Who's Going To Uni?

1 hour ago, RH33 said:

Mine is sat at about £14k and I've never been in a job that earned enough to start paying it back. 🙈

Back when they were first starting, I took out a loan to do an HND. Think it was about £2,500. A few times I've crept into the bracket to start paying it back at about a fiver a week or so. As someone mentioned earlier, it was touted as almost being as good as a grant, as the interest rate was so low that it would be negligible.

Few years later, the interest rate started going up. I'd need to check, but I think the total repayable is about £8,000 now. Thankfully, I don't need to give a shit as it'll disappear if I hit 65 or die, but I fear for future generations when a government eventually allows loan providers to own students from graduation to the grave and beyond.

19 hours ago, scottsdad said:

This was a postgraduate student. Had he fessed up and shown some remorse, we would have allowed him to keep either a postgraduate diploma or a postgraduate certificate. As it is, 2 years of his life up in smoke. 

On @mathematics point, the lecturer was well supported. She was bemused by the whole thing. We never believed for a second she did anything wrong, and I think she knew that.

The most baffling thing about is that surely you do a postgrad to learn? Cheating seems to defeat the whole purpose, you are paying money to learn a subject you are (hopefully) interested on. Never mind getting caught, I don't understand why you would cheat at all unless you were sure you were going to flame out (and if the latter the uni might support you if due to reasons outwith your control).

What are the slap on the wrist type stuff? I would assume Unis were pretty tough on even minor infractions.

15 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

We had a woman come in from Saas in our 6th year at school saying how amazing they were etc and she told us all that the loan you take out has no interest added to it at all. So 20k over 4 years is all you will pay off. She explicitly used the words “interest free”. 

You can imagine my surprise when someone at uni explained to me that interest does infact get added on

https://youtu.be/5yuL6PcgSgM

3 hours ago, Satoshi said:

The most baffling thing about is that surely you do a postgrad to learn? Cheating seems to defeat the whole purpose, you are paying money to learn a subject you are (hopefully) interested on. Never mind getting caught, I don't understand why you would cheat at all unless you were sure you were going to flame out (and if the latter the uni might support you if due to reasons outwith your control).

What are the slap on the wrist type stuff? I would assume Unis were pretty tough on even minor infractions.

https://youtu.be/5yuL6PcgSgM

A first time offence, and the student admits it, then we normally void the course and make them take a resit and attend a class on plagiarism. That is the slap on the wrist stuff. 

It is still on the transcript though. 

I was lucky enough to get the last couple of years of grants before the student loans kicked in. Mind you they were pretty much interest free back then. I even managed to wangle a student loan on a year when I was on, erm, sabbatical.  Paid it all back over the course of a few years. The missus had hers written off (probably as a thank you from Regal kingsize).

18 hours ago, mathematics said:

Interest starts immediately as far as I know. Linked to inflation rather than a generic loan-type interest.

Not quite true for loans in Scotland (Plan 4 student loans):

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-interest-is-calculated-plan-4

The interest rate charged is either the Retail Price Index or the Bank of England base rate plus 1%, whichever is lower.

So it's 4.5% now, which is the BoE+1% figure. 

The repayment threshold appears to be linked to RPI, and so is jumping by £2k to £27k. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/payroll-technical-specifications-student-loans/collection-of-student-loans-from-6-april-2023

Useful guidance here:

https://www.savethestudent.org/student-finance/student-loan-repayments.html#plan4

• 2 months later...

Into my final EMA of the year, just about done and due on Tuesday.

Finally got my marks back for my last TMA, with the delay being because of the marking boycott, needed 30% got 63%, not great but a wins a win. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/05/2023 at 19:09, johnnydun said:

Into my final EMA of the year, just about done and due on Tuesday.

Finally got my marks back for my last TMA, with the delay being because of the marking boycott, needed 30% got 63%, not great but a wins a win. 

Meant to ask the other night. Well done 👏 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I know most posters on here will be mainly concerned with Scotland but i can't imagine the overall picture being too different. Thought this was interesting. 

There's a very good chance that investing in Uni is worth it financially, but it's not a slam dunk. 

Of course it's not all about the profit and loss ledger, least not for everyone. 

Surprised by engineering not being higher and by English being positive. It's correlation not causation i suppose. 

_126280988_editedoptimised-university_earning_subject_dumbell-nc.png.thumb.webp.e1cee92c9e62d036b3f3b04dd02bc39f.webp

(accompanied an article about Sunak's latest brainfart but this isn't in the politics forum).