Who's Going To Uni?

8 hours ago, Cerberus said:

When you graduate don't put BSc, BEng or whatever at the end of emails or letters.

It makes you look like a fanny.

Dreadful advice - it doesn't make you look like a fanny it makes you look intelligent. 

The cross-over between "being bright" and "working hard" is probably enough for a 2:1. Different fields will claim that their degree is more 'difficult', but other than having an objectively larger workload I'm unconvinced by that argument.

Having split my joint honours between humanities and science I found that argument fairly persuasive.

• 1 year later...

Return of an old topic here.

I organised a lab class for my students this week. Almost half of them (42) didn't show up. I got the usual emails ("Sorry I've been ill", "My granny fell ill", "I got confused about what day it was on"). For some reason I am unseasonably mad about this, and am about to send out an email made of fire to these shirkers. 

5 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I organised a lab class for my students this week. Almost half of them (42) didn't show up. I got the usual emails ("Sorry I've been ill", "My granny fell ill", "I got confused about what day it was on"). For some reason I am unseasonably mad about this, and am about to send out an email made of fire to these shirkers. 

If Aberdeen Uni (and probably every other) is anything to go by, then the undergrads are probably gripped by Fresher's Flu*

*which means they have a sniffle and think it'll make a good excuse.

Edited by Hedgecutter

7 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Was it compulsory?

This happened to me at the start of one of my classes once. The tutor sent out an e-mail which effectively went "if you don't turn up next week you're getting grassed", that seemed to work. 

Who did the tutor threaten to grass on his students to?

12 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

Who did the tutor threaten to grass on his students to?

this was over four years ago it's not like I remember

Whoever was responsible for ensuring students turned up to things they had to turn up to to keep getting tuitions and bursaries paid, I'd assume

this was over four years ago it's not like I remember
Whoever was responsible for ensuring students turned up to things they had to turn up to to keep getting tuitions and bursaries paid, I'd assume

Hmm. I’m of the thinking this would be pointing himself out to his employers that he’s not a great tutor.

It gets worse.

Different class this time. I announced that during the tutorial, I would say a few words about their assignment (which is worth 50% of the mark). When I showed up, it was busier than usual. I thought - start with the coursework bit, which will take 10 minutes, then on to the "proper" tutorial. So I said my little bit about coursework - and then about 30 students stood up en masse and walked out. They didn't feel like staying and doing some proper work. 

Truth be told this group hardly every show up to classes, but I thought it was just ridiculous. Should have said my 10 minutes at the end of the tutorial. Make them work.

54 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

It gets worse.

Different class this time. I announced that during the tutorial, I would say a few words about their assignment (which is worth 50% of the mark). When I showed up, it was busier than usual. I thought - start with the coursework bit, which will take 10 minutes, then on to the "proper" tutorial. So I said my little bit about coursework - and then about 30 students stood up en masse and walked out. They didn't feel like staying and doing some proper work. 

Truth be told this group hardly every show up to classes, but I thought it was just ridiculous. Should have said my 10 minutes at the end of the tutorial. Make them work.

How come these folk don’t get emptied by the uni. Sounds like they are taking the piss

How come these folk don’t get emptied by the uni. Sounds like they are taking the piss

This. As a University of Life grad myself, I don’t understand how this all works but Shirley you’d only have to bin a handful before the rest of the little shits got the message. Why are these pampered snots graduating?

15 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

This. As a University of Life grad myself, I don’t understand how this all works but Shirley you’d only have to bin a handful before the rest of the little shits got the message. Why are these pampered snots graduating?

I went to college and chucked it after a year, but I agree if they can’t hack it get them punted surely their are also disrupting everyone else’s learning and wasting everyone’s time.

I assume most these kids are passing? Uni’s don’t want to be chucking kids that are passing as they help with the rankings. Again, I assume that the grants uni’s get increase with the students they have? More kids enrolled, more cash in the bank. Also, if these kids are in halls then they’re paying...it’s a tougher decision to chuck folk helping pay the bills.