The New Raith Rovers Thread

8 hours ago, TxRover said:

On the rare occasion there is an incident in the stands, they can be critical to getting a quick medical response there and in the right place. In terms of policing, it certainly seems they are failing to identify the perpetrators for the police or the club to act. But, as they say, you get what you pay for. You want stewards willing to wade in and take action, you want to hire off-duty police and the likes, and equip them appropriately…but I suspect that’s well above the financial reach of 90%+ of clubs.

Similar to yourself, I suspect, I have no idea what our contract is with the stewards, but as a minimum I would have thought it is to identify people who are doing things they shouldn’t be to the police in the ground. That’s always supposing there are police in the ground.

The two most recent episodes didn’t involve our stewards. They involved the stewards at Falkirk and Ibrox. There were definitely plenty police at both these games. As it goes, I heard some of the young team did get lifted after the game at Ibrox for the smoke bombs.

Edited by Scary Bear

It wasn't just flares that had been smuggled into the ground on Sunday. I went for a pish and there was a couple of empty bottles of Bucky in the toilets as well.

I don't think I've seen a plod at Starks for a run of the mill league game for a while. Think the last time I saw any police prescence was at home to Motherwell of which flares were let off in both the home and away stands. There's a vlog on YouTube of that game from the away end and you can see a Motherwell fan let a flare off right in front of a steward and then throw it on the ground. Did anything happen? no. There's been umpteen incidents this season of flares being let off home and away....stewards just stand and watch. If they wanted to take action it would't be hard. The folk setting them off are holding them aloft for all to see. If anything the stewards are more interested in telling the folk at the back of the stand to sit down than want try to clamp down on the use of flares.

Ultimately if the powers that be within the stadium aren't taking any action then they'll continue to be flares let off. It's all the rage around Scotland for these youngsters who I'm sure aren't of the mindset that they care whether they are illegal or not. Turning up to a stadium pished is meant to be a reason to refuse admission - there were a fair few on Sunday (of middle age) who couldn't string a sentence together or stand upright. Tossing flares bout the stand and general vandalism is stuff I'd like to hope they are old enough to know better. Identifying them might be an issue. I doubt the club have the time, or are willing, to scour CCTV to find the culprits. The broken seats at Starks Park was only known via the fans rep sharing pictures on Twitter. There was nothing cascaded on the official site about this which maybe would have shown the club are taking a stronger stance on things - not everyone is on Twitter to have known about it. However depending on who you believe the seats were apparently not broken 'deliberately' and was down to a couple of them standing on the seats which pulled them away from the very rusted on their last legs brackets. Still silly none the less.

28 minutes ago, JaketheSnake said:

The pyro looks quality and adds atmosphere. Folk on here just like to moan about everything. You'll all be wanting the bags of sweets at the pie stalls banned next because they aren't traditional and contain too much sugar. 

I'm fine with the pyro, but if people are chucking it in the direction of a linesman checking nets (or even the pitch in general), or breaking seats in stands then it's cuntish behaviour. 

Folk can create an atmosphere just fine without the need to cost the club money through. Generally there's been a high level of support for those trying to generate an atmosphere with stuff like crowd funders for drums. If people start to kick the arse out it, then they'll find folk won't tolerate it.

Edited by Broken Algorithms

57 minutes ago, JaketheSnake said:

The pyro looks quality and adds atmosphere. Folk on here just like to moan about everything. You'll all be wanting the bags of sweets at the pie stalls banned next because they aren't traditional and contain too much sugar. 

Don't disagree, but the club have previously requested that it not be brought into the ground. After the Pars incident where we had to replace areas of our pitch because some moron threw a few for no real reason, surely people should have cottoned on after that. The biggest problem is that its being used by people who are clearly too stupid to be allowed it. 

1 hour ago, JaketheSnake said:

If done with consideration, I’m not hardline against pyro/smoke…but:

1) It needs to be done in an open area

2) It needs to be kept by the individual setting it off or safely within a designated area.

3) It needs to be with the agreement of the club.

4) It needs to be agreed to by the club after ensuring that no non-participating fan might be adversely impacted by such behavior (fans with respiratory issues are at risk from these devices, particularly if set off within somewhat enclosed areas). This can be done by establishing an area for these antics with consideration of wind and openness of the area.

And finally, Scottish football should admit that the alcohol ban within stadia has backfired and fight to reinstate alcohol sales under at least the English rules, if not similar to the rugby rules. It would be easier, safer, and more profitable, to allow alcohol sales at stadia. Refusal to serve a visibly intoxicated individual is standard worldwide at venues, and works. It you stop the need to “prepare” for a match, you likely reduce the overall level of intoxication at matches.

15 hours ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Or the thickwit kids could just follow the request of the club and not bring them in the first place. That seems like the sensible solution. 

The more you tell kids not to do something the more they,ll do it

6 hours ago, Raithie said:

It wasn't just flares that had been smuggled into the ground on Sunday. I went for a pish and there was a couple of empty bottles of Bucky in the toilets as well.

I don't think I've seen a plod at Starks for a run of the mill league game for a while. Think the last time I saw any police prescence was at home to Motherwell of which flares were let off in both the home and away stands. There's a vlog on YouTube of that game from the away end and you can see a Motherwell fan let a flare off right in front of a steward and then throw it on the ground. Did anything happen? no. There's been umpteen incidents this season of flares being let off home and away....stewards just stand and watch. If they wanted to take action it would't be hard. The folk setting them off are holding them aloft for all to see. If anything the stewards are more interested in telling the folk at the back of the stand to sit down than want try to clamp down on the use of flares.

Ultimately if the powers that be within the stadium aren't taking any action then they'll continue to be flares let off. It's all the rage around Scotland for these youngsters who I'm sure aren't of the mindset that they care whether they are illegal or not. Turning up to a stadium pished is meant to be a reason to refuse admission - there were a fair few on Sunday (of middle age) who couldn't string a sentence together or stand upright. Tossing flares bout the stand and general vandalism is stuff I'd like to hope they are old enough to know better. Identifying them might be an issue. I doubt the club have the time, or are willing, to scour CCTV to find the culprits. The broken seats at Starks Park was only known via the fans rep sharing pictures on Twitter. There was nothing cascaded on the official site about this which maybe would have shown the club are taking a stronger stance on things - not everyone is on Twitter to have known about it. However depending on who you believe the seats were apparently not broken 'deliberately' and was down to a couple of them standing on the seats which pulled them away from the very rusted on their last legs brackets. Still silly none the less.

All of this.

Noticed tins of Jack Daniels in the cludgie at Starks as well

Christ the kids get a fruit shoot taken from them yet folk are getting in with tins and bottles of  Buckfast 😄

3 hours ago, JaketheSnake said:

😁👍

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

If done with consideration, I’m not hardline against pyro/smoke…but:

1) It needs to be done in an open area

2) It needs to be kept by the individual setting it off or safely within a designated area.

3) It needs to be with the agreement of the club.

4) It needs to be agreed to by the club after ensuring that no non-participating fan might be adversely impacted by such behavior (fans with respiratory issues are at risk from these devices, particularly if set off within somewhat enclosed areas). This can be done by establishing an area for these antics with consideration of wind and openness of the area.

And finally, Scottish football should admit that the alcohol ban within stadia has backfired and fight to reinstate alcohol sales under at least the English rules, if not similar to the rugby rules. It would be easier, safer, and more profitable, to allow alcohol sales at stadia. Refusal to serve a visibly intoxicated individual is standard worldwide at venues, and works. It you stop the need to “prepare” for a match, you likely reduce the overall level of intoxication at matches.

Really 🤣

Just now, Rovers_Lad said:

Really 🤣

Yea, really, because right now it’s an accident waiting to happen…toss a flare at the pitch and miss, you risk burning someone. Do you really want some poor kid in a burn unit because some ultra wannabe bellend kid is a moron? Hit the pitch and it melts the pitch for many clubs, and incurs a large cost. And I’d rather not have to take my daughter to the A&E for a severe asthma attack brought on by this crap either…funnily enough, it’s not a worry here in the U.S. at matches (unlike getting shot…although that’s not an issue either at all but the most casual levels).

Clubs should also bring in anti-drug measures in the loos. 3 or 4 guys in one cubicle can only be doing 2 things. Or maybe both.

Although why they'd want to snort coke mixed with shite flakes, pish and pubes is beyond me.

Might help to stop the so called hard men causing bother during and after the game.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/4265242/raith-rovers-team-news-ian-murray-gives-update-on-ross-matthews-and-sets-out-return-timeline/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Matthews should be fit for next season, Gullan out until the end of the season. Probably not exactly a surprise there, but good to know. 

Edited by Michael W

On 29/03/2023 at 08:38, Raithie said:

Well put your big boy pants on and go and speak to them, folk are quick to put the boot in online but have heehaw cojones to actually either give them an earful or speak to a steward/plod (for as much good as that would do anyway). Whatever's happened at the Falkirk Stadium has only appeared on here, there's been no article shared by either Falkirk or Rovers about any damage, no pictures floating about online. It was on Twitter a few weeks back that the club were trying to speak to some of them regarding arranging a dedicated section for them at Starks. Perhaps they could have a sit down chat with them to remind them of what's acceptable and what's not rather than just tar them all with the same brush and drive, what is essentially the only set of folks that create any form of atmosphere at games, away forever. I don't see flares/smokebombs going away anytime soon, there's been a severe laxed policing to this all over the country as of late and clearly folk are either not being searched or they are easily concealed upon entering the ground. Christ Rangers and Celtic can get in with fooking fireworks ffs. 

I did speak to them and basically said what the f@@@k do you think your doing who do you think is paying for the damage ? The Rovers you clowns , It was me who raised the initial post regarding the broken seats but if it’s only me and my young daughter what more do you suggest ? There were other Rovers fans there but said nothing , The stewards done sweet FA they allowed them to gather on the aisle like wise most big games at Starks they do nothing 

6 hours ago, JaketheSnake said:

Wait a minute here the flare hit an elderly support in the puss at Ibrox so trust me I’m not moaning for the sake of it . Breaking seats that’s a laugh , pyros damaging the pitch aye it’s fun especially when our own club foots the bill , Aye ban the sweets aswell cause the young team are getting awful excited with 2 much sugar , get a grip 

9 hours ago, JaketheSnake said:

Not sure its sugar ? causing the behavior of the so called young team .😉

On 29/03/2023 at 20:50, Scary Bear said:

When I see these comments, my first thought is ‘what is the point of the stewards?’

Why bother with stewards when you can leave it up to individual supporters, some of who are at games with their kids, to police the fuckwits? 

11 hours ago, Michael W said:

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/4265242/raith-rovers-team-news-ian-murray-gives-update-on-ross-matthews-and-sets-out-return-timeline/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Matthews should be fit for next season, Gullan out until the end of the season. Probably not exactly a surprise there, but good to know. 

Could be a massive boost to the squad  if Spencer does leave and I think he will probably go this summer tbh, with that being said we would need someone else of Spencer’s quality to replace him and there’s no one really at this level or in our pay grade that is 

5 hours ago, RRFC_Liam said:

Could be a massive boost to the squad  if Spencer does leave and I think he will probably go this summer tbh, with that being said we would need someone else of Spencer’s quality to replace him and there’s no one really at this level or in our pay grade that is 

I’d be all for giving Arnott the chance next season properly.  If matthews stays fit we will still have a great midfield for this level.

9 hours ago, roverthemoon said:

Why bother with stewards when you can leave it up to individual supporters, some of who are at games with their kids, to police the fuckwits? 

Channel your inner The Equaliser and take those punks down.