The New Raith Rovers Thread

Nothing against Bonar but he was released from Falkirk without breaking into the 1st team, played a handful of games in the bottom Div then wasn't considered good enough for Alloa. The level he played in Australia is probably no better than our 2nd/3rd Div.

He has not had nearly enough game time surely for us fans to judge him? To suggest he is better than our strikers based on his two cameo appearances borders on stupidity!

If Murray considers him good enough to offer him (what I presume would be part time) a contract then fine but I'm not losing any sleep over the situation!

Nothing against Bonar but he was released from Falkirk without breaking into the 1st team, played a handful of games in the bottom Div then wasn't considered good enough for Alloa. The level he played in Australia is probably no better than our 2nd/3rd Div.

He has not had nearly enough game time surely for us fans to judge him? To suggest he is better than our strikers based on his two cameo appearances borders on stupidity!

If Murray considers him good enough to offer him (what I presume would be part time) a contract then fine but I'm not losing any sleep over the situation!

If he is 'listed' on Wednesday against Hearts I would suggest that Murray does consider him good enough, time will only tell.

I didn't say he was better but looks stronger when he's on the ball and doesn't whinge like a jessie when he's tackled or anybody from the opposing team comes near him. In the 2 games so far, Elliot has spent more time moaning than playing football and smith has spent most of his game time on his ar#e.

Both Elliot and smith are good forwards but very similar in their style of play and bonar would give us something different up front and he can also play on the right wing.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Can't argue that Elliot and Smith haven't looked world beaters but these are friendlies. These guys HAVE contracts and their main aim in these games is to improve fitness levels. We won't see the 'real' players properly til the real stuff starts.

A trialist given only a short run out is going to be trying his heart out to get involved and be noticed. I am not arguing with you, I hope the boy turns out to be a gem if we sign him, just pointing out it is very difficult to judge on the very little we have seen so far.

Can't argue that Elliot and Smith haven't looked world beaters but these are friendlies. These guys HAVE contracts and their main aim in these games is to improve fitness levels. We won't see the 'real' players properly til the real stuff starts.

A trialist given only a short run out is going to be trying his heart out to get involved and be noticed. I am not arguing with you, I hope the boy turns out to be a gem if we sign him, just pointing out it is very difficult to judge on the very little we have seen so far.

that's what I've been saying all along lol just want to see him get more time on the pitch instead of 10 or 15 minutes so we can get a proper look at him. In the short spells he's had on the pitch he's looked stronger on the ball than the other two. Whoever gets the nod will be partnering spence, imo.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Pie & Bovril mobile app

If he does sign then it should be as cover for Anderson, there is no point us throwing money at another striker when we have 3 good strikers in the squad already which gives us a bit of variety and also competition. If we signed him as a striker and our strikers kick off the season playing well he wont get a sniff of a game I would rather look at midfield cover and that elusive centre half

Just as a point as well I think Anderson may make a decent option as an emergency forward as well

Just a note on Donaldson he has looked ok at centre half so far and certainly wouldnt have issues him covering with injuries/suspensions etc but we need a commanding body in there someone Mark Campbell/Marv esk

Just a note on Donaldson he has looked ok at centre half so far and certainly wouldnt have issues him covering with injuries/suspensions etc but we need a commanding body in there someone Mark Campbell/Marv esk

If Dougie Hill plays this season to the level we know he's capable of then we've already got that base covered.

We have three signed senior strikers, someone 'who's going to score goals' should be covered by that.

While we definitely need a centre back, and I'd need to see the guy play a bit more, but he looks like he could give us a different option, a plan B, which we haven't always had. Something to think about.

"should" being the operative word.

albeit friendlies and apart from spences bundled goal against sheffield united none of our three signed strikers have looked like scoring or even looked dangerous

If he plays the way he did in his 2nd season with us I would have no issues at all, tho we still need cover for injuries etc, Im glad we do have Donaldson to basically cover anywhere along the back 4 if needed

albeit friendlies and apart from spences bundled goal against sheffield united none of our three signed strikers have looked like scoring or even looked dangerous

Should is always the operative word, which renders your previous statement about needing someone 'who will score goals' superfluous since you don't know that the current signed players won't, and can't be certain either that any alternative you can think of definitely would either.

Chances in both friendlies were at a premium, playing teams who's quality is far in excess of anyone we are going to play this year. Friendlies are simply not a good barometer for how a striker is likely to do in front of goal. Either you are playing a side much better than your own, in which case it becomes a battle for midfield, your strikers get starved of service and drop deep, or you are playing a side much worse and it becomes a turkey shoot.

The last three or four years have not given an acucrate representation of how our strikers are going to perform when the league starts.

I remember my dad making a similar observation in pre season 21 years ago.

Wondering if I've been inadvertently taking powerful medication, such is my confusion with some of the doubts being expressed here. We were surprisingly decent against SUFC and in my opinion were better on Friday and played HFC off the park. Chances are at a premium against better opposition and half our team were elsewhere last season. If the momentum is maintained against HMFC and ICT we'll be fine and dandy when it comes to Alloa, Hamilton, Falkirk, Dundee etc. In the words of Corporal Jones, "Don't panic." (Prepares himself to watch us get gubbed twice more in friendlies, lose to comedy teams in comedy cups and be slaughtered by Hamilton)

We have a good squad and we do have good strikers but it takes time for them to gel and be able to work out player movements. I have been encouraged with what Ive seen and there hasnt been anyone really struggle or put in a bad performance yet. If when we get a couple of games into the season we havent scored any goals then I might be concerned but I really cant see that happening. We actually have more of a goal threat in this squad than we did last year both from up top and midfield

Wondering if I've been inadvertently taking powerful medication, such is my confusion with some of the doubts being expressed here. We were surprisingly decent against SUFC and in my opinion were better on Friday and played HFC off the park. Chances are at a premium against better opposition and half our team were elsewhere last season. If the momentum is maintained against HMFC and ICT we'll be fine and dandy when it comes to Alloa, Hamilton, Falkirk, Dundee etc. In the words of Corporal Jones, "Don't panic." (Prepares himself to watch us get gubbed twice more in friendlies, lose to comedy teams in comedy cups and be slaughtered by Hamilton)

I'm mostly with you there.

Note to everyone else: When peegee is being more positive about things than you are it's time to take a long hard look at yourself.