Who's Going To Uni?

• 5 months later...

Not sure if anyone on here is considering applying to uni. If they are, I can tell you that they'll almost be guaranteed a place somewhere.

This year we are in a "demographic dip". In other words, there are fewer 18 year olds than normal. As such applications to universities are down by between 5 and 20%, depending on the uni.

Published entry requirements are out the window.  The UCAS deadline means nothing. You can still apply.

One English uni I know of has made students unconditional offers based on predicted A level grades alone.  So, folk with middling GCSE results who are predicted BBB are getting unconditional offers. I mean, if they take these offers they literally could quit school and lie in bed till September, and rock up on campus with their GCSEs and get started.

On 10/19/2018 at 07:23, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Are folk really saying they cant be arsed to sit through up to 4 (four) hours of lectures a week?

In the last year I had 3 hrs a week (9-12 Wednesday) and even that felt like torture. 

6 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

In the last year I had 3 hrs a week (9-12 Wednesday) and even that felt like torture. 

I skipped straight into 2nd year (College HND) over the three years I did in terms of Lectures and Labs but excluding tutorials, I had:

2nd year: 19 hours/week

3rd year: 27 hours/week

4th year: 21 hours/week

Engineering was fun.

15 minutes ago, renton said:

I skipped straight into 2nd year (College HND) over the three years I did in terms of Lectures and Labs but excluding tutorials, I had:

2nd year: 19 hours/week

3rd year: 27 hours/week

4th year: 21 hours/week

Engineering was fun.

Yes, felt sorry for my sciencey friends. The idea with history was to spend all the free time reading rather than cultivating a string of addictions!  

5 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Not sure if anyone on here is considering applying to uni. If they are, I can tell you that they'll almost be guaranteed a place somewhere.

This year we are in a "demographic dip". In other words, there are fewer 18 year olds than normal. As such applications to universities are down by between 5 and 20%, depending on the uni.

Published entry requirements are out the window.  The UCAS deadline means nothing. You can still apply.

One English uni I know of has made students unconditional offers based on predicted A level grades alone.  So, folk with middling GCSE results who are predicted BBB are getting unconditional offers. I mean, if they take these offers they literally could quit school and lie in bed till September, and rock up on campus with their GCSEs and get started.

University of the West of Scotland also gives unconditionals on projected grades.

Giving unconditionals on predicted grades isn't all that uncommon. Take an English student - if they had straight A's at GCSE and straight A's at AS level, and predicted straight A's at A level, most places would make an unconditional offer based on both predicted grades and prior performance. 

This English uni offered unconditional places to applicants with predicted grades of BBB - applicants who had sat no AS levels and their GCSE grades were not very good.

Got an offer for Sports Business Management at Stirling. Will be 23 when I start and after 5 years of working full time it will be strange, I cant wait though!

It’s a great uni, enjoy! Will be sad to be leaving this summer.

Btw, with all the talk of how long you’re in uni for, with my dissertation happening this year I have a grand total of one hour of classes a week.

30 minutes ago, Allan Jacobsen said:

Stirling is a good university and the campus is good if you fancy a wander. My only criticism when I was there was that the admin staff for my undergraduate seemed to be perpetually unorganised.

It used to be famous for having the highest suicide rate in the country, by the sounds of it things have improved.

• 5 weeks later...

It's exam season up here, and everyone's studying like f**k in the library.

Anyway, five laptops have gone missing in the last week, so it means everyone is now studying in packs. Bit shite, as I like studying alone.

But at least I've met 5 people on my course who are actually good c***s - which is a rarity. Every cloud and that.