Who's Going To Uni?

Any of you youngsters go to Art School? What sort of exam grades are required? My kid is really good at art but not so good at maths and science. I saw Glasgow want a decent grade in maths and that could scupper things for her. She's only in 3rd year at high school but it's something she has her eye on. 

Can't say I know much about the requirements but I'm pretty sure the Glasgow School of Art runs an associate scheme with Glasgow Clyde college for certain course so that could be an option to consider if meeting the minimum requirements could be an issue. Basically do a year or two at college as a precursor to joining the uni

8 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Any of you youngsters go to Art School? What sort of exam grades are required? My kid is really good at art but not so good at maths and science. I saw Glasgow want a decent grade in maths and that could scupper things for her. She's only in 3rd year at high school but it's something she has her eye on. 

They've changed the criteria recently, you just have to promise not to f**k about with matches these days.

9 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

my friend goes there, when its not on fire. I think she has higher maths but not at a fantastic grade - taking pills seems to be far more important. I think my friend ended up having to go out the Methill as part of a project so be careful. Also a few folk were caught out thinking if they were good at one particular field they could muddle by but apparently that not the case. Feel free to drop me a PM and I can pass on any questions :)

• 1 month later...

Big meeting today between the minister and uni chiefs. The upshot is that exams will be cancelled, postponed or converted to online. Teaching will go online. 

if you are a student, keep an eye on your emails next week.

On 04/02/2020 at 11:14, L'immortale Par said:

Since this has been bumped why the f**k do they want maths for art school? To show discipline? I hate this world.

15 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Since this has been bumped why the f**k do they want maths for art school? To show discipline? I hate this world.

In my day, they could still accept you if you had no qualifications. As long as they deemed your portfolio impressive enough.

19 minutes ago, Lee Van Tee said:

In my day, they could still accept you if you had no qualifications. As long as they deemed your portfolio impressive enough.

Should be judged on whether they've made their own earrings and have done a good job of their hair dye imo. 

• 1 year later...

For my uni, our plan is to have classes of maximum size of 50 from September onwards. 

Been a really tough year, especially for new students. So many 17/18 years olds doing it all online, no real uni experience, and bags of stress. More mature students handling it a little better, but everyone is struggling.

As the academic year has gone on, more and more students are suffering from stress and anxiety. Referrals to student counselling is up 300%. My own mentees have been in touch, all struggling to cope. Things that in a normal year would be minor issues are getting blown right out of proportion. Hoping for a better 2021/22 AY. 

• 3 months later...

Plans are moving forward big time now. We are going back on campus, and will offer some face to face teaching in the new academic year. But it won't be like normal. 

For my classes, students will watch a recording of the lecture video at home, and then come to campus in small groups for tutorials. No big lecture halls crammed with students, at least not this year.

I'm looking forward to getting back to some kind of normal teaching. Last year was an OK substitute but not how I'd want to do it permanently. 

49 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

It says the UK's top 20 courses. Is this by graduate earnings? Possible - maybe law, banking, robber baron studies and stuff like that. 

It's a proxy measure for the percentage of thick poshos who get jobs in daddy's bank per course.

On 22/03/2021 at 12:28, scottsdad said:

For my uni, our plan is to have classes of maximum size of 50 from September onwards. 

Been a really tough year, especially for new students. So many 17/18 years olds doing it all online, no real uni experience, and bags of stress. More mature students handling it a little better, but everyone is struggling.

As the academic year has gone on, more and more students are suffering from stress and anxiety. Referrals to student counselling is up 300%. My own mentees have been in touch, all struggling to cope. Things that in a normal year would be minor issues are getting blown right out of proportion. Hoping for a better 2021/22 AY. 

My ma's worked in Murano Street halls (always liable for wild shit going on) for years and says the last year has been by far the worst for people going constantly tonto. Can't blame them tbh it must be shite living in halls basically most of the year with no option to go to classes, clubs, the library or pubs.

3 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

My ma's worked in Murano Street halls (always liable for wild shit going on) for years and says the last year has been by far the worst for people going constantly tonto. Can't blame them tbh it must be shite living in halls basically most of the year with no option to go to classes, clubs, the library or pubs.

I apologise to your mum for my conduct  16 years ago.