The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

One thing we have lacked this season going forward is pace. The likes of Connolly, Easton and Vaughan have got plenty of technical ability but there's nobody with real pace that can get in behind a defence. 

Whether it's Smith or not, I'm hoping that's something Murray will be looking to rectify for next season. 

23 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Ross is probably our best option but even then I don't think he's that quick. 

So basically, if Smith can't beat Ross in a sprint he's no use to us. 

Mitchell…the question will be has he advanced enough on loan?

Just now, Ro Sham Bo said:

Yeah. Forgot about him😳

Honestly, he’s not setting League Two on fire either. He’s blazingly fast, and has had some nice goals, but doesn’t seem likely to be ready for the Championship next year yet…of course, he could pull a Bowie.

4 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Not trolling in any way - but - I watched the interview on Raith TV with the lad Nolan. What an incredible story it is. How do you guys rate him?

It's been a tough season for him, to start with he looked like a player who had hardly played senior games- but he's come onto a right good game recently.  Perfectly happy with him.

Jamie Gullan is likely to miss the remainder of the season as the Raith Rovers striker prepares to go under the knife.

The 23-year-old – who is under contract until 2024 – has been in and out of the side with injury this season and will next week have an operation to fix an issue around his groin.

The injury is similar to that suffered by Ethan Ross who recently made his return.

There was better news for Ian Murray as he confirmed that Ross Millen, Aidan Connolly and Connor McBride all returned to training after missing the 6-1 victory over Cove Rangers on Saturday.

All are fighting to be available for Sunday’s SPFL Trust Trophy final versus Hamilton Accies at the Falkirk Stadium and the Rovers boss was further boosted by Kieran Ngwenya’s early return from international duty.

However, William Akio will miss out after being called up to the South Sudan national team and Scott McGill and Greig Young are cup-tied.

Hammer blow

“Hammer probably won’t play again this season,” said the Rovers manager.

“He had a consultation last week and he needs an operation, the same as Ethan Ross’ operation.

“His recovery time is probably four or five weeks but his operation is not until next week, I think.

“So, you’re talking five or six weeks and the season is done. It’s probably more important Jamie gets a good pre-season under his belt.

“I really like working with him as well, I think he’s got a fantastic opportunity to improve next season.

We had to get to the bottom of it, which we think we have and hope we have, and that gives us an opportunity to fix him.

“We’re probably in better nick than we thought we would be because Kieran Ngwenya has returned early from his camp and he was meant to be away.

“Conor McBride, Aidan Connolly and Ross Millen are back in training – and we didn’t expect Ross to be back at all and he’s looking good.

“We’re actually in decent shape, we’re going into the final with the strongest squad we’ve had in a while.”

Plan to preserve energy

Murray said his preparations were no different from any other week other than and extra day and trying to curb the players’ excitement.

He revealed his squad will also have a bit of a team-building session ahead of Sunday’s final.

“It’s about filling that void for the players because they’ll be excited and we don’t want them wasting that energy,” said the Rovers boss.

We’ve come here [to the Falkirk Stadium] to train and it’s good to get a look at the pitch, even though a lot of players have played here before.

“It’s better to come here beforehand rather than walk in blind.

2 hours ago, Fifespud said:

Not trolling in any way - but - I watched the interview on Raith TV with the lad Nolan. What an incredible story it is. How do you guys rate him?

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

It's been a tough season for him, to start with he looked like a player who had hardly played senior games- but he's come onto a right good game recently.  Perfectly happy with him.

This. Would be quite happy to have Lang and Nolan as our first team CH’s to start next season. While he was reasonably successful working with O’Riordan, he still was low on game time and was being swapped in and out a bit, so was struggling a little. Since becoming the de facto partner to Lang, it seems the steady play and partner has made a world of difference as he’s really excelled in his role. Everyone was very happy to see him score recently, he deserved the recognition.

Edited by TxRover

Hopefully they've identified the long term issue with Gullan and it can be fixed. Ross looks to have cone through his treatment and hopefully will be an asset for the run in. 

In other news it's Colin Steven for the final. 

5 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Hopefully they've identified the long term issue with Gullan and it can be fixed. Ross looks to have cone through his treatment and hopefully will be an asset for the run in. 

So after failing to stop us in the semi final, he's been given another go at it...

1 hour ago, pub car king said:

So after failing to stop us in the semi final, he's been given another go at it...

As I’ve noted, with ICT not involved, we actually do quite well with CS calling a match. Pretty happy with that, strangely enough.

Edited by TxRover

Have posted this on Twitter as well but no harm in asking here too. My tickets for Sunday are South stand B27, D28 and D29. Trying to track down the person with the ticket for D27 to see if they’d be willing to swap. Anyone?

Edited by therollorose

2 hours ago, therollorose said:

Have posted this on Twitter as well but no harm in asking here too. My tickets for Sunday are South stand B27, D28 and D29. Trying to track down the person with the ticket for D27 to see if they’d be willing to swap. Anyone?

Biro

On 22/03/2023 at 19:37, Ro Sham Bo said:

One thing we have lacked this season going forward is pace. The likes of Connolly, Easton and Vaughan have got plenty of technical ability but there's nobody with real pace that can get in behind a defence. 

Whether it's Smith or not, I'm hoping that's something Murray will be looking to rectify for next season. 

Stanton managed to run from deep and score a few times. That would suggest he has the required pace.

27 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Could've done without that Arbroath win tonight. Gap back down to 10 points and they've still to play us. 

On the flip side Partick lost so if we win our games in hand we are only 1 point behind them!

Could've done without that Arbroath win tonight. Gap back down to 10 points and they've still to play us. 

Get this negativity to f*ck. 

Even if they beat us in the head-to-head they’ll be 7 points behind. 

Do you really think they’ll manage 8 points more from their 6 remaining matches than we’ll manage from our 7 remaining?

They've not even managed to average a point per game this season and you’re worried about them averaging nearly 1.5points per game MORE than us until the end of the season? 
It’s such a ridiculous statement that I can’t quite believe I’m replying to it but I’ve typed it now so may as well post it….