The New Raith Rovers Thread

I'm aware of that, but he hasn't really performed well since the autumn, despite being afforded plenty opportunities. Only twice this season has Spence scored a goal and then not started the next game. One of those I'm sure he was injured. If he'd played better, and scored more goals, he'd have had more game time.

He's got nine goals in the league this season, three of which were penalties. He also scored twice in the Ramsden's and once in the League Cup. He scored eight of those twelve goals between the third of August and the thirteenth of October.

(As an aside, I've just seen that Dougie Hill has only received six yellow cards this season. He's also scored five goals. I think that red card against Dumbarton has overshadowed the work that he's put into improving his disciplinary record.)

fair comment but how many games has he actually played from the start as opposed to coming on us a sub?damn site harder to impress or impose yourself on a game playing bit parts here.just feel he gets a raw deal . dont get me wrong,undecided on him but like a previous poster i think he has a bit of talent and feel with an extended run of games he may have proved it

By virtue of taking penalties. How many is he on for the season through them?

12 goals,3 penalties but i dont see what difference it makes if 3 were from the spot or 3 yard tap ins the all count towards the goal tally .i would say theres more pressure taking and scoring a penalty than scoring from open play .theres many a player/striker who miss from the spot .

Edited by Rovers_Lad

I haven't been overly impressed by Spence this season either, however, his goal scoring record is pretty good in a Raith shirt in general. If I remember correctly it's 20, which is pretty good considering he's only started about 35 games.

He'd probably be worthwhile keeping on, but he'd definitely have to up his performance levels next season.

Thing with Donaldson is he is useful to have on the bench with him being able to play anywhere along the back. Our priority will be getting ourselves a new left/wing back along with at least 2 new midfielders

Hopefully start getting news filtering through soon about who has signed on. Like to think anyone who doesn't want to stay (Moon, Elliot?) would of let Murray know early on so he can start looking elsewhere

McGurn - Sign
Laidlaw - Undecided wasn't good enough to cover this year is he good enough for next year

Robinson - If we don't keep Laidlaw offer No2
Booth - Would sign if we could but he will be at Hibs
Hill - liability too many red cards but could stay as 3rd choice as he is P/T but not a starting player
Watson - Sign
Thomson - Undecided see what else is available
Donaldson - Sign, Still young, not 1st choice for any position but can cover several we need versatile back up players
Ellis - Needs to hang his boots up
Cardle - Sign
Moon - Sign
Fox - Can leave
Callachan - Sign give another year see how he develops
Anderson - Undecided see what else is available
Baird - Sign
Elliot - Undecided see what else is available also too much back chat to referee's
Spence - P/T or leave
Smith - Undecided see what else is available
Vaughan - Sign give another year see how he develops

I can see Baird signing had two chances at the top level and failed only cubs at the top of our league would tempt him in my opinion and can't see Falkirk/Hamilton going for him and Dundee already had him his best chance of top division football is now probably to try and get Raith there. Keep the spine of McGurn, Watson, Moon,and Baird with Cardle on the wing and build around that. The other positions see what is available and sign anything we can improve on what we have if there isn't better resign the players. Obviously this is down to us keeping the 5 but I think we should try to keep these 5 to build around. Have a strong starting 11 but we need a few players who are versatile if we don't have a large squad.

Hill as 3rd choice? You realise its not April fools. With Elliot we should be pulling out all the stops to get him signed for another year, yes he backchats and picks up stupid bookings but he is our best striker. Vaughan and Callaghan should be tied down to long term deals

Hill as 3rd choice? You realise its not April fools. With Elliot we should be pulling out all the stops to get him signed for another year, yes he backchats and picks up stupid bookings but he is our best striker. Vaughan and Callaghan should be tied down to long term deals

To be our best striker this season is hardly an achievement though. Elliot has been pretty waash since his injury. I'd be pretty disappointed if we were pulling out all the stops to get him back. Offer him a deal, fine, but I wouldn't be battering down his door for an answer.

We have shipped goals for fun this season so something has to change at the back and I would keep Watson over Hill, agree with Vaughan and Callaghan should be tied down to long term deals but will the board offer long term deals? Elliot was good first half but since he returned from injury do you think he has played well enough what's his cards - goals ratio? he's been out scored by Spence so hardly the first name on the team sheet . I would keep him if there isn't better about but we should look. We haven't been good enough this year so we need changes keeping almost the same starting 11 isn't going to change anything.

Edited by San Starko Rover

We have shipped goals for fun this season so something has to change at the back and I would keep Watson over Hill, agree with Vaughan and Callaghan should be tied down to long term deals but will the board offer long term deals? Elliot was good first half but since he returned from injury do you think he has played well enough what's his cards - goals ratio? he's been out scored by Spence so hardly the first name on the team sheet . I would keep him if there isn't better about but we should look. We haven't been good enough this year so we need changes keeping almost the same starting 11 isn't going to change anything.

measuring Elliot's performance purely by goals scored is not doing the guy justice. He's a battering ram when you need him to be, and for all the stick he took on the back of the Cowden game, he did set up Spence for the consolation goal. he's skillful, strong and brings his team mates into the game as well, the trick is keeping him interested. Elliot for me would be one of the certs for trying to keep, along with Moon (who I'm sure will go - he's had a good season and is of a decent pedigree with SPL experience) Watson, Baird, Cardle and Hill*.

There are two or three places where we need to change it a bit, we definitely need a bit more pace in midfield and a proper left footed wide player, but for the most part I'd argue it's depth of squad rather than a dearth of quality that's killed us.

*edited to add: assuming we don't lose by 5 or 6, Cowden don't win by the same and Alloa wins their game.

Edited by renton

How many of spence's goals were from sub appearances, rather than starting the match? Would try and keep him but it would be as a game-changer and not starting 11, so for that matter, he'll be off but I can see Baird and smith staying and possibly Elliot as well, but we shall see over the next few weeks probably..

How many of spence's goals were from sub appearances, rather than starting the match? Would try and keep him but it would be as a game-changer and not starting 11, so for that matter, he'll be off but I can see Baird and smith staying and possibly Elliot as well, but we shall see over the next few weeks probably..

I wouldn't be surprised if almost half his goals had been as a sub.

Unfortunately when he's started games this season he's done very little to impress.

Agreed the defence has been pretty honking tho we have looked a bit better since Watson came back. Dougie should still be a starter for us. He has had a couple of shakey games recently but he has formed a good partnership with Watson. If Watson has been offered the captain armband for next season i wouldn't be shocked (or even bothered) if Thomson goes as well. So we are looking for a new left and right back potentially plus any backup players we can afford to take on

Elliot has proven he has the ability and quality to drag us back into games and he has done it a few times (his double at Starks earlier in the season a prime example). Yes he hasn't been back to his best since he was injured but he still contributes. If we can keep him and Baird for next season il be delighted. As Renton mentioned Moon has been a stand out for us and will probably go but if we can keep him and keep blooding Callachan alongside him when possible and add a bit more depth to cover, particular the wide areas then hopefully we can see a bit of a better season

The first thing to be done is identify the passengers and release them, cruel as this may be. For me that means Fox, Spence, Smith and Mullen should go. Robinson does not come into this category but we can't have 3 keepers so he would go too. The time is right for Ellis to retire and that's harsh on Laurie but he hasn't had his best season.

Secondly, Murray needs to look at the youngsters who occupied the bench for much of the season (Matthews, McCroary etc) and make a decision on their futures. For the coming season the younger players need to be of the calibre of Laidlaw, Callachan, Vaughan and Donaldson - players who can make a contribution. And that will be harsh on Matthews, McCroary etc, who will feel they haven't had a chance.

Last close season Murray signed Cardle, Watson, Moon, Booth, Elliot and Fox to give us a pool of only 17. If the money available is the same we're going to have a very real problem because we must add some depth for what will be an extremely competitive league. When it comes down to money our board is one of the best in the league. Only they will know how much they can spend but I'd rather have a pool of 20 with no bench warmers than go down the 'youngsters on the bench to prove we've got a youth policy' route.

No passengers next season, please.

ETA This from FFP.

Edited by Beachbum

The first thing to be done is identify the passengers and release them, cruel as this may be. For me that means Fox, Spence, Smith and Mullen should go. Robinson does not come into this category but we can't have 3 keepers so he would go too. The time is right for Ellis to retire and that's harsh on Laurie but he hasn't had his best season.

Secondly, Murray needs to look at the youngsters who occupied the bench for much of the season (Matthews, McCroary etc) and make a decision on their futures. For the coming season the younger players need to be of the calibre of Laidlaw, Callachan, Vaughan and Donaldson - players who can make a contribution. And that will be harsh on Matthews, McCroary etc, who will feel they haven't had a chance.

Last close season Murray signed Cardle, Watson, Moon, Booth, Elliot and Fox to give us a pool of only 17. If the money available is the same we're going to have a very real problem because we must add some depth for what will be an extremely competitive league. When it comes down to money our board is one of the best in the league. Only they will know how much they can spend but I'd rather have a pool of 20 with no bench warmers than go down the 'youngsters on the bench to prove we've got a youth policy' route.

No passengers next season, please.

ETA This from FFP.

Agree with most of it, I would like us to keep Mullen, this boy has a lot to offer. I'm still on the fence concerning Spence, it'll be upto Grant at the end of the day. I'd like for us to target some of the part timers in our league. Especially Dumbarton players, as a team they have been awesome, wish we could tap into what Ian Murray does for them ha ha.

Between fantalk and Facebook you can read some pretty over the top, cringy crap.

However I read one comment tonight that I guess if true would probably annoy me more than any inept display.

Somebody was talking about his son collecting signatures and many players obliged but others had scrawled Pele or Henrik Larsson for a laugh. Just a bit disappointing really.

That is shite if it did indeed happen and shows a total lack of professionalism.

I'd imagine the management team would go right through players who did that if they knew who they were, and rightly so.