Who's Going To Uni?

On 07/05/2019 at 07:57, Richie95 said:

I'm quickly realising that doing a Masters degree was not the best of ideas, especially when it comes to needing to write a dissertation throughout the Summer. I am really struggling to become motivated enough to get large parts of it done, at the moment. 

How ye gettin on now? Its killing me at present. Ive still got 2 months to do it but I can already see myself putting in for mitigating circumstances and getting an extension.  The worst thing is that I spend large parts of the day thinking about my dissertation but a minimal amount of time actually writing it. 

On 6/14/2019 at 01:09, Sir Kevin Of Kilsyth said:

How ye gettin on now? Its killing me at present. Ive still got 2 months to do it but I can already see myself putting in for mitigating circumstances and getting an extension.  The worst thing is that I spend large parts of the day thinking about my dissertation but a minimal amount of time actually writing it. 

Just a question - are you given your topics or do you select them yourselves? We give our students free range to choose, and I always tell them to pick something they are interested in,

On 12/06/2019 at 22:43, Sooky said:

Found out I graduated from Stirling with a 2:1 today, which I’m chuffed about. Even more chuffed that I’m going to Glasgow (okay, less chuffed about the fact I’ll be living in Glasgow) to do a masters in War Studies! Yet another year of successfully avoiding needing to find full time employment emoji41.png

Living in the West End of Glasgow compared to Stirling will be an incredible upgrade.

On 14/06/2019 at 01:09, Sir Kevin Of Kilsyth said:

Ah, memories.

Try setting yourself smaller targets. 100 words a day or so. If you stick to that, you'll inevitably end up doing a bit more.

Don't leave it all until lunch time the day before it's due.

On 18/06/2019 at 11:36, scottsdad said:

Just a question - are you given your topics or do you select them yourselves? We give our students free range to choose, and I always tell them to pick something they are interested in,

We choose our own. If you need support to find one you get it but they want you to use your own contacts.

Im doing mine on leadership in the non profit sector with Alcoholics Anonymous as a case example in the unlikely event that anyone was wondering. 

Edited by Sir Kevin Of Kilsyth

On 14/06/2019 at 01:09, Sir Kevin Of Kilsyth said:

Just like yourself, I have got a couple of months to go. My main issue is more that I have spent most of my research time on my first chapter and little to no time researching anything on my final two chapters. So as it stands, I currently have an introduction and first chapter that are almost 70% of my word count already, while I will be lucky to have nearly two thousand words for either of my last chapters at this rate. 

9 hours ago, Sir Kevin Of Kilsyth said:

We choose our own. If you need support to find one you get it but they want you to use your own contacts.

Im doing mine on leadership in the non profit sector with Alcoholics Anonymous as a case example in the unlikely event that anyone was wondering. 

A tricky one to keep yourself motivated. There is little that academics can do - we don't want to badger students as it puts pressure on them, yet not want to leave them alone in case this happens. Do you have a dissertation supervisor you can talk to? I can guarantee that whatever you are going through that might allow a Mitigating Circumstances, they will have seen it. They may have advice/tools/suggestions that have worked on others in the past.

2 hours ago, Richie95 said:

Just like yourself, I have got a couple of months to go. My main issue is more that I have spent most of my research time on my first chapter and little to no time researching anything on my final two chapters. So as it stands, I currently have an introduction and first chapter that are almost 70% of my word count already, while I will be lucky to have nearly two thousand words for either of my last chapters at this rate. 

I have read many a dissertation like this. Getting two thirds through and still in the literature review. 

My advice: forget about your word count for now. You seem too focused on this. Get to work on the bits you need to. You can always cut down/trim/shape the dissertation towards the end.  Ultimately the dissertation has to have a flow to it, like a story:

1. Here's the general area of interest;
  2. Here's a specific gap in knowledge identified from the literature;
  3. Here are the aims and objectives - filling in this gap in knowledge
  4. Methodology - how we will fill this gap in knowledge
  5. Here's what was found out from data gathering (raw)
  6. Here's how it fits in to the overall picture from parts 2 and 3 (the discussion)
  7. The conclusion - a gap in knowledge was identified and here's how it was filled

A week before submitting my PhD thesis I removed a chapter from it entirely as it didn't fit. 

Found out I graduated from Stirling with a 2:1 today, which I’m chuffed about. Even more chuffed that I’m going to Glasgow (okay, less chuffed about the fact I’ll be living in Glasgow) to do a masters in War Studies! Yet another year of successfully avoiding needing to find full time employment [emoji41]

What’s your favourite war?

• 2 months later...

Not sure if this is the right thread but who cares.

Kevin O'Gorman who was a professor at Heriot Watt got done for 16 sexual assaults on students and has been sentenced to 240hrs community service !!!  Seems a ridiculously light sentence.

Kevin O'Gorman who was a professor at Heriot Watt got done for 16 sexual assaults on students and has been sentenced to 240hrs community service !!!  Seems a ridiculously light sentence.

I know of some ex-colleagues/students that know him, and know of his actions. He’s abhorrent. Ridiculously lenient sentencing.

I had him as a lecturer in my 2nd year at HW, seemed a bit eccentric but most uni lecturers are a bit

Can’t get over how lenient the sentence is

I know a fair bit about this case from the Heriot Watt side of things. The key issue for me was that he was doing this at Strathclyde for years and years. Complaints were made about him, and Strathclyde's approach was to give him a huge wedge of cash and glowing references that never said a thing about this, if he agreed to go quietly.  He came here and within a couple of years the complaints started coming in. In contrast to the Strathclyde approach, HW sacked him and called in the police. Now HW have brought in a QC to see how to avoid this happening in future.

30 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I know a fair bit about this case from the Heriot Watt side of things. The key issue for me was that he was doing this at Strathclyde for years and years. Complaints were made about him, and Strathclyde's approach was to give him a huge wedge of cash and glowing references that never said a thing about this, if he agreed to go quietly.  He came here and within a couple of years the complaints started coming in. In contrast to the Strathclyde approach, HW sacked him and called in the police. Now HW have brought in a QC to see how to avoid this happening in future.

I know a fair bit as well and HW made a few glaring errors along the way as well.  They were forced into a corner with regards to the QC and a few senior mangers will be a bit nervous awaiting the outcome.

• 4 months later...

Any of you youngsters go to Art School? What sort of exam grades are required? My kid is really good at art but not so good at maths and science. I saw Glasgow want a decent grade in maths and that could scupper things for her. She's only in 3rd year at high school but it's something she has her eye on.