Who's Going To Uni?

5 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I remember one time when a member of the wife swapping club was Head of School. There was some sort of meeting with the lecturers and it must have gone badly. 

One lecturer walking down the corridor afterwards , seething, and shouting loudly enough for everyone to hear about the "wife swapping Aberdonian twat". 

His application to join the club obviously blackballed.

Fourteen disciplinary hearings this week. Most are little ones, slap on the wrist, resit and attend a special class. One is the most serious I've come across and the harshest penalty we gave (or can give in the rules).

Knackering.

8 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Fourteen disciplinary hearings this week. Most are little ones, slap on the wrist, resit and attend a special class. One is the most serious I've come across and the harshest penalty we gave (or can give in the rules).

Knackering.

Aye, well spill the feckin' beans you cockteasy bassa............................

2 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Aye, well spill the feckin' beans you cockteasy bassa............................

Long and complicated story. In essence it was contract cheating. Both he and another student at another uni bought the same dissertation and submitted them a few days apart.

But our chap (who submitted first) claimed that he sent a late draft to his supervisor - a member of staff here - and that supervisor must have sold on or shared his dissertation with this other student.  A very serious allegation as I'm sure you can imagine.

I had to do the investigation as the case lead, getting files and raw data and so on. His story just didn't stand up (this other student apparently corrected a few mistakes he made as well).

We had 3 hearings with him. In the final one we told him straight that we know it was contract cheating, we know where he got it from, know the website, know the original file (which i got a copy of), we know he lied previously. We told him that if he was honest and came clean we would take it into account. But no, he stuck like glue to his story that someone stole or shared his file (which was utter shite to be honest) and he really did do all the work himself.

Loads more to this case than what I have put here but this is the rub. Expelled, obviously, with every single course he ever did wiped out also. We could not be any harsher.

On a separate case, a student used Chegg for an exam paper and got the sizzling score of 3/100 from their "expert answers" 🧐

In both cases students paid good money to buy utter garbage.

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Long and complicated story. In essence it was contract cheating. Both he and another student at another uni bought the same dissertation and submitted them a few days apart.

But our chap (who submitted first) claimed that he sent a late draft to his supervisor - a member of staff here - and that supervisor must have sold on or shared his dissertation with this other student.  A very serious allegation as I'm sure you can imagine.

I had to do the investigation as the case lead, getting files and raw data and so on. His story just didn't stand up (this other student apparently corrected a few mistakes he made as well).

We had 3 hearings with him. In the final one we told him straight that we know it was contract cheating, we know where he got it from, know the website, know the original file (which i got a copy of), we know he lied previously. We told him that if he was honest and came clean we would take it into account. But no, he stuck like glue to his story that someone stole or shared his file (which was utter shite to be honest) and he really did do all the work himself.

Loads more to this case than what I have put here but this is the rub. Expelled, obviously, with every single course he ever did wiped out also. We could not be any harsher.

On a separate case, a student used Chegg for an exam paper and got the sizzling score of 3/100 from their "expert answers" 🧐

In both cases students paid good money to buy utter garbage.

Why do that? Why not just say, right stuff the dissertation I'll take the ordinary degree and go on my way. 

14 hours ago, RH33 said:

Why do that? Why not just say, right stuff the dissertation I'll take the ordinary degree and go on my way. 

This was a postgraduate student. Had he fessed up and shown some remorse, we would have allowed him to keep either a postgraduate diploma or a postgraduate certificate. As it is, 2 years of his life up in smoke. 

On @mathematics point, the lecturer was well supported. She was bemused by the whole thing. We never believed for a second she did anything wrong, and I think she knew that.

5 minutes ago, mathematics said:

It’s a nice feeling, isn’t it? In my first job, I was paying £3 a month back as £21 a month was being added in interest.

The way I’m looking at it, it’s basically a 300 or so quid a month pay rise. If I’d remained in the UK I’d likely never have paid it off, and I’m still not sure if I made the right decision to let them catch up with me over here, there was basically a 5 or 6 year period where they had absolutely f**k all idea where I was or how to get my money off me. After deciding I was staying here until I leave in a box, I thought I better tie up the lose ends that could f**k that plan up for me down the line.

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

This was a postgraduate student. Had he fessed up and shown some remorse, we would have allowed him to keep either a postgraduate diploma or a postgraduate certificate. As it is, 2 years of his life up in smoke. 

On @mathematics point, the lecturer was well supported. She was bemused by the whole thing. We never believed for a second she did anything wrong, and I think she knew that.

Crazy. When I decided my MH couldn't take any more studying the course director was brilliant and made sure I left with a DipHE so my work wasn't wasted. Wasn't much practical use but gave me academic credits when I went on to finish a general BA with the OU.

Utter lunacy (arrogant maybe too) not to engage and cheat instead.

We had a woman come in from Saas in our 6th year at school saying how amazing they were etc and she told us all that the loan you take out has no interest added to it at all. So 20k over 4 years is all you will pay off. She explicitly used the words “interest free”. 

You can imagine my surprise when someone at uni explained to me that interest does infact get added on

22 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

We had a woman come in from Saas in our 6th year at school saying how amazing they were etc and she told us all that the loan you take out has no interest added to it at all. So 20k over 4 years is all you will pay off. She explicitly used the words “interest free”. 

You can imagine my surprise when someone at uni explained to me that interest does infact get added on

Does it get added on from the very start of the loan?

Was looking through the paperwork and I can't find any information. There's nothing on the SAAS dashboard that  I can see either.

I've probably made the same mistake as you and thought it was  'free money' on loan for 4 years. 

1 hour ago, Suspect Device said:

When do you start paying interest on the student loan?

And what rate is it now?

Interest starts immediately as far as I know. Linked to inflation rather than a generic loan-type interest.

As @Central Belt Caley notes, I too got a bit of a shock when my £14K had risen to £16K by the time I had graduated. Took me over ten years to pay it back. I, like many I bet, was a bit daft with my student loan, not recognising just how much debt I was putting myself in.