The New Raith Rovers Thread

The reality is that there are very, very few fans who are in support of Murray. That is a very telling sign.

One of my mates that I go to the football with believes the win against Rangers in a cup final and finishing 7th is something anyone of us would have taken at the start of the season, and stands behind murray for that.

I think anyone who takes a Ramsdens cup final win (doesn't matter who it's against) and a league campaign which have the fans worrying about relegation the second half of the season, are deluded...yes, I loved the ramsden final win, but look at Partick from last year, got to the final and won the league, it's not impossible to fight on both fronts, therefore Murray has failed at what he was brought in to do and the board will realise that come January 2015 when we're already relegated.

One of my mates that I go to the football with believes the win against Rangers in a cup final and finishing 7th is something anyone of us would have taken at the start of the season, and stands behind murray for that.

I think anyone who takes a Ramsdens cup final win (doesn't matter who it's against) and a league campaign which have the fans worrying about relegation the second half of the season, are deluded...yes, I loved the ramsden final win, but look at Partick from last year, got to the final and won the league, it's not impossible to fight on both fronts, therefore Murray has failed at what he was brought in to do and the board will realise that come January 2015 when we're already relegated.

Coming 7th is the benchmark, so if that was the minimum objective at the start of the season, then Grant Murray had achieved that.

However, if the way you achieve that 7th place finish, is to gain loads of points and play well at the start of the season, then tail off towards Xmas, then have a total collapse in form and play football that nobody wants to watch, then it won't go down well with the majority of fans.

There seems to be a lack of discipline on and off the pitch. Players don't seem to care. Has Murray struggled with the transition from one of the boys to manager?

Possibly. Under Mcglynn we had an unbelievable team spirit and work ethic. Alas, that was coupled with some pretty primitive football.

Murray has kept the latter, lost the former, all with a better squad.

If our league form had been reversed and we'd pulled off some sort of great escape to finish 7th at least we might feel we were going forward. Instead we seem to be in some sort of irreversible decline, well until we face a glamour cup game anyway. In November I thought we were near enough certainties for the promotion play offs and ending up only 2 points ahead of the relegation play offs is beyond ridiculous.

Although the players have to shoulder a fair portion of the blame for this it's up to Murray to get the best out of them and he's rarely managed this. The players don't appear to be playing for him at all. His worst failing though is his inability to adapt his game plan at all during the course of the game. He rarely changes formation, almost all his substitutions are like for like, and not once this season did Anderson and Cardle swap wings for even 5 minutes. Yesterday was the prime example of a man who has no idea how to influence the outcome of a game.

Coming 7th is the benchmark, so if that was the minimum objective at the start of the season, then Grant Murray had achieved that.

However, if the way you achieve that 7th place finish, is to gain loads of points and play well at the start of the season, then tail off towards Xmas, then have a total collapse in form and play football that nobody wants to watch, then it won't go down well with the majority of fans.

A managers job is to get the best out of the players on the park. He failed in that area of the job.

There were fans of other teams before the season started, that had us down as winning the league, I, as well as many more rovers fans would have has us down as stick-ons for the promotion play-offs, so for us to finish 7th isn't really achieving anything.

In saying that, I would give my left arm for a 7th placed finish next year, and that's why I'm now hoping pars f*ck up in their play-offs as we need Ayr, Stranraer, or Cowden to be in this league next season to take the fall as well as Alloa(hopefully).

7th, the Ramsdens cup and a Scottish Cup QF is a decent season. The alarming run of form and absolute garbage we have served up in 2014 is why we should be looking to change. Next season has potential to be brilliant..... if we are competitive. I can't see us being unless there are some drastic changes.

Murray has done a decent job but we look out of ideas and motivation. Time for a change.

7th, the Ramsdens cup and a Scottish Cup QF is a decent season. The alarming run of form and absolute garbage we have served up in 2014 is why we should be looking to change. Next season has potential to be brilliant..... if we are competitive. I can't see us being unless there are some drastic changes.

Murray has done a decent job but we look out of ideas and motivation. Time for a change.

There's one thing for sure, we can be certain, for the first game next season, he'll have what we all think will be a cracking team as he did brilliantly in the transfer window last summer and then in January when he brought Baird back, he knows how to handle transfer windows anyway, so give him that, then punt him before the season starts ;) the thing that worries me is that, he's become pals with the players which shows he'll probably offer everyone a contract, and only half that team at a push merits a contact offer..

For me, that is the big question: Can Murray make us competitive again?

If he can't there's not much difference in being 3-0 down at home to Dumbarton or 3-0 down at home to Rangers, other than the crowd is bigger.

The big question should be extended to: Can Murray make us competitive again on a consistent basis?

I don't think Murray is going anywhere soon. Right or wrongly the Ramsden Cup win has bought him a bit longer at the club. However I can forsee us starting the season really badly and then punting him around November when the new manager will have much more limited options regarding signings.

I don't think the issue is that Murray is 'pals' with too many of the players. He can't be accused of picking his favourites - just about everyone in the squad had spent some time on the bench this season.

I think one of his biggest problems was that he didn't replace himself and Laurie Ellis in the dressing room. We essentially don't have any senior players. Remember the discussion at the start of the season about who would be named captain? It shouldn't be like that. You should be able to tell by watching a game or two who the 'captain' is. That's one thing he needs to bear in mind when he's bringing in players for next season - we need a leader on the park.

Young managers have to learn from their mistakes. John McGlynn did. I can remember a game up at Brechin in his first season when Rovers fans (c***s, as I recall) were actively cheering the opposition because they wanted us to lose badly so that McGlynn would be sacked.

Grant Murray has shown he can build an excellent first eleven (lest we forget our early season form and our performances against Hibs and Rangers) but his squad wasn't deep enough or resilient enough. He'll address those issues, he has to.

He's not perfect. But he's taken his first job in a highly competitive division and stayed competitive. Look at Morton for an example of how easy it is to completely bomb in this league, and how a change of manager can do nothing to help.

Grant Murray isn't sitting in his office fourteen hours a day staring at the walls and trying to do his Rubik's cube. He knows the problems that have dogged the team over the last few months. I think he's shown enough this season to be trusted to build on his strengths and address his weaknesses, rather than handing the reins to an unknown.

It's easy to look at a losing team and say 'they don't want it enough' or 'the manager is clueless' but can anyone who's actually been watching the matches say that this team lacks effort? At certain times we've lacked just about everything else, but the heart has always been there. And as for the manager being clueless - was he clueless, did he fluke the first half of the season and the Cup runs?

I don't think the issue is that Murray is 'pals' with too many of the players. He can't be accused of picking his favourites - just about everyone in the squad had spent some time on the bench this season.

I think one of his biggest problems was that he didn't replace himself and Laurie Ellis in the dressing room. We essentially don't have any senior players. Remember the discussion at the start of the season about who would be named captain? It shouldn't be like that. You should be able to tell by watching a game or two who the 'captain' is. That's one thing he needs to bear in mind when he's bringing in players for next season - we need a leader on the park.

Young managers have to learn from their mistakes. John McGlynn did. I can remember a game up at Brechin in his first season when Rovers fans (c***s, as I recall) were actively cheering the opposition because they wanted us to lose badly so that McGlynn would be sacked.

Grant Murray has shown he can build an excellent first eleven (lest we forget our early season form and our performances against Hibs and Rangers) but his squad wasn't deep enough or resilient enough. He'll address those issues, he has to.

He's not perfect. But he's taken his first job in a highly competitive division and stayed competitive. Look at Morton for an example of how easy it is to completely bomb in this league, and how a change of manager can do nothing to help.

Grant Murray isn't sitting in his office fourteen hours a day staring at the walls and trying to do his Rubik's cube. He knows the problems that have dogged the team over the last few months. I think he's shown enough this season to be trusted to build on his strengths and address his weaknesses, rather than handing the reins to an unknown.

It's easy to look at a losing team and say 'they don't want it enough' or 'the manager is clueless' but can anyone who's actually been watching the matches say that this team lacks effort? At certain times we've lacked just about everything else, but the heart has always been there. And as for the manager being clueless - was he clueless, did he fluke the first half of the season and the Cup runs?

Yeah, pretty much agree with all of that.

The reality is that there are very, very few fans who are in support of Murray. That is a very telling sign.

There are very few fans who actually support the club, never mind the manager.

How many of those 3500-4000 fans at Easter Road have been to 10 games this season?

You'd think Dunfermline were coming down from the Premiership the way folk are bigging them up to be some sort of super power in this league. The khunts aren't even here yet.

You'd think Dunfermline were coming down from the Premiership the way folk are bigging them up to be some sort of super power in this league. The khunts aren't even here yet.

The cuntish part of me is hoping they come to grief in the play-offs.