Who's Going To Uni?

Probably a ridiculous question, but I am not all that familiar with University age ranges. Are you at all concerned about going to University at the age of 22 and after having dropped out once? I've never been to University, but I did leave higher education when I was 18 and have been working ever since. I am about to turn 22 and am hoping to get back into it.

To be honest, you're probably at the top end of those who would stay in halls. So while not too old you would be slightly older than most people socially. Don't know about maturity, because you seem (purely going by your posts) quite mature, and so probably would get frustrated in halls. However there is usually a varied age range in the classes themselves, plenty of slightly older people of a similar age group to you go to uni.

ah but as I found out myself as an UG there is a difference between enjoying and being good at.

Which is why The Gray Ghost never did it full time. It was either work like buggery and give it all to get only a 2:1 in history, or work like buggery and give it all to get a 1 in computing. The history had to go.

I'm going into 2nd year of Accounting at UWS in Paisley. Saying I go to Paisley uni while everyone is going to Strathy and Glasgow etc sounds a bit crap, but I don't care as first year was actually ace. :)

As for the age thing, there's guys in my class that are 38, 35, and a guy who looks at least 50! That was in first year. Most of the people I've became friends with are not in their teens. Obviously I don't know for sure, but looking at my own class, I wouldn't say 22 was old for going to university. :)

Edited by garymcc1874

Well in fairness Pink, if Supras is going to University I think that's proof positive that they've dumbed down the Further Education system to the extent that degree's, Masters etc are totally useless. I hope they enjoy their last months of doing anything useful in their lives....once they join the 430,000 other people wasting their lives at University their lives will be worthless forever more.

Yeah, I wish I could fit pipes and be overweight when I'm older. One can dream I suppose.

Same here. :)

I've had a gap year to work and make a bit of money before going, so I'm set up financially a wee bit, just going to stay in Greenock. Need to get on with SAAS.

That is what I want to do, where did you work and was it an alright year?

PPS Emphasis is needed on how brilliant it is. I sort of wish I was heading into 1st year again...

I was told law school was terribly boring which is why I didn't apply for it.

Oh well, maybe next year.

I'm going to do Politics and Economics at Strathclyde, looking forward to it :)

I might be doing economics at Strathcylde next year.

Look out for me, I've got a big Union Flag tattooed on my forehead. I'm pure tidy.

:lol:

I'm sorry but I am unfamiliar with University terms.

Does the term Under Graduate really mean that the Graduates get to ride your arse all they want? Is it like a prison? And is staying in a Halls of Residence really safe? After all you'll be staying in the same block of flats as a large number of society drop outs who would be homeless had it not been for taxpayers charity.

Awww Stuart, do you not have a degree yourself? :(

You know people can demand higher salaries with degrees? :D

Thnx 4 da cash! :)

I'm off to do Sociology at Stirling joining at second year. I'm hopeful of securing a job at Burger King after graduating. :(

Don't over aim, you might get Wimpy (does that even exist anymore?).

You remind me of one of my old middle-aged work colleagues. Every day I arrived at work and he was always hostile and short with me and he was always arguing with me about Politics. I could never figure out what his problem was until I spoke to the shift manager. Apparently he was incredibly jealous of the fact I was at University and he was bitter at never having bothered his ass to sign-up when he was younger.

That's not you is it, Stuart?

What is this Savo? Am I not allowed to be angered by the fact that £161bn is wasted per annum by this Labour Government putting an incredible 430,000 students through joke universities? Am I not allowed to be annoyed that this works out at £2,700 per annum for every man, woman and child in the UK? Am I not allowed to be annoyed that for all this money spent we know that more than three quarters of these students will be unable to find work in their chosen fields - unless ofcourse their degree course has something to do with Call Centres. :rolleyes: Am I not allowed to express this anger without being accused of being jealous?

If the UK government reduced the number of university places to a sensible figure - say 20,000 - and only permitted those with the highest grades access to University funding the UK would be solvent again in just 3 years. These malingering students are a millstone around the countries neck - it's time the lazy b*****ds were made to work!

I'm going into 2nd year of Accounting at UWS in Paisley. Saying I go to Paisley uni while everyone is going to Strathy and Glasgow etc sounds a bit crap, but I don't care as first year was actually ace. :)

It certainly is crap. Is Paisley Uni even a real university? It was a kid on one when I was a teenager. :rolleyes: Looking at the league tables it doesn't even make the top 140 in the UK. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I wish I could fit pipes and be overweight when I'm older. One can dream I suppose.

That is what I want to do, where did you work and was it an alright year?

I was told law school was terribly boring which is why I didn't apply for it.

Oh well, maybe next year.

I might be doing economics at Strathcylde next year.

Once again Supras didn't you try to tell the forum that you were a senior, top earning, lecturer at the London School of Economics?

I think you dream of earning the same kind of money that I am on - sadly for you dreaming is as close as you'll get... :rolleyes:

SD: what universities in Scotland would you keep?

I have said I would limit the UK to 30 universities. Going by the current league tables that would leave four.

University of St Andrews

University of Edinburgh

University of Glasgow

University of Aberdeen.

When you think about it those four probably fit the bill exactly geographically for Scotland even if Aberdeen only just scrapes in

Actually, no strike that. 2009 league tables shows Aberdeen at 33 behind the failing Queens College, Belfast that produced research recently that cost £105,000 claiming that nightshift workers have less access to the HSE than dayshift workers. :rolleyes:

Actually, no strike that. 2009 league tables shows Aberdeen at 33 behind the failing Queens College, Belfast that produced research recently that cost £105,000 claiming that nightshift workers have less access to the HSE than dayshift workers. :rolleyes:

So Edinburgh Glasgow and st andrew's? Suppose that makes sense.

I happen to agree with you on this one, even though I'm going into uni, I made sure I chose a good department, with a high chance of me getting a job related to my degree (something like 90% of heriot watt maths students get jobs related to their degree). There are far too many pointless courses out there though.

It certainly is crap. Is Paisley Uni even a real university? It was a kid on one when I was a teenager. :rolleyes: Looking at the league tables it doesn't even make the top 140 in the UK. :rolleyes:

It is very difficult to take the league tables at face value because they cover so much- and a lot of it utter pish.

I mentioned before that I did indeed go to Paisley- indeed my grades were such that I could have done the course at Glasgow or Edinburgh too if I wanted too. I actually went to Paisley as it offered a course were I combined it with real life experience. Indeed I spent around 18 months working during my course in my profession- an apprenticeship if you will (something I think you advocate Stuart!). It was great as I was able to apply skills learned in real life to the university environment.

I still have my job to date- and at day one after graduation could walk in and do the work- no training- left on my own. Graduates out of other places with little experience have to adapt and 're-learn the way work does it'. In the end, my course was independantly assessed for it's quality by our professional body, I ended up being on that panel when I was there and Paisley did far better than a lot of other universities for that degree.

Don't get me wrong there is a lot of shite that goes on in Paisley but the same is true for all universities- (perhaps Glasgow it is your daddies boys not bothering their arse instead of guy from scheme!). To quote Margaret Montford 'perhaps Edinburgh isn't what it used to be?'. Problem is you can't scratch the surface- you have to go deeper to evaluate it.

I have my own prejudices too, even if I can have a laugh with the folk who have a go at Paisley. I joke at some of the 'made up degrees to keep folk off the dole'. Even the lecturers at the university had a laugh at the guy who asked if this class was 'sports science with psychology'. In the end though your probably best not scrapping the universities in total, but rather the degrees which don't offer a great deal.

Guest SavotheGreat
What is this Savo? Am I not allowed to be angered by the fact that £161bn is wasted per annum by this Labour Government putting an incredible 430,000 students through joke universities? Am I not allowed to be annoyed that this works out at £2,700 per annum for every man, woman and child in the UK? Am I not allowed to be annoyed that for all this money spent we know that more than three quarters of these students will be unable to find work in their chosen fields - unless ofcourse their degree course has something to do with Call Centres. :rolleyes: Am I not allowed to express this anger without being accused of being jealous?

If the UK government reduced the number of university places to a sensible figure - say 20,000 - and only permitted those with the highest grades access to University funding the UK would be solvent again in just 3 years. These malingering students are a millstone around the countries neck - it's time the lazy b*****ds were made to work!

Well it's you calling me a lazy b*****d, that's what it is :D

I was a student, I now work. In a few weeks I will start a job with a starting wage of £23,000 per annum. I will pay my student loan back and I will contribute more to the economy, both in skills and taxes, from having gained my degree than I would without it.

I'm not in the minority, before you start.

Edited by SavotheGreat

If you're living in halls first year, make sure your flatmates are a good bunch. Mine weren't and I wanted to kill them. On one side I had a water polo player from Torquay that had mummy issues- she gave him £15 a week from HIS OWN loan as spending money which meant he spent his time either cranking his chain in his room or wandering about the bars like a lost child. On the other side I had an exchange student from Spain that regardless of how many times I ask if he wanted to come out, he'd stay in and play guitar. I ended up bunking at mates houses most nights.

Guest SavotheGreat
If you're living in halls first year, make sure your flatmates are a good bunch. Mine weren't and I wanted to kill them. On one side I had a water polo player from Torquay that had mummy issues- she gave him £15 a week from HIS OWN loan as spending money which meant he spent his time either cranking his chain in his room or wandering about the bars like a lost child. On the other side I had an exchange student from Spain that regardless of how many times I ask if he wanted to come out, he'd stay in and play guitar. I ended up bunking at mates houses most nights.

That's tragic :lol:

In my first year I remember blowing pretty much my entire first installment in the space of a week. I had to work like a bitch for the rest of the year to make up for it but f**k, that was one fun week! :lol:

I personally blame the adrenaline rush of seeing £1600 arrive in my account for the first time.

In my first year I remember blowing pretty much my entire first installment in the space of a week. I had to work like a bitch for the rest of the year to make up for it but f**k, that was one fun week! :lol:

I personally blame the adrenaline rush of seeing £1600 arrive in my account for the first time.

Same! I bought some new decks and spent shit loads on clothes- Not in a week, but I ended up working in Sport Soccer outside of my lectures after a bit. I remember one day when I forgot my work polo shirt and I was wearing my 'I <3 Slovakia' shirt- I was stocking the £1 or whatever donnay socks and umbrellas outside when one guy approached me to ask about some other crappy discount shit and proceeded to berate me for not wearing the colours of cornwall- oh yes, the wrong county! Plymouth was fucked up beyond all belief...

Edited by Řehoř

I think most of us have done that with the loan.

I used my first two installments (which came in one convenient payment) buying round after round to pay back my debt from Freshers.

I regret nothing though. :D

The Gray Ghost arrived back in the country 3 days before starting uni after a year away due to some complications. When everyone was moving box after box in to their room, The Gray Ghost had 1 rucksack, a computer, a 24 crate of irn bru that his family gave him, and the last £300 quid The Gray Ghost had left.

Loan hadn't been sorted because The Gray Ghost had been away, and he was skint. Week one, The Gray Ghost had a jar of lemon curd and toast. All bloody week. The Gray Ghost couldn't even get that drunk because he was still on malaria tablets, and he sort of accidentally threw someone through a window while pished, and so for those reasons, he eased off the drink second half of freshers. Even so, The Gray Ghost ended up absolutely skint for first semester, so didn't get the opportunity to blow it all in one go.

That said, it was a pretty spectacular way to get to know the guy next to you. As he was being taken out to the ambulance, a friendship was sealed! :D

First year was absolutely fantastic, although looking back, theres no way The Gray Ghost could live and drink like that ever again.

Edited by The Gray Ghost