The New Raith Rovers Thread

In all seriousness, I'm dead chuffed with that signing. He was one of the few players to come through the second half of the season with pass-marks. The kind of guy who, if we play our cards right, we can build a defence around for years to come.

... by not playing, mostly.

The advantages we had with Watson is that he's from this side of the country and clearly has a number of friends at the club. I reckon the signing of Barr maybe just convinced him that we were the right club for him. The fact that he was being looked at by other clubs in the league and chose to stay is of great credit to the club.

Some of the reactions on facebook make me worry for the individual posters' futures. Derek Riordan??? As for the Gary Glen one I can only presume it's his mum posting with a fake profile.

Some of the reactions on facebook make me worry for the individual posters' futures. Derek Riordan??? As for the Gary Glen one I can only presume it's his mum posting with a fake profile.

Agreed. The guy wanting a 'big-name' striker got me. Who's he wanting us to go for? Ibrahimovic? Ronaldo? Guys like Riordan and O'Connor are finished, total wasters. I'd take Greig Spence ahead of either of them every day of the week.

Great news about Watson signing not sure if this will see Hill move on or not though, happy if he signs but will he want guaranteed first team football in my option yes, will he get it at RRFC? Hopefully the next news is the witch signing

We need competition for places, we need Hill to sign so that we have 3 centre backs for two positions. That keeps player son their toes, gets them to trian and play better and also means we are sure that if we have an injury, the other guy can slot in. No point siging two 'obvious' first picks and then some guy who has no realistic chance of keeping a first team place down. Anyway, from Hill's point of view - is he going to look at Barr and Watson and think 'gosh, they're so much better than me, I've got no chance" really doubt it.

We need competition for places, we need Hill to sign so that we have 3 centre backs for two positions. That keeps player son their toes, gets them to trian and play better and also means we are sure that if we have an injury, the other guy can slot in. No point siging two 'obvious' first picks and then some guy who has no realistic chance of keeping a first team place down. Anyway, from Hill's point of view - is he going to look at Barr and Watson and think 'gosh, they're so much better than me, I've got no chance" really doubt it.

Hope your right would be a decent 3 to choose from Hill always gives 100% and is a player I would like to stay

Would like Hill to stay as I think there will be games next year where playing three centre backs will be a good choice for us and, along with Watson and Barr, that could be a strong trio to go with.

exactly what I was thinking. Gives the option to mix the formation up a bit, which we didn't have last season

I see Gary Glen is being touted by someone on Facebook. I seem to recall we had him on loan in the season we were challenging for the league. Think he scored a winner in injury time against Ross County, which saw us go top of the league.

I don't recall him being any great shakes, but hey ho, neither are Rovers.

That was Jamie Mole. Gary Glen had the indignity of being part of the County team we pumped 4-1 at Victoria Park last season. I don't think he's ever done anything of note for any club he's played at. I'd be a bit disappointed if he did sign in all honesty.

So it was. Just checked and he's at Blyth Spartans now. Is Gary Glen better than him?

Glen looks shite, his goals to games ratio is poor. I think I'd rather sign a proven goalscorer from a league below than somebody who can't score in the league above us.

Glen looks shite, his goals to games ratio is poor. I think I'd rather sign a proven goalscorer from a league below than somebody who can't score in the league above us.

I'd far rather we looked down South for players rather than get these types who are pretty much destined on the downward spiral through the lower leagues. Falkirk have done well in recent years picking up three 20+ a season goalscorers in Farid (who admitedly didn't come from England), Lyle Taylor and Rory Loy (who had been in Scotland before to little success, before developing at Carlisle).

I'd far rather we took a gamble on someone from down in England who'd be more likely to cause problems than some has been who is filling up the time before they move down the levels.

I'd far rather we looked down South for players rather than get these types who are pretty much destined on the downward spiral through the lower leagues. Falkirk have done well in recent years picking up three 20+ a season goalscorers in Farid (who admitedly didn't come from England), Lyle Taylor and Rory Loy (who had been in Scotland before to little success, before developing at Carlisle).

I'd far rather we took a gamble on someone from down in England who'd be more likely to cause problems than some has been who is filling up the time before they move down the levels.

Completely agree although I highly doubt we'll sign anybody we haven't heard of.

If we do that, then we are going down the route of supplying them with accommodation, which imight be a cost we can't afford to carry.

In other news got my son his 1st Rovers season ticket today.

Gary Glen is exactly the kind of signing I'd expect Grant Murray to make. However while it may well be true, that roaster on Facebook obviously fancies himself as some kind of transfer gossip king and is linking us to every player under the sun.

Good news regarding Watson, thought a couple of months into last season he could be our captain for the next ten years if he so wished - pretty sure he'd be depressed to think about such a thing, but he was a great signing. Hopefully he and Barr can strike up a partnership, as Dougie Hill was absolutely not good enough last season. Still be happy to see him sign on but not as first choice.