Who's Going To Uni?

10 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

I assume most these kids are passing? Uni’s don’t want to be chucking kids that are passing as they help with the rankings. Again, I assume that the grants uni’s get increase with the students they have? More kids enrolled, more cash in the bank. Also, if these kids are in halls then they’re paying...it’s a tougher decision to chuck folk helping pay the bills.

Precisely. It’s down to 2 things:

1. Keep rankings up if they’re doing well

2. £££

12 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

Again, I assume that the grants uni’s get increase with the students they have? 

Not here.  They have a capped number of home students they are allowed to take in.  Go over that and they're fined big time.

RUK fee paying students however......

Not here.  They have a capped number of home students they are allowed to take in.  Go over that and they're fined big time.
RUK fee paying students however......

What happens if they’re under a certain amount of home students? Amounts cut? I genuinely don’t know just assume they didn’t chuck c***s that barely attended (me, basically) out without very good reason.

9 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

What happens if they’re under a certain amount of home students? Amounts cut? I genuinely don’t know just assume they didn’t chuck c***s that barely attended (me, basically) out without very good reason.

They very rarely are. 

If it looks like its going to happen, they go to clearing and will let any old Hearts-supporting-Tennents-lager-supping jakey in to make the numbers up. 

3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

It gets worse.

Different class this time. I announced that during the tutorial, I would say a few words about their assignment (which is worth 50% of the mark). When I showed up, it was busier than usual. I thought - start with the coursework bit, which will take 10 minutes, then on to the "proper" tutorial. So I said my little bit about coursework - and then about 30 students stood up en masse and walked out. They didn't feel like staying and doing some proper work. 

Truth be told this group hardly every show up to classes, but I thought it was just ridiculous. Should have said my 10 minutes at the end of the tutorial. Make them work.

My institution has a fairly decent attendance and engagement monitoring process. Don't show up to classes -> don't get to sit the exam.

They very rarely are. 
If it looks like its going to happen, they go to clearing and will let any old Hearts-supporting-Tennents-lager-supping jakey in to make the numbers up. 

Like a smert c**t like me went through clearing. Unconditional offer received after my grades in 5 year. Put that on your mushroom supper!
Surely if they were to turf all these folk they would be in real danger of that happening?

19 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

Surely if they were to turf all these folk they would be in real danger of that happening?

Indeed. 

17 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I used to have one class on a Wednesday morning and that was it. Even with that my attendance was patchy. 

Like your dress sense then. 

On 4/10/2018 at 11:53, scottsdad said:

Return of an old topic here.

I organised a lab class for my students this week. Almost half of them (42) didn't show up. I got the usual emails ("Sorry I've been ill", "My granny fell ill", "I got confused about what day it was on"). For some reason I am unseasonably mad about this, and am about to send out an email made of fire to these shirkers. 

7 hours ago, scottsdad said:

It gets worse.

Different class this time. I announced that during the tutorial, I would say a few words about their assignment (which is worth 50% of the mark). When I showed up, it was busier than usual. I thought - start with the coursework bit, which will take 10 minutes, then on to the "proper" tutorial. So I said my little bit about coursework - and then about 30 students stood up en masse and walked out. They didn't feel like staying and doing some proper work. 

Truth be told this group hardly every show up to classes, but I thought it was just ridiculous. Should have said my 10 minutes at the end of the tutorial. Make them work.

Anyone else spot the common denominator?

Don't see the problem. It's not school. If you choose not to go to tutorials and pass then what's wrong with that? You'll more likely fail though.  I failed a year through not going, passed when i did go and had to pay my own fees for re-sitting.

I learned that i am responsible for motivating myself. Spoon fed conscripts like the recent  graduates in my work expect the spoon feeding to continue and blame others when they don't learn.

in summary, let them f**k themselves

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Anyone else spot the common denominator?

I reckon his next move will be to introduce happy and sad face stickers on their jotters; then it'll be time to Lee Wallace them just like the other loser. 

I found I gained almost nothing from attending university lectures. All the information was available from reading the suggested texts. Doing enough reading combined with looking at past paper questions was more than enough to do well.

I'd have been furious if I'd had to pay tution fees because the 4 yr course had could have comfortably condensed into 2 and I'd still have got the same degree classification.

1 hour ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

I found I gained almost nothing from attending university lectures. All the information was available from reading the suggested texts. Doing enough reading combined with looking at past paper questions was more than enough to do well.

I'd have been furious if I'd had to pay tution fees because the 4 yr course had could have comfortably condensed into 2 and I'd still have got the same degree classification.

How is the knitting career going?

The guys who walked out were all postgraduate students. They are full adults who have paid a lot of money to be back at uni. 

Looking at my attendance sheets, there are a handful who have never attended. At the end of semester we'll see how well they do in their exams. 

14 hours ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

I am paying through the nose right now for a course on US Federal and NY State law. They expect me to sit and watch four hours of lectures per week which cover the basics of each area of law. I have discovered, after 19 years of education, that sitting and listening to folk isn't my learning style. But if I read it in a book with a set of highlighters, I will take it in first time. So I sack off the lectures now and just read the books. Still, getting up halfway through a tutorial to make a point is absolute deviant behaviour.

The guys who walked out were all postgraduate students. They are full adults who have paid a lot of money to be back at uni. 

Looking at my attendance sheets, there are a handful who have never attended. At the end of semester we'll see how well they do in their exams. 

As ‘full adults’ they also have the right to not show up to your classes if they don’t want to. Perhaps as postgraduate students they’ve compared your sessions with their past experiences and have concluded that they’re a complete waste of time.

You clearly prefer bossing people around to serve your own ego though so I’d suggest switching to primary education.

9 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Over the past year where I work we (and specifically me) have been monitoring absence levels much more closely. Shockingly there was a correlation between absences and those who failed a year.

9 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Do you not have a rule that the students must attend - and complete - a certain percentage of 'compulsory' classes before being allowed to sit the final exam(s)? I thought this was standard practice. 

It's definitely the case for the course I am one of the (many) administrators on. Students can be debarred from sitting the end of year exams if they have had too many absences.

Not gonna lie, I walked out of two lectures last year during my postgrad but they were a massive, steaming pile of shite. Clearly had course hours to fill and someone magiced some lectures out of their arse. Waste of everyone's time. Would have felt bad were it not so awful and the fact that it was a 4-5 one so wasn't worth getting stuck in traffic coming home for

• 2 weeks later...

Don’t know how it works other places, but at Stirling the lectures are not mandatory and no attendances are taken. Lecture audio and slides must be recorded and uploaded online, so you don’t miss out if you don’t physically attend.

You need to attend at least 2/3rds of seminar classes, otherwise your grade is capped at 40%.