Who's Going To Uni?

Just now, Suspect Device said:

EIS same as my wife? She keeps voting for strike action and they keep failing to meet the 50% threshold.

The strike action is going to mess up my course a bit but I'm still fully behind their action.

No, I'm not in any union.

3 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

58% isn't all that bad! I have students who will never get near a score like that.

That's reassuring coming from yourself, over the past year and a half my scores have ranged from 45% to 69% for my TMA essays. I never reach my word count either! 

11 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

That's reassuring coming from yourself, over the past year and a half my scores have ranged from 45% to 69% for my TMA essays. I never reach my word count either! 

The word count thing might explain some of this - if the word count for an essay is, say, 1500 words and a student submits 1000, then there are clearly marks available they're not taking.

This usually comes from 2 things - students missing parts of the answer, or not explaining the answer well enough. It's not enough to mention all the things the marker is looking for, but to explain and show your understanding of it also.

Best of luck in the future!

31 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

The word count thing might explain some of this - if the word count for an essay is, say, 1500 words and a student submits 1000, then there are clearly marks available they're not taking.

This usually comes from 2 things - students missing parts of the answer, or not explaining the answer well enough. It's not enough to mention all the things the marker is looking for, but to explain and show your understanding of it also.

Best of luck in the future!

Yeah, I am usually about 100 to 150 words short. I just don't want to repeat things.

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Yeah, I am usually about 100 to 150 words short. I just don't want to repeat things.

Thanks.

I am the opposite in that I tend to write too much, edit the essay down then fanny about with it until it's cohesive and coherent. I make multiple drafts of essays and am usually slightly over the wordcount.

10 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

I had 1 last year and got 90.

I got 70 in my EMA project.

61 total for my first year.

Sounds like you have the knowledge. Does the OU offer any classes on writing essays and the like? Most places do. Might be worth looking into.

Just now, scottsdad said:

Sounds like you have the knowledge. Does the OU offer any classes on writing essays and the like? Most places do. Might be worth looking into.

Yeah, a lot of the course is about the writing side of things, I've just always been poor at those things. It's a BSc Honours Psychology degree.