Who's Going To Uni?

I'm returning to university next month, doing a presentation to second year management students as someone from industry, talking about business change.

Bricking it.

Relax. They'll be hungover and wondering if they're missing a good episode of Countdown or Homes Under the Hammer. Also, if there are any girls on laptops, there's a 75% chance they're on the Topshop/Asos website anyway.

7 hours ago, Marr1 said:

Bump

Just thought I'd say I passed all my first term courses and am doing the following this term:

Politics and International Relations
Property
Business Management
Alternate Methods of Dispute Resolution

I assume you're doing law or a law-based course as you're doing Property and ADR? Property is soul destroying. Good luck with that.

No, Politics is my degree

Is it an undergraduate you're doing? And you have to pick other courses to make up the credits in first and second year?

Just now, smpar said:

Is it an undergraduate you're doing? And you have to pick other courses to make up the credits in first and second year?

Yes, last term I chose History, Finance and Private Law.

It's a bit shit, cos all I want to do is study politics

Yes, last term I chose History, Finance and Private Law.

It's a bit shit, cos all I want to do is study politics

Aye, it's a shiter right enough. It does feel like a waste if you're stressing over subjects for which you didn't even come here to study.

Are you up at Aberdeen or RGU?

Aberdeen. In third year now though so I can just carry on with my own programme, I'd honestly say it's much less hassle than first and second year (studying wise) despite the workload increasing.

5 minutes ago, smpar said:

Aberdeen. In third year now though so I can just carry on with my own programme, I'd honestly say it's much less hassle than first and second year (studying wise) despite the workload increasing.

What is your degree in?

If I see you around campus I'll say hi

What is your degree in?

If I see you around campus I'll say hi

Likewise :)

I'm doing Education, so I spend most of my time in the MacRobert building.

How have you found Aberdeen/the uni so far?

2 minutes ago, smpar said:

Likewise :)

I'm doing Education, so I spend most of my time in the MacRobert building.

How have you found Aberdeen/the uni so far?

Really Enjoyed it, people are nice, got myself a part-time job that's good fun, plus £2 pints of Heineken in The Works @ Hillhead are pretty decent

Edited by Marr1

Really Enjoyed it, people are nice, got myself a part-time job that's good fun, plus £2 pints of Heineken in The Works @ Hillhead are pretty decent

Good stuff. I was in the halls on campus but the parties at Hillhead were quality.

Hillhead's been dead since October, no decent parties but will probably get better 

Aye, you're always going to get the better ones in September when nobody gives a f**k. Been to the old fire station yet? Usually get some decent parties on any given Saturday round there.

1 minute ago, smpar said:

Aye, you're always going to get the better ones in September when nobody gives a f**k. Been to the old fire station yet? Usually get some decent parties on any given Saturday round there.

No, might go tonight cos I slept in and missed my train to Dundee to go to the United game FFS

No, might go tonight cos I slept in and missed my train to Dundee to go to the United game FFS

That won't matter, United are getting pumped anyway :P

There's normally a good chance of getting your Nat King at the old fire station too.

22 hours ago, smpar said:

I'm also a 3rd year at Aberdeen uni and I must say I actually quite liked doing subjects outside my degree. So much so I'm now a joint honours student. I can see how it would be annoying for some though who know 100% what they want to study.

I'm also a 3rd year at Aberdeen uni and I must say I actually quite liked doing subjects outside my degree. So much so I'm now a joint honours student. I can see how it would be annoying for some though who know 100% what they want to study.

Yeah I can also see how it can open up so many different avenues and career choices for some folk, but as someone who knows exactly what I want to do when I finish uni, it can be a frustrating time.

22 hours ago, smpar said:

There's normally a good chance of getting your Nat King at the old fire station too.

Correct.

24 minutes ago, Mr Hahn said:

Also correct. I did Criminology as my original degree but got to study modules such as International Law, EU Law and so forth. Now I'm doing an Accelerated LLB.

1 hour ago, smpar said:

Yeah I can also see how it can open up so many different avenues and career choices for some folk, but as someone who knows exactly what I want to do when I finish uni, it can be a frustrating time.

Yeh I see that piont of view plus, correct me if I'm wrong, you'll do large parts of your honours years on placement? So the option of a joint degree probably won't be as possible.

1 hour ago, Allan Jacobsen said:

Correct.

Also correct. I did Criminology as my original degree but got to study modules such as International Law, EU Law and so forth. Now I'm doing an Accelerated LLB.

Are you also Aberdeen Uni? I hear our law department is particularly good. I did a business law course at Edinburgh and it was pretty interesting. I'd have thought it was the kind of course where the quality of the lecturer makes a difference. Ours was very good.