The New Raith Rovers Thread

Good statement happy with that, I think everybody has fully accepted Murray is still going to be here come August so lets hope his signing wizardry is put to good use this summer are we have a squad able to compete next season and that he's learnt a thing or two this season for the next. He should spend the next few weeks on FM and work out a few good tactics IMO.

Back to the who do you keep who goes argument. I think with a bigger budget we can afford to be a bit ruthless with getting rid of this season's passengers. Ithink all championship clubs will attract players there is going to be huge coverage and you will get a crack at Rangers, Hearts and Hibs? in full stadiums and a chance to be on the telly. Still think the mix of full and part time is the way to go

Are Raith fans really that easy to win over? One, entirely predictable, statement and they are all fawning over it! Unreal.

Fans were looking for some acknowledgment that the second half of the league season was piss poor. Rather than Hutton's everythings great so back us ya c***s message, this shows us that someone inside Starks Park gets it which is a good thing.

The main concerns we had was with the budget for next season and the size of squad. That has now been addressed

The club and management have been frank with their assesment of the season and are aware what we need to do moving forward.

The issue with Murray is still outstanding for some tho with him still having 18 months left on his contract he wasnt going to be heading anywhere in the summer.

Are Raith fans really that easy to win over? One, entirely predictable, statement and they are all fawning over it! Unreal.

Actually agree. The bit that annoys me is

One of the main lessons learned was that although the quality of players on the books this season was very good, we perhaps did not have enough ‘strength in depth’ to cope with injuries to key players and suspensions or to enable the management to tactically change the team around in order to counter the strengths of, and attack the weaknesses of, different opponents.

Surely that's the job of Murray? It wasn't like we had games where there was 4 or 5 players out. When we lost 1 player, maybe at a time 2, from the squad we struggled. We could all tell at the start of the season that if we lost a winger we'd be in trouble and that we probably needed another midfielder. Murray has brought in a few players (Kevin McCann!?!?) but surely he has to accept full responsibility for not having the squad depth and for poor tactics. As has been said maybe a switch of the wingers or a change from 4-4-2 surely could have been tried instead of shoehorning players into certain positions.

It will still take a lot more to convince me we are moving forward and indeed going to be able to survive next season.

A cut and paste from my post on Fantalk:

I particularly like this part "One of the main lessons learned was that although the quality of players on the books this season was very good, we perhaps did not have enough ‘strength in depth’ to cope with injuries to key players and suspensions or to enable the management to tactically change the team around in order to counter the strengths of, and attack the weaknesses of, different opponents. "

Yes we had quality players. Well recognised.

Squad depth was a problem but not the reason the manager could not change the tactics. The manager did not change the tactics even when we had a full squad.
We could not counter our opponents because we used the same rigid formation every game.
Squad depth was not the issue that we could not get a shot on target against a 10 man Livi team.

Nice to see the club communicating and trying to engage with the fans. I am glad they appear to be listening. Now will they listen and get the product on the park fixed as well.

I think as well its just a relief to not be involved in the playoffs. The statement given is exactly what the fans needed to hear and gives us a bit of optimisium for next season

depending on signings....

My main issue is that 3 wins in 20 league games is completely unacceptable. Murray had a solid record in the transfer market, but outwith Baird some of choices he made during the season were bemusing. As mentioned, McCann came in for a few games, as has Mullen who has played everywhere except from right-back (where he usually plays). At the time, we desperately needed a center back. Even in terms of the center of midfield, we probably could have used a bit more experience.

The statement is better than nothing at all, which would have made it appear that the board hadn't acknowledged our brutal form. Having a squad with more depth is all well and good, but Murray has still kept himself restricted to a 4-4-2 based around wingers. He needs to show more willingness to try new ideas rather than sit with a plan A. Plan B currently consists of humping it long to Baird and Spence and hope they feed off the scraps. We can have great cup draws and win the Ramsden's Cup against an equally one dimensional Rangers team, but it isn't going to last forever. People won't pay £17 to watch that shite every other week and the board need to recognise that. We're not wanting Barcelona, Borussia Dortmund or Arsenal-esque with complete domination of games. We're a small club and nobody is expecting that. We should be looking at clubs like Accies and Falkirk, who have succeeded in playing passing games and winning football.

Actually agree. The bit that annoys me is

Surely that's the job of Murray? It wasn't like we had games where there was 4 or 5 players out. When we lost 1 player, maybe at a time 2, from the squad we struggled. We could all tell at the start of the season that if we lost a winger we'd be in trouble and that we probably needed another midfielder. Murray has brought in a few players (Kevin McCann!?!?) but surely he has to accept full responsibility for not having the squad depth and for poor tactics. As has been said maybe a switch of the wingers or a change from 4-4-2 surely could have been tried instead of shoehorning players into certain positions.

It will still take a lot more to convince me we are moving forward and indeed going to be able to survive next season.

We actually did try different formations - remember the 4-2-1-3 formation in December time when both wingers were out, the 4-5-1 at Easter road, both times, and a few times away as well. Bare in mind tactics is not necessarily equal to formations, and particularly in how Elliot was used, we've been quite flexible, or when subbing Smith for Spence or even Vaughn, that changes the tactics of how we play.

That's not to say that Murray should not be carrying the can for our shortcomings, but only to suggest that it's not as simple as he boneheadedly played the same 4-4-2 no matter what. I think our principal limitations were in not having a midfielder who could consistently play something other than as a pivot - limiting your offensive midfield options to wing play. Both Vaughn and Callachan showed some ability in that role at different times but neither is the finished, consistent product (which is why Elliot played in a more recessed position a lot of time). Even at that, we might have been in better shape if Fox hadn't deteriorated as he did, he seemed simply unable to keep up with play as the season got into the final quarter, but at the same time I don't think Moon and Callachan particularly worked well together- I think it left us looking a bit flat and restricted our passing options (something Fox was good with) and that goes from the back as well, at the start of the season Fox was a constant outlet for Watson from the back, but as the season wore on, Watson was forced more and more to hoof it over the top. The other big issue was in not having a genuine left footed player tha towuld allow us to mix things up more out wide.

At the start of the season, you'd say we looked like ahving a good first 11 but with no depth, I don't think we adequately replaced Watson when he was out and not haivng McGurn was as much a psychological thing for his defenders as it was a physical thing. Just knowing he was behind you surely would give you confidence as a defender, but the limiting of options for our midfield play seemed to hit us more, unable to replace an injured and out of form Fox, or to be able to change the way our wingers played.

So overall, I'm happy with what the board are saying, but then I've never been in the 'sack him' camp, even if my frustration has boiled over. it's clear we need a bigger squad - in reality we tried to get by with two centre halfs, two wingers and two central midfielders, and it's not enough.

I'm with you here. You only have to go back a few pages to see everyone going daft. As much as I agree with most of the statement it doesn't change much for me. Our league campaign was nothing short of abysmal.

What can we do? It's pretty clear Murray is going nowhere.

I'm happy there will have a bigger budget next season, I'm happy some players will be shown the door, I'm happy there will be some new faces (Murray has shown himself to be astute in the transfer market and get's my backing in that department) and I'm happy that the board have made it clear to the management that our form was horseshit (and presumable intolerable should there be a repeat).

I may as well give them the benefit of the doubt and try and look as the positives going forward to next season, it's better than sitting on here all summer moaning, which you can be assured I will if the team don't start well next season, Morton left it too late this season and if things go the same way for us next season I would hate for us to make the same mistake. So; Murray get's the benefit of the doubt for now IMO, but the pressure is most certainly on from the KO, and on him.

What was Donald Findlay's message to the Cowdenbeath fans? No surrender!

That's a cynical view that reveals that you don't fully comprehend what you're commenting on. The statement was required to reassure the fans that everybody at the club from board level to players are not oblivious to the frustrations that the fans are feeling.

Previous statements were patronising and ill-judged which has lead to discontentment growing and the possibility of diminished season ticket sales.

This statement addressed and abated the main aggrievances. The fans are happy to hear it, and it took very little effort from the club. This will ultimately lead to increased season ticket uptake, more dosh for the club, and rosier prospects for next season.

Predictable, maybe. Necessary? Absolutely!

Edited by BorisTheGrizzly

Considering Turnbull isn't actually backwards about coming forwards, I'd be amazed if he, and the rest of the board, didn't tell the management team where they, and the players went wrong last season. However, you wouldn't expect a wart-and-all insight on what went on in a meeting behind closed doors.

I think it's probably as good an explanation of where everyone stands as we could have hoped for.