Stuart, has it occured to you that studen't money just so happens to generate a fair amount of money to the local economy of the University? St Andrews and Dundee are prime examples of this.

Fraser - you'll need to do better than that son if you want to impress me with your financial common sense. :rolleyes:

The economy of the whole of the UK would be far better off if we weren't pissing £161bn against a failing education system. Just think what each family of four could do with the extra £12,000 per year in their pocket.

3rd year Improver currently working as an apprentice lift engineer - earning £29,000 per annum, aged 22.

3rd year apprentice currently at a construction company on a sponsored apprenticeship - earning £24,000 with a company car, aged 19.

4th year HVAC controls apprentice, aged 20, earning £29,000 and gets a car lease allowance.

Utter drivel.

• Even fully qualified lift engineers don't earn that much.

• The only way a construction company would shell out £24,000 a year for someone on an "apprenticeship" is if they were attending university and working towards a degree.

• HVAC is slightly more believable.

If you could Stuart, let us know what great job the construction "apprentice" is being prepared for.

Also, when their salaries peak, they'll peak at a lot lower level.

Stuart, that table makes a distinction between Electricl engineers (who need a degree) and electricians (of sdeveral grades, fitters, car electricians etc)

The degree qualified engineer makes: £37,916.

The electrician makes: £26,850

Whoops! :lol:

Just to do this before Stuart gets wind of it...

Your all wasting your time, and behaving like parasitics on the goverment teat. Besides, you'll never be able to afford my millionaire life style studying.

No, instead learn to fit pipes and talk rubbish about any given topic, remembering to complete every post with :rolleyes: Except your all too stupid to do that

Also, ensure you go on envy inducing holidays. Well, pretend you've booked them at any rate.

In all seriousness, enjoy! I would love to have my time at Uni agin.

:):):):):):):)

On holiday so can´t be bothered posting but this deserves kudos.

Sad thing is 5 pages in you´´re right.

Guest SavotheGreat
Savo, I provided the source in my post. Teachers earn less than train drivers. Coal Miners earn more than Biochemists, and dancers earn more than dentists. It's all in that article - just have a read.

I'd be interested to find out if it is the education industry that is telling kids they need a degree to earn more money and I'd be interested to find out why someone who is usually a rational thinking, like yourself, would blindly believe that information despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Think about it Savo, 430,000 students in the system in 2008/9. If all of them graduate with degree's where do you think the jobs are that will mean they all get above average earnings? You don't tell me what line of work it is you are entering into but £23,000 is well below the UK national average earnings figure, and if that's the best you could command after 3 years at university I think it's a sound indicator that degree's are not the holy grail you have been led to believe.

No, but by the same token I would refuse to fund such an obvious waste of money.

f**k OFF SAVO YOU TEDIOUS c**t!!!

Utter drivel.

• Even fully qualified lift engineers don't earn that much.

• The only way a construction company would shell out £24,000 a year for someone on an "apprenticeship" is if they were attending university and working towards a degree.

• HVAC is slightly more believable.

If you could Stuart, let us know what great job the construction "apprentice" is being prepared for.

Also, when their salaries peak, they'll peak at a lot lower level.

Whoops! :lol:

1. Yes they do. I didn't need to look beyond Google for proof of that one. Try it. The first page showed four jobs listings showing higher earnings than the top rate for teachers.

2. Nonsense. Many companies are paying well in advance of that for apprentices. Ofcourse it depends on the contract and location as to what you are working but I was earning more than £24k per annum as a fourth year apprentice Pipefitter in 1990.

3. "Slightly more believable" - it's a hell of a lot more believable than claims that being one of 430,000 graduates will guide you into a job with great salaries, or that a tradesman who's skill is in demand is going to have a lower level salary peak than - for example - a graduate software developer... :rolleyes:

The apprentice is a welder.

Anything else?

1. Yes they do. I didn't need to look beyond Google for proof of that one. Try it. The first page showed four jobs listings showing higher earnings than the top rate for teachers.

2. Nonsense. Many companies are paying well in advance of that for apprentices. Ofcourse it depends on the contract and location as to what you are working but I was earning more than £24k per annum as a fourth year apprentice Pipefitter in 1990.

3. "Slightly more believable" - it's a hell of a lot more believable than claims that being one of 430,000 graduates will guide you into a job with great salaries, or that a tradesman who's skill is in demand is going to have a lower level salary peak than - for example - a graduate software developer... :rolleyes:

The apprentice is a welder.

Anything else?

1) The senior lift engineers might earn that but to state that an apprentice is earning it is a joke.

2) I've got first hand experience of what companies are paying apprentices and I've never came across a 24k apprentice welder. Not just that, a company car? Did you check to see if his Dad was a director? :lol:

3) Of course not every uni degree will grant you a good salary, but then not every trade does. Once a tradesman finishes his apprenticeship there is very little room to improve the salary greater while if you studied a construction degree, the sky is the limit.

I've still got a year left and I'm already on a good salary which will peak well above what any plumber/joiner/lift engineer will.

That is what I want to do, where did you work and was it an alright year?

Didn't go entirely to plan, took me ages to actually find a job for a few reasons, but now I have it's alright and the wee bit of money I've got out of it will come in handy. Just got a call centre job, not the best work in the world but it pays okay.

Going to uni and I work in a call centre, Dickson must really hate me.

Send their kids to University? :rolleyes:

:lol:

1) The senior lift engineers might earn that but to state that an apprentice is earning it is a joke.

2) I've got first hand experience of what companies are paying apprentices and I've never came across a 24k apprentice welder. Not just that, a company car? Did you check to see if his Dad was a director? :lol:

3) Of course not every uni degree will grant you a good salary, but then not every trade does. Once a tradesman finishes his apprenticeship there is very little room to improve the salary greater while if you studied a construction degree, the sky is the limit.

I've still got a year left and I'm already on a good salary which will peak well above what any plumber/joiner/lift engineer will.

Good for you....remember to let me know when that finally happens... :rolleyes:

Didn't go entirely to plan, took me ages to actually find a job for a few reasons, but now I have it's alright and the wee bit of money I've got out of it will come in handy. Just got a call centre job, not the best work in the world but it pays okay.

Going to uni and I work in a call centre, Dickson must really hate me.

:lol:

Not at all Dunning. Call Centres are the usual dumping ground for graduates... :rolleyes:

Not at all Dunning. Call Centres are the usual dumping ground for graduates... :rolleyes:

Whats your attraction in spoiling this thread? You already have one of your own where this exact subject area is discussed to be repeatedly humiliated on. This is an optimistic thread, why do you feel you have to poison it with your lies?

I'm going back for a second year of Marketing and Business Studies.

I don't know where that ranks in Stuart Dickson's Educational Worthlessness system, but I'd like to know :)

Marketing and Business Studies would be worthwhile if the people running the course were successes in marketing and business themselves - however the fact is that if they were they would be fucking about on a lecturers wage earning £27,000 pa. :rolleyes:

Interestingly my Sister In Law works in marketing....she's not got a degree yet her employer trusts her with many £multi million accounts and she appears to be doing reasonably well for herself. I've got a feeling you are wasting taxpayers money... :rolleyes:

Whats your attraction in spoiling this thread? You already have one of your own where this exact subject area is discussed to be repeatedly humiliated on. This is an optimistic thread, why do you feel you have to poison it with your lies?

I'm just adding balance, warning poor young impressionable children that they are wasting a huge part of their lives. There is time yet to save them.