Who's Going To Uni?

SAAS? ARRGHH whens it to be done by, and how? Our school were fucking clueless in telling us the deadline, no-one in our year has a scoobie how or when to do it because we weren't fucking told. Had a look on their website a month back and there was nothing about deadlines. b*****ds. Anyway.

Hopefully doing Psychology at Dundee next year, on the basis that I get 2 B's in my recent Highers (I don't mean to be arrogant but I think I'm in alright :) ). I can't wait. One of my best mates is going there too as well so that's a bonus. I think my flat is the closest out of the halls to Tesco's. RESULT.

That sounds like a worthwhile degree course...well done. Please remember to post on P&B to let us know how the research is going into how pet owners like their pets... :rolleyes:

Going to Strathclyde to do Politics and Italian. I'd liked to have moved away but I was pretty certain I wanted to do this course and the only two unis outside Glasgow who could offer it were Edinburgh and St Andrews and even though I didn't particularly like either of them.

Same here. :)

I've had a gap year to work and make a bit of money before going, so I'm set up financially a wee bit, just going to stay in Greenock. Need to get on with SAAS.

Well in fairness Pink, if Supras is going to University I think that's proof positive that they've dumbed down the Further Education system to the extent that degree's, Masters etc are totally useless. I hope they enjoy their last months of doing anything useful in their lives....once they join the 430,000 other people wasting their lives at University their lives will be worthless forever more.

:lol:

God loves a trier big man.

Having worked in accounts for the past three years since dropping out of uni, I'm now going back to Stirling as a mature student (being 22 at the start of the academic year) to study history. Should be alright.

History in Stirling is really interesting. Did some first year courses and they have good lecturers (for examples Dr. Oram and Penman) and interesting materials. The Gray Ghost enjoyed it far more than Computing.

I would be one of those people but I found this on their website.

link

You can apply online and it isn't that complicated, takes quite a while though.

So everyone has over a year to fill out the application?

Suppose it's good if you can afford to pay the fees for the full year then get it all paid back to you in the one load, along with bursary and loan, you'd probably get a one off payment of £10K :lol:

Having worked in accounts for the past three years since dropping out of uni, I'm now going back to Stirling as a mature student (being 22 at the start of the academic year) to study history. Should be alright.

I'll be there too, doing History with Politics and Professional Education.

History in Stirling is really interesting. Did some first year courses and they have good lecturers (for examples Dr. Oram and Penman) and interesting materials. The Gray Ghost enjoyed it far more than Computing.

Yeah, I was doing Maths at Stirling before but just didn't take it seriously at that age. I find History really interesting (and have grown up a bit - not too much, mind), so it shouldn't be a problem this time.

I'll be there too, doing History with Politics and Professional Education.

:o

Look out for me, I've got a big Union Flag tattooed on my forehead. I'm pure tidy.

Right, serious piece of advice here...

Are you absolutely positive that you want to do a joint honours?! I've just finished 3rd year of Law School and a few of my peers (the ones that did/are doing joint honours) are now finding out that they are going to have to do another year (or they're having to do extra subjects during their honours years, which is not terribly easy to do) before they can enter the diploma because when I was in some law course they were doing French/Politics/Economics and while the credits mean they'll get a degree, the Law Commission (or whoever it is, can't remember) won't allow them onto the diploma until they have all the basic subjects.

This was brought to my attention when I was at an initiation day at Glasgow. The impression I got was that if I did joint honours and just did politics in addition to Law, I would (just) be able to fit in all the required units to be a solicitor. If I want to become an Advocate, which I seem to recall requires another two, I'd either have to drop the Politics or else fit those units in at some other point. The people said that some people continue with these by special arrangement during the Diploma year, which would still be an option. I'm still keeping my mind open to doing joint honours though, and will be considering it more carefully once there.

The ones doing another year (not sure if its funded by SAAS) are sometimes doing so with as few as two or three 10 unit subjects in the entire year... which can be a bit of a nuisance, as I'm sure you can imagine!

Now you may be all set on the joint honours, but check the above out with your Uni - it may even be worth seeing if you can do an extra subject in, for example, each of first and second year, to ensure that you have enough of the courses required for diploma entry - just in case you choose that direction. It is a funny thing about Law School that does not affect much of the other students - first and second year actually count towards something pretty vital if you want to be a solicitor.

I can imagine lots of subjects in an honours year can be a pain. They mentioned that people just doing a Law honours degree would often do all of the compulsory subjects in years one and two to get them out the way.

Not that I want to scare you before you start (I apologise if the above does that... but it is something I know/think some of my mates wish they'd thought of a few years back), but it is something that is (maybe) worth discussing with your director of studies.

PS Law School is absolutely brilliant, but competitive. Be prepared to graft, be prepared to do boring things that will improve your CV... and you'll be swinging!!

PPS Emphasis is needed on how brilliant it is. I sort of wish I was heading into 1st year again...

:lol: don't worry, you've not terrified me off! I'll just have to see how it goes, but everything I've heard has been good.

Probably a ridiculous question, but I am not all that familiar with University age ranges. Are you at all concerned about going to University at the age of 22 and after having dropped out once? I've never been to University, but I did leave higher education when I was 18 and have been working ever since. I am about to turn 22 and am hoping to get back into it.

ah but as I found out myself as an UG there is a difference between enjoying and being good at.

I'm sorry but I am unfamiliar with University terms.

Does the term Under Graduate really mean that the Graduates get to ride your arse all they want? Is it like a prison? And is staying in a Halls of Residence really safe? After all you'll be staying in the same block of flats as a large number of society drop outs who would be homeless had it not been for taxpayers charity.

Guest SavotheGreat
Probably a ridiculous question, but I am not all that familiar with University age ranges. Are you at all concerned about going to University at the age of 22 and after having dropped out once? I've never been to University, but I did leave higher education when I was 18 and have been working ever since. I am about to turn 22 and am hoping to get back into it.

It's not a ridiculous question. It depends on what you want from it, I guess. I don't think 22 is too old to be starting Uni, in fact if I could do it all over again I would have started at 21 with a bit of life experience behind me. The majority of first years at Dundee were in their very late teens; IMO, in your early twenties is probably the best age to start though (if that even is your concern).

Edited by SavotheGreat

Guest SavotheGreat
I'm sorry but I am unfamiliar with University terms.

Does the term Under Graduate really mean that the Graduates get to ride your arse all they want? Is it like a prison? And is staying in a Halls of Residence really safe? After all you'll be staying in the same block of flats as a large number of society drop outs who would be homeless had it not been for taxpayers charity.

You remind me of one of my old middle-aged work colleagues. Every day I arrived at work and he was always hostile and short with me and he was always arguing with me about Politics. I could never figure out what his problem was until I spoke to the shift manager. Apparently he was incredibly jealous of the fact I was at University and he was bitter at never having bothered his ass to sign-up when he was younger.

That's not you is it, Stuart?

Edited by SavotheGreat