Who's Going To Uni?

4 hours ago, craigkillie said:

If you're someone's PhD supervisor then there's not an equal power dynamic - you have the ability to hugely influence their career path even if you're not the one directly assessing them. I'd therefore say that's a big no-no.

She married him.

3 minutes ago, beefybake said:

She married him.

That's not really relevant to the point. There are lots of cases (probably most cases in fact) where it's a genuine mutually acceptable relationship with no actual "pressure" in either direction, but the issue is that there are ethical issues surrounding that power dynamic regardless.

4 minutes ago, beefybake said:

She married him.

Makes absolutely no difference to me. What @craigkillie said is 100% on the money. The fact it worked out for this one couple doesn't mean that this is alright. 

A PhD supervisor has a lot of power and influence over the career and studies of their supervisee. A good supervisor can be the making of them; a bad one can set them back. Add in a romantic element and things go way, way off track very easily. Imagine they hadn't married but instead split up - the supervisor could make her life and career prospects extremely difficult. On the flip side - how much of her work is the supervisor doing? The whole thing is a minefield. 

The supervisor/lecturer has a duty of care to the student. I don't see how that is compatible with a romantic relationship.

On 14/11/2021 at 01:42, Hedgecutter said:

My supervisor started dating his (now) wife whilst she was a PhD student in his dept in the early noughties.  I think that he was her supervisor at the time, but I may be wrong.  Whatever the situation was, it was certainly shifty.

They’re not a palaeontologist and palaeobotanist that went on a doomed trip to an island off the coast of Costa Rica are they?

3 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Howz The Prof doing this week ?

Surprising turnaround for him. I was in a meeting with him earlier. He's apparently delighted to be teaching this year and was full of good ideas for teaching next year. It was like speaking to a different person. 

I have heard though that he's been busy pissing off the admin staff. 

I'm seeing a list of govt-funded courses to apply for up in NE Scotland, but they're all essentially individual modules of an MSc which say "use this to work towards an MSc in...".

Given that they're 10 week courses that will probably just see any job applications pitting you against full MSc graduates, is there much point in taking up these supposedly in-demand courses?

Edited by Hedgecutter

37 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

I'm seeing a list of govt-funded courses to apply for up in NE Scotland, but they're all essentially individual modules of an MSc which say "use this to work towards an MSc in...".

Given that they're 10 week courses that will probably just see any job applications pitting you against full MSc graduates, is there much point in taking up these supposedly in-demand courses?

We're moving towards this model also. Apparently, some market research is floating around showing that executives want the chance to take the odd individual course without going for a full Masters.

Sounds like bollocks to me but university management is dead keen on anything that sounds "executive" or "senior".

35 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

university management is dead keen on anything that sounds "executive" or "senior" rakes in £1000+ per person per module for something that has minimal cost to the department.

FTFY

17 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Been marking since yesterday and have now marked seventeen pieces of coursework. Just another 190 to go, plus 50 exam papers

smart-doit.gif

I'm sure one of these kind gentlemen on the web who write your students essays for them will help you out. :smartass