Who's Going To Uni?

On 26/03/2019 at 14:06, welshbairn said:

It used to be famous for having the highest suicide rate in the country, by the sounds of it things have improved.

It's because the Wallace monument is on their grounds so folk jumping off that were counted in their stats, or so I was told

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48091971

31% of graduates are over educated for their jobs, with arts and humanities graduates most likely to be working in a job that they are over qualified for.

I got a degree that's completely unrelated to the work I do, although the most important thing for me is my work experience.  I now have 16 years of experience and am in a job that is graduate level.  I do find that in large organisations there are plenty of paths to advancement, you don't necessarily have to have a qualification in what you are working in.  I worked with people who had  lots of technical qualifications as well as people who had doctorates in unrelated fields (Magical realism literature was one that I recall) as well as people who had no qualifications and left school at 15.

On 29/04/2019 at 14:59, ICTChris said:

31% of graduates are over educated for their jobs, with arts and humanities graduates most likely to be working in a job that they are over qualified for.

When I was made redundant, I found that being over-qualified was an issue when applying for 'regular' jobs as they were (understandably) concerned that I'd just leave when something I'd been in before popped up.   I'd imagine that this would be particularly difficult for humanities as I guess employers would think the same, but about humanity-based roles that are rather few and far between. 

More annoyingly, I was also under-qualified when looking for relevant work as I only needed a Bachelor's when I started out, but now every **** is asking for a masters because the market is over-flooded with graduates at bachelors level.  Thankfully I managed to find some people that understand that 9 years experience was better than an MSc with none and am now in a job that I wouldn't have had without my degree. 

On 29/04/2019 at 14:59, ICTChris said:

I got a degree that's completely unrelated to the work I do, although the most important thing for me is my work experience.  I now have 16 years of experience and am in a job that is graduate level.  I do find that in large organisations there are plenty of paths to advancement, you don't necessarily have to have a qualification in what you are working in.  I worked with people who had  lots of technical qualifications as well as people who had doctorates in unrelated fields (Magical realism literature was one that I recall) as well as people who had no qualifications and left school at 15.

The whole thing is hugely value laden and pre judged. A degree in History of art is not a higher level of education than 4 years apprenticeship in a trade. 

It is a different type of education but not "over". You could argue that a pointless degree is a lower level than something vocational or practical. 

I wonder how many engineering graduates work as waiters? 

The whole thing is hugely value laden and pre judged. A degree in History of art is not a higher level of education than 4 years apprenticeship in a trade. 
It is a different type of education but not "over". You could argue that a pointless degree is a lower level than something vocational or practical. 
I wonder how many engineering graduates work as waiters? 

My neighbour did history of art and went straight into working for an auction house for several years so it can, occasionally, be vocational.

She’s now working in a different industry but she’s still great to have in your pub quiz team.

I'm currently in 4th year of studying IT Management and my course up until 4th year was interesting. 4th year has been boring and tedious though. For example, I've recently completed my 6th project management module in a row. These were all mandatory. There are no optional modules in my course.

That being said, I'm looking to do a masters in finance. I've slowly been more and more interested in it.

Is a masters worth it these days?

If anyone gives a f**k, I need to think of a dissertation topic. Something that I can easily receive and generate data for.

I'm thinking of researching smart cctv being used for parking management? Comparing 2 unis different systems for parking etc...

2 minutes ago, MeadowArab said:

I'm currently in 4th year of studying IT Management and my course up until 4th year was interesting. 4th year has been boring and tedious though. For example, I've recently completed my 6th project management module in a row. These were all mandatory. There are no optional modules in my course.

That being said, I'm looking to do a masters in finance. I've slowly been more and more interested in it.

I’ve been toying idea doing one but just not sure what I want to do next or five yr goal. 

Six project management modules? That sounds absolutely awful [emoji23]

I'm quickly realising that doing a Masters degree was not the best of ideas, especially when it comes to needing to write a dissertation throughout the Summer. I am really struggling to become motivated enough to get large parts of it done, at the moment. 

• 1 month later...

Found out I graduated from Stirling with a 2:1 today, which I’m chuffed about. Even more chuffed that I’m going to Glasgow (okay, less chuffed about the fact I’ll be living in Glasgow) to do a masters in War Studies! Yet another year of successfully avoiding needing to find full time employment [emoji41]

22 minutes ago, Sooky said:

Found out I graduated from Stirling with a 2:1 today, which I’m chuffed about. Even more chuffed that I’m going to Glasgow (okay, less chuffed about the fact I’ll be living in Glasgow) to do a masters in War Studies! Yet another year of successfully avoiding needing to find full time employment emoji41.png

Congrats to you on a decent degree and best wishes for your MA.  The longer you put off work the better...

Congrats to you on a decent degree and best wishes for your MA.  The longer you put off work the better...

It is my aim to avoid that and council tax for as long as I can.

I'm quickly realising that doing a Masters degree was not the best of ideas, especially when it comes to needing to write a dissertation throughout the Summer. I am really struggling to become motivated enough to get large parts of it done, at the moment. 

Keep getting pestered with emails from the uni about doing an MEd. Could not sound more unappealing if it involved setting me on fire.

Postgraduate courses like Masters ones are what the universities like - they bring in fees. Lovely fees.  Fees all students have to pay, including Home (Scottish) ones.

Who We Want (in order):

Overseas students (call if 15k per year for 4 years)

RUK students (£9,250 per year for three of their 4 years)

Masters students (between £5k and £10 for 1 or 2 years)

SIMD students (come from the poorest 20% of the country or grew up in care - the govt. pays us extra for these)

Home (Scottish) students from the other 80% - if we take too many of these the government fine us.   

Edited by scottsdad