Who's Going To Uni?

25 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Programming. Always fancied it when I was a wean, but could never get my head around it.

I might have timed it so that computers will all be programming themselves by the time I graduate, but then I can help John Connor to hack Skynet.

Good for you.

BTW students are arseholes regardless of age.

4 hours ago, BFTD said:

Programming. Always fancied it when I was a wean, but could never get my head around it.

I might have timed it so that computers will all be programming themselves by the time I graduate, but then I can help John Connor to hack Skynet.

Good luck, did a masters in computer science and it was a fantastic decision. A lot of jobs out there and more every year. The right time to get in. 

On 26/09/2021 at 14:37, BFTD said:

One said she'd told a couple of young students to travel back home, f**k the rules, as they clearly weren't able to cope with being isolated and completely alone for the first time, and there was nothing course-wise that they wouldn't be able to do from their parents' house.

I think some folk dismiss the problems students have experienced as just moaning about not being able to go out clubbing, but it's clearly a lot more serious than that for some people.

There's a reason most freshers seem to think that their halls of residence were based on a Swedish women's prison.  Take away the nights out and your overpriced cheapy room comprising nothing more than a small bed and worn desk can quickly feel like a cell.  That and they're gullible as f***.

42 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Presentation, spelling and grammar usually count for about 10% of the grade for assignments set in my programme area. The other 90% is about the subject matter itself. 

We also have a lot of dyslexic students, though in truth those diagnosed with dyslexia often have better written skills than other students. 

2 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Presentation, spelling and grammar usually count for about 10% of the grade for assignments set in my programme area. The other 90% is about the subject matter itself. 

We also have a lot of dyslexic students, though in truth those diagnosed with dyslexia often have better written skills than other students. 

To be honest, spelling and grammar weren't something I was too worried about. Constructing a sentence isn't too difficult. Constructing an essay might be.

I'm used to posting short comments on forums, not a dissertation. Looking at the course I'm doing, they provide a lot of support in the study skills area of the website.

And of course as long as I don't fail more than 60%, I get a pass. 😲

Just now, scottsdad said:

End of week 4 of semester and I am knackered. 

Teaching 8 hours a week for 4 weeks has done this to me. How do actual teachers do this all day,  all year round?

We have a reading week coming up soon and I really need it.

Man up.

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

End of week 4 of semester and I am knackered. 

Teaching 8 hours a week for 4 weeks has done this to me. How do actual teachers do this all day,  all year round?

We have a reading week coming up soon and I really need it.

Get the impression it's the same for most of my lecturers  :lol:

I'm still in the mentality of being out of the house twelve hours a day, five days a week. Absolutely loving this; into the college 1½ days a week, bit of part-time work on the side, do a bit of homework, then time to relax now and then!

I'll be soft as shite by the time I graduate.

Finished any outstanding work I had by Tuesday, so I'm allowing myself a lazing-about day before getting on with some work. Selling shite on eBay to supplement my meagre student income (subscribe to my OnlyFans if you want to help out, mwah!)

Started my second year a few weeks ago.

First year was completely online and this year is a mix, although still mostly online. In class once a week for two hours, and there's a class we're in once a month for. I find the online learning quite easy, I like that everything's recorded and I'm not just scribbling nonsense down on a bit of paper, but I do find it hard to watch something that's pre-recorded when there's no interaction and I can get really distracted in the house. I hated the fact last year I couldn't leave and study in the library, in a cafe, or most likely the pub - so I'm looking forward to less cabin fever when the work really starts to kick in.

My colleague in work is doing a PhD and is also a lecturer. He finds the learning quite similar to me but the teaching much more difficult when he can't see the reactions of the students. I feel bad for my lecturers in that respect. Some of them try really hard to get the students to put cameras on but most people have no interest.

Haven't been very motivated since we went back (which is why I'm back on here!) but will get back into the swing of things next week.

Edit: also found out today I can put the lectures on 1.5x speed which is great.

Edited by Smurph

Doing not bad so far. Just reading about the global spread of Protestantism in one module and the reputation of Mary, mother of Jesus in another module.  Think I'll need to visit the old firm forum for their 'expertise' in the matter.

Motivation is a problem as well. Coupled with the obvious distraction of P&B opened in another tab.

Now back to What hath Wittenberg to do with Lagos.........🤨

Edited by Suspect Device

Had the bad luck to graduate in 2020 so didn't get a graduation ceremony, fortunately I plunged to do a Masters which I've passed with a Merit despite never having an in-person class and have been told we're getting a graduation but the Uni didn't publicly announce (via Uni Email) how to apply to graduate in person and only a handful of people noticed and have been able to apply to do so. Pretty scumbag behaviour from them.

1 hour ago, ArabAuslander said:

Had the bad luck to graduate in 2020 so didn't get a graduation ceremony, fortunately I plunged to do a Masters which I've passed with a Merit despite never having an in-person class and have been told we're getting a graduation but the Uni didn't publicly announce (via Uni Email) how to apply to graduate in person and only a handful of people noticed and have been able to apply to do so. Pretty scumbag behaviour from them.

Graduations are something I am interested in. The room I teach in is where we hold graduations. It is huge and ~90% of the seats are empty in my class due to the Scot Gov rules. Will they allow it to be full again for graduation? No idea.

Hopefully not mostly online - we had our teaching awards in the summer and these were all online and it was just sad.

The Scottish Government rules do not require any distancing in a classroom setting - that is the choice of individual institutions. The same will go for graduations.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-universities-colleges-and-community-learning-and-development-providers/pages/steering-principles/

• 2 weeks later...

Just listened to a podcast by Al Jazeera Investigates about Ian Shaw, a lecturer in human geography at Glasgow and the allegations made against him of inappropriate behaviour by six different women, some colleagues and some students.  The whole thing sounds very unsatisfactory - the students said he emotionally manipulated them and was inappropriate with them with some of the conduct veering into harassment.

I went to University in the late 1990s and there were always plenty of male lecturers who had reputations for sleazing over female students. I guess it’s probably unavoidable to some extent.