The New Raith Rovers Thread

5 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

At this level, no but both of those guys have shown proper quality previously to today. Isma not so much, flashes of decency, but on the whole, lazy, incapable of holding a ball up or putting in a real shift when it's needed. No effort to close down or make defenders think twice. The Hamilton defence didn't have a lot to do against him. Admittedly part of that was the way we were made to play by their high pressing and battling performance but in the opportunities he had... nothing.  

Have to disagree. The one thing Isma can do is hold the ball up. When he receives it to feet. Launching a long, high ball towards him isn't his game, and we didn't get forward enough in the 1st half to support him anyway.

The merits of a senior player who needs the ball in a very specific manner are worth debating but it's a luxury we can't afford. I don't think he's lazy but he's not exactly built for covering ground or running channels, so why expect that to be successful?

They played us like a fiddle. Made us shuttle from side to side before chipping a cross to a wee fella, where not surprisingly, their giant CHs headed it clear. It was as predictable as it was disappointing. 

10 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Where were the stewards when these smoke bombs were being let off, and seats being damaged

How about I give you minimum wage and ask you to go wading into a group of coked up young guys who are throwing fireworks about? 

Edit: The tone of this is more confrontational (ironically) than I ended. My point is that stewards are essentially just living scarecrows in a situation like this. They're punters in high vis jackets with the hope that that puts off any potential bother. Once bother starts, though, you've just got a teenager with little training and less power. They're doing f**k all, and I'm with them wholeheartedly. 

Edited by Raith Against The Machine

Somehow I'd never noticed how much pace Vaughan had lost from all those operations until today.  He looked incredibly slow at times, and it was like he was trying to play the same way he used to but hasn't realised himself that his pace has gone. 

Now that's the Cups over hopefully we might hear some word about players resigning soon.  Although I'm starting to get the fear that the budget for next season is near non-existent until they figure out what's going on with any takeover.  Don't really want to see us having to do a massive rebuild if most of the out of contract players leave as we're not in a position to offer them anything currently. 

57 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

I hope those players are hurting tonight, and ready to give Accies a doing at Starks on the 4th, or will they not bother to turn up again and gift them the 3 points as well

Nah they’ll probably turn up for that game as there’s no pressure and f**k all to play for 

42 minutes ago, SanStarko said:

Somehow I'd never noticed how much pace Vaughan had lost from all those operations until today.  He looked incredibly slow at times, and it was like he was trying to play the same way he used to but hasn't realised himself that his pace has gone. 

Now that's the Cups over hopefully we might hear some word about players resigning soon.  Although I'm starting to get the fear that the budget for next season is near non-existent until they figure out what's going on with any takeover.  Don't really want to see us having to do a massive rebuild if most of the out of contract players leave as we're not in a position to offer them anything currently. 

Next years player budget depends entirely on who's in the league. Dundee, Dundee United, Dunfermline and Falkirk could all plausibly be in the same league depending on the playoffs, all of which gives opportunity for larger gates throughout the season, you're looking at multiple 2500+ home crowds in place of Cove/Hamilton/Arbroath and Queens.

In saying that, we could be getting that weekly should the majority of those there today been given any incentive to return regularly. 

29 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Next years player budget depends entirely on who's in the league. Dundee, Dundee United, Dunfermline and Falkirk could all plausibly be in the same league depending on the playoffs, all of which gives opportunity for larger gates throughout the season, you're looking at multiple 2500+ home crowds in place of Cove/Hamilton/Arbroath and Queens.

In saying that, we could be getting that weekly should the majority of those there today been given any incentive to return regularly. 

Like you say give some an incentive to attend. That first half performance was totally unacceptable at ant level. Isma was extremely poor balls bouncing off him etc but no support for him either. Misplaced passes no urgency no break of the ball. The 2nd half only changed with Isma going off and Stanton being direct but having said that some of our balls into the box were not great and we became very predictable both both flanks. As I said to the chap beside me with 10 mins to go we could have played all day and still not scored but they had been a problem for almost 2 seasons now.

I thought Tumilty played very well and Im still not sure if Zanatta touched the ball. 

Moving forward we need a couple of strikers and an experienced centre half for next season. Isma is far too slow.

1 hour ago, RRFC_Liam said:

After that today don’t be too sure that was our only probably last hope to keep a few players since we definitely ain’t making playoffs 

Winning the Cup was the only hope for retaining players for next season?

Tough shift for Isma first half with nobody near him but that said he seems fairly selfish, the few times the ball stuck him he seemed to want to do something amazing rather than just look for an easy lay off. Substitution came at the wrong time as I think the last 40 minutes suited his game much more than the 50 minutes he actually played.

Dylan Easton reminds me of the best player on my son’s under8 team, bags of ability but wants to make a game changing contribution every time he touches the ball and doesn’t understand the value of a simple pass. When you are trying to break down a resolute defence, moves just go to Easton to die. 

Next years budget depends if John Sim decides to go or not , Shambles of a situation IMO , Personally get Connolly , Lang , Nolan resigned asap not fussy about spencer TBH he’s been mince for weeks and will probably be a high earner as he always hangs on until the last to re sign and hopefully have some money to sign a half decent number 9 

Well that was a bit dispiriting. 

I think some Airdrie fans said they bottled the big games under Murray and we just didn't turn up at all until about the 44th minute today, and that's really where the game was lost. Baffling that we were so off the pace until then and at half time Murray could've subbed any one of them and they'd have had no reason to complain.

I can't disagree that Isma was anything other than poor today, but I'm fairly sure if the red card had been 30 seconds before he was subbed rather than 30 seconds after, Murray would've left him on. He would have at least given us a target for the hundred or so crosses we put into the box in that last 30 minutes. 

Ah well, can't win them all I suppose. 

32 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Winning the Cup was the only hope for retaining players for next season?

Winning that cup is worth only 5k more than the losing finalist. Adding to that not having to pay a win bonus which would probably have been 5k. I'd say it make not one jot if a difference winning or losing in the way of budget.