The New Raith Rovers Thread

He was also sent off against Deveronvale in the Cup.

Despite the six red cards in two seasons, I'd keep him too. The big thing for me is how Murray addresses the third centre half. This season it was clearly supposed to be Ellis, whilst Donaldson was supposed to be off to Peterhead to learn his trade. I think we were all surprised at just how poor Ellis was, and I suppose it's to the credit of the management team that they recognised that and brought Donaldson back to replace Ellis as first choice back-up.

Do we bring in a (costly) first-team-ready centre half to go in as direct competition for Hill and Watson, or do we keep Donaldson as the primary replacement and bring in a cheap man to fill a squad place (or promote Bates from within)? I'd be inclined to go with the former but it all depends on how Murray wants to prioritise his budget.

Donaldson had a bit of a 'mare at centre half, but he's still young. I'm not sure what to do. I would really like to see us bring youth players through, but looking at our youth players, none of them have really set the heather on fire. The one I like the most is Vaughan and he's had little game time since Christmas.

If they can get Donaldson up to speed over the summer, then I'd go with him. If not, they'll have to get someone in.

Who is Bates?

I'll be very disappointed if we keep Spence. He's been woeful since October and, top scorer or not, he doesn't merit a contract. I think he'll be quite lucky if he's playing full-time football next year. Baird is the only one of the strikers we should be hell bent on keeping, so it's good to hear we're keen on trying to get him to stay. I'd be happy enough if Elliot stayed, though it certainly won't be a disaster if he doesn't as he's been pretty ineffective since returning from injury.

Donaldson can leave. He is at best second choice for each position he plays and I'm afraid I can't ever see him being a regular. He is never going to make a great centre-back, and he's a clear second or third choice at full-back. A shame, but we can't afford to be carrying players who are held in such regard. Look at Callaghan - he's really stepped it up this year and got himself in the frame for a starting position. Donaldson, alas, hasn't.

We also need a new CB; in addition to whst I've just said, Laurie is unfortunately past it.

Edited by Michael W

Donaldson had a bit of a 'mare at centre half, but he's still young. I'm not sure what to do. I would really like to see us bring youth players through, but looking at our youth players, none of them have really set the heather on fire. The one I like the most is Vaughan and he's had little game time since Christmas.

If they can get Donaldson up to speed over the summer, then I'd go with him. If not, they'll have to get someone in.

Who is Bates?

He was the equal of Hemmings a few times on Saturday.

I'll be very disappointed if we keep Spence. He's been woeful since October and, top scorer or not, he doesn't merit a contract. I think he'll be quite lucky if he's playing full-time football next year. Baird is the only one of the strikers we should be hell bent on keeping, so it's good to hear we're keen on trying to get him to stay. I'd be happy enough if Elliot stayed, though it certainly won't be a disaster if he doesn't as he's been pretty ineffective since returning from injury.

Donaldson can leave. He is at best second choice for each position he plays and I'm afraid I can't ever see him being a regular. He is never going to make a great centre-back, and he's a clear second or third choice at full-back. A shame, but we can't afford to be carrying players who are held in such regard. Look at Callaghan - he's really stepped it up this year and got himself in the frame for a starting position. Donaldson, alas, hasn't.

We also need a new CB; in addition to whst I've just said, Laurie is unfortunately past it.

The only game this season that I've been impressed by Callachan, was the game with Hibs in the cup. For me, the jury is still out on him too. Again though, he's not 21 until September, so he has time to develop.

Unfortunately for Spence his form has been awful for months. If he is looking for more minutes on the pitch then he has done little lately to earn them with us.

I would keep Elliot and hope he has it drummed into him to leave his petty tantrums in the dressing room before kick off, does him no favours with fans let alone with referees.

Elliot and Baird have the makings of a great partnership, the two haven't played too much together and would only get better if both signed up...

Would like to see us sign another striker before considering Spence or Smith though out of the two I would go with Smith every day of the week.

I would offer contracts to McGurn (if fit) Cardle (maybe inconsistent but a game changer) Watson (and make him captain) Moon as well.

Probably Anderson too while Thomson and Hill are hmmmm mibee's depending who else is out there as replacements, suppose with Hill being part time he is probably worth another contract.

In terms of numbers, this season has showed us that we really need a couple more 'quality' players to compete for positions and cover injuries/suspensions. Next couple of months is going to be very interesting

On topic, Donaldson was better than Hemmings on the day, apart from the bit where he was nowhere near him for the lob for the first goal.

I think our front two were poor on sat. Worked as hard as i've ever seen them but poor decisions from greg kept hemmings out of the game. He had the one good chance at the start of the second half he should have done better with but nothing apart from that.

I've been meaning to have a look at some historical information for a while, and I finally got round to it tonight.

I can officially reveal that Dougie Hill is by far and away the most sent off player in the history of Raith Rovers Football Club.

I've managed to get back as far as 1960, and in that time we've been shown 130 red cards (well, red cards themselves were introduced some time in the mid-70s, but you know what I mean...) - eight of which have gone to Dougie Hill.

Other players to record multiple ordering offs:

Shaun Dennis, Iain Davidson: 5

Donald Urquhart, Stephen Simmons: 4

Sacha Opinel: 3

Chris Silvestro, Martin Prest, Stevie Tosh, Craig McEwan, Craig Dargo, Danny Lennon, George McGeachie, Jock McStay, Paul Smith, Brian McDonough, Robert Reid, Allan Walker, Mark Campbell, Reece Donaldson: 2

Edited by Raith Against The Machine

Simmons was shown at least 4 in his time here. He was sent off v Alloa the year we won the league and got three in our first season back up. I'm sure he was also red carded the next season as well, which maybe ties him with Davidson and Dennis.

Why do I remember shit like this?

Simmons was shown at least 4 in his time here. He was sent off v Alloa the year we won the league and got three in our first season back up. I'm sure he was also red carded the next season as well, which maybe ties him with Davidson and Dennis. Why do I remember shit like this?

I had missed the one against Alloa (Season 2008/09 has been a little overlooked in general...) but I'm pretty sure it's just the three. One against Dunfermline and one against Caley Thistle.

I've been meaning to have a look at some historical information for a while, and I finally got round to it tonight.

I can officially reveal that Dougie Hill is by far and away the most sent off player in the history of Raith Rovers Football Club.

I've managed to get back as far as 1960, and in that time we've been shown 125 red cards (well, red cards themselves were introduced some time in the mid-70s, but you know what I mean...) - eight of which have gone to Dougie Hill.

Donald Urquhart: 4

Sacha Opinel, Stephen Simmons: 3

Chris Silvestro, Martin Prest, Stevie Tosh, Craig McEwan, Craig Dargo, Danny Lennon, George McGeachie, Jock McStay, Paul Smith, Brian McDonough, Robert Reid, Allan Walker, Mark Campbell: 2

His fans nickname really should be 'red card'. I was thinking, like 'sick note'. Edited by Scary Bear

I've managed to get back as far as 1960, and in that time we've been shown 125 red cards (well, red cards themselves were introduced some time in the mid-70s, but you know what I mean...) - eight of which have gone to Dougie Hill.

Donald Urquhart: 4

Sacha Opinel, Stephen Simmons: 3

Chris Silvestro, Martin Prest, Stevie Tosh, Craig McEwan, Craig Dargo, Danny Lennon, George McGeachie, Jock McStay, Paul Smith, Brian McDonough, Robert Reid, Allan Walker, Mark Campbell: 2

Reece Donaldson's had 2 red cards this season as well, one away to Dumbarton and one at home to QotS