The New Raith Rovers Thread

Is there actually a discussion about someone wanting to earn more at a higher level happening here? The fact we have an ambitious manager is a good thing. If he does well enough to earn a job at a higher then he will have done well with us. It's football ffs. That's how it works. 

2 hours ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Raft of new signings coming over the next few days.................. I can't wait

Small raft…17 currently signed, 1 possible…four total defenders, and two total keepers. So that’s a keeper plus at least 3 defenders to come in…if Spencer re-signs, we could see 2 or 3 attacking signings, without Spencer probably a DM and 1 or 2 attackers.

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

If he didn’t want to be offski he wouldn’t have gone to the interview.

Why do you say that? I find it interesting that Potter apparently drove him to Dundee, which would suggest IM and Potter had a discussion on the way back. If the Board had rejected Dundee’s request to talk to IM, it would likely have soured the relationship. For all we know, the Board may have told IM to go and listen, rather than IM being happy to go talk…we just don’t know. If you were a Board Member of a team with debt, and faced the possibility of a cash payment to steal your manager in late May/early June, you’d be insane to say no way.

5 hours ago, TxRover said:

Why do you say that? I find it interesting that Potter apparently drove him to Dundee, which would suggest IM and Potter had a discussion on the way back. If the Board had rejected Dundee’s request to talk to IM, it would likely have soured the relationship. For all we know, the Board may have told IM to go and listen, rather than IM being happy to go talk…we just don’t know. If you were a Board Member of a team with debt, and faced the possibility of a cash payment to steal your manager in late May/early June, you’d be insane to say no way.

I think the comment made about Potter driving him to Dundee was a joke mate. It’s a common one used over here for when someone is desperate for someone else to get a job. ‘I’ll drive him there myself’

On 26/05/2023 at 22:08, roverthemoon said:

Lang was a decent defender for us but lunged in too readily and gave away free kicks which we inevitably conceded from. And as good as he was in the air, the amount of goals we conceded from set pieces suggest he wasn’t the greatest. If he’s earned a move up them good luck to him, but based on how he played for us, I think he’ll struggle.

Decent? He was given crap to play alongside and held the defence together...long non losing run when he fought back from ACL early to be stronger and fitter.....you''re sounding bitter Sir!

9 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Yeah, I don't think Murray has been sleekit in this. Folk will use it as a rod to beat him with if we don't start well. The intrinsic benefit to the new set up is that even had he gone we still had others looking at signings. 

Looking forward to how things progress in the next couple of weeks.

Exactly, it’s not like he’s taken a day off or a sickie to go to an interview.

Amazing to hear from so many folk are in the same job since they left school.

9 hours ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Did he apply or was he asked to interview? There is a massive difference. Also unsure how you think it's "on the sly" when the club was approached for permission to speak to Murray by Dundee.

Feel like you're just building this narrative in your mind so that if things don't start well you have a ready made excuse of "well his head was turned and didn't care anyway so let's get rid".

It’s the obvious point of attack to any fan that has a slight grumble If do start horribly. It all depends on who he signs. 

28 minutes ago, Beastie Russell said:

Exactly, it’s not like he’s taken a day off or a sickie to go to an interview.

Amazing to hear from so many folk are in the same job since they left school.

It's also been the absolute optimum time. It's not like he's done a Ray McKinnon and started prepping for job interviews in the middle of the playoffs. Now, for all we know, Murray would do that in a heartbeat, but he hasn't done here. As far as these things go - and you should want your team's manager to be wanted by teams in higher divisions - it's been dealt with pretty much perfectly.

Also, for those on the "what will the consortium make of this!?", don't think that John Potter or Andy Barrowman wouldn't walk away for a gig at a bigger club at the drop of a hat. That's the business. That's the game. 

Judging by the latest tweet from the club, it looks like we will see a signing today. Almost as if Murray and the club have been continuing to work as normal the last week…

I’ll take a guess at Josh Mullin. It was rumoured he’d agreed to join weeks ago so would make sense if it’s now being announced with Ayr out the play offs. 

4 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

Judging by the latest tweet from the club, it looks like we will see a signing today. Almost as if Murray and the club have been continuing to work as normal the last week…

I’ll take a guess at Josh Mullin. It was rumoured he’d agreed to join weeks ago so would make sense if it’s now being announced with Ayr out the play offs. 

He was in the Record yesterday saying he's open to staying at Ayr so would be some turnaround (and likely raging Ayr fans) if he's signed for Raith whilst saying that publicly. Could still see him signing further down the line though. 

8 hours ago, TxRover said:

Small raft…17 currently signed, 1 possible…four total defenders, and two total keepers. So that’s a keeper plus at least 3 defenders to come in…if Spencer re-signs, we could see 2 or 3 attacking signings, without Spencer probably a DM and 1 or 2 attackers.

17 players signed, 3 kids that need game time, so all likely to go on loan. Squad of 24 so 10 players to come in. 1 x GK, 3 x CH, 1 x LB, 1 x CM, 2 x CF, 1 x winger, 1x RB. If its a total playing squad of 24 including the kids then drop 1 x CH, 1 x RB and possible the CM seeing as Matthews should be back.

13 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

I'm hoping it is a new signing,  but it could be IM staying and the launch of our season tickets.

7 minutes ago, Ex Machina said:

He was in the Record yesterday saying he's open to staying at Ayr so would be some turnaround (and likely raging Ayr fans) if he's signed for Raith whilst saying that publicly. Could still see him signing further down the line though. 

Yeah, you could be right. I’m not remotely ITK, I think I’ve heard about 2/3 transfer rumours in my life! Weirdly heard about Mullin from 3 different people but could all be repeating the same dodgy original source, I guess we’ll find out soon. 

Just now, raith1974 said:

I'm hoping it is a new signing,  but it could be IM staying and the launch of our season tickets.

You could be right but hopefully not! I think they’ll tie in a signing announcement or two with the season ticket release. Timing would be ideal with end of month pay for most, couple of exciting signings and season tickets on sale. Maybe I’m too optimistic though…

23 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

I was thinking it's probably an announcement that Spencer has agreed an extension.

1 hour ago, Specky Ginger said:

I was thinking it's probably an announcement that Spencer has agreed an extension.

That doesn’t excite me. He was poor for pretty much the duration of last season. 

In an interview he done a few months back it was clear he’s got lofty ambitions for his career. Absolutely nothing wrong with that but his play didn’t match his mouth. 

1 hour ago, R.R.FC said:

Mullin done just done an interview/article piece for the Daily Ranger saying he’s happy at Ayr and wants to stay after he’s back from holiday, and I’m sure there’s away to get out of a PCA if Ayr do offer him something