The New Raith Rovers Thread

Looking at the League table, if we win our game in hand then we are only 4 points off the 4th play off spot. If Inverness beat Partick on Friday then the potential gap could close even more. Fixture pile ups and needing to win our games in hand crucial obviously, but is the dream still on? Maybe it’s just cup final fever gripping me. 

Looking around at strikers potentially available in the summer, Calum Gallagher seems like an obvious target. Top scorer in League One with 18 goals and 6 assists in 29 games and someone Murray knows and has signed at both Airdrie and St Mirren.

Left wing isn’t really a priority but I would imagine Charlie Reilly at Albion Rovers is also being watched. Huge step up from League Two but only 21 and with 20 goals and 10 assists in 28 games. Been linked with the likes of Dundee and Killie so will probably have better offers although he is another one Murray worked with at Airdrie. However, jury is out if that will be to our benefit given he only played a handful of games and was then released!

1 hour ago, R.R.FC said:

Looking around at strikers potentially available in the summer, Calum Gallagher seems like an obvious target. Top scorer in League One with 18 goals and 6 assists in 29 games and someone Murray knows and has signed at both Airdrie and St Mirren.

Left wing isn’t really a priority but I would imagine Charlie Reilly at Albion Rovers is also being watched. Huge step up from League Two but only 21 and with 20 goals and 10 assists in 28 games. Been linked with the likes of Dundee and Killie so will probably have better offers although he is another one Murray worked with at Airdrie. However, jury is out if that will be to our benefit given he only played a handful of games and was then released!

Any of Airdrie's front 3 would be a decent addition i'd say, they've been pretty free scoring all season. Reilly would be a gamble at this level. Dundee and Killie would perhaps take him and loan him out for a season, we don't really have that luxury on our budget.

9 hours ago, roverthemoon said:

Looking at the League table, if we win our game in hand then we are only 4 points off the 4th play off spot. If Inverness beat Partick on Friday then the potential gap could close even more. Fixture pile ups and needing to win our games in hand crucial obviously, but is the dream still on? Maybe it’s just cup final fever gripping me. 

We've three games in a week in the first week in April - Hamilton and Queen's Park at home and then ICT away. We'd need probably need 7 points from those matches to pull ourselves back into the conversation, which is a tall order.

Our record against the other 6 teams in the top 7 this season is pretty poor so that would need to be improved on drastically to give us any chance.

I did wonder if Murray might've looked at bringing Calum Gallagher with him when he was appointed. I am always confused as to whether or not Airdrie are full-time, so not sure what his own circumstances are. 

I would imagine we are far from alone in potentially taking a look, however. There's nothing more painfully obvious than the lack of quality strikers in this league and so I'd be almost certain just about every team in the league is taking a look given his scoring record. From that standpoint it is good that he has previously worked with Murray. 

2 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

We've three games in a week in the first week in April - Hamilton and Queen's Park at home and then ICT away. We'd need probably need 7 points from those matches to pull ourselves back into the conversation, which is a tall order.

Our record against the other 6 teams in the top 7 this season is pretty poor so that would need to be improved on drastically to give us any chance.

Fuctifano has us at a 10% shot for top four+ based upon 1000 simulations of the end of the season. His table is in the Title Race thread. As a bonus, <1% relegation playoffs.

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

Fuctifano has us at a 10% shot for top four+ based upon 1000 simulations of the end of the season. His table is in the Title Race thread. As a bonus, <1% relegation playoffs.

Probably sounds about right, but with all the other contenders to play then if we went on a run we could get ourselves back into contention. Would need a consistency we haven’t found yet this season and a few other results going our way I suspect. 

4 hours ago, Michael W said:

I did wonder if Murray might've looked at bringing Calum Gallagher with him when he was appointed. I am always confused as to whether or not Airdrie are full-time, so not sure what his own circumstances are. 

I would imagine we are far from alone in potentially taking a look, however. There's nothing more painfully obvious than the lack of quality strikers in this league and so I'd be almost certain just about every team in the league is taking a look given his scoring record. From that standpoint it is good that he has previously worked with Murray. 

We're still hybrid but I think Gallagher is the only confirmed part-time player now. He's definitely good enough to play in the Championship, he's gone from being a very good League One striker under Murray to near enough a complete forward this season. Whether he wants to go full-time at his age is a different question, I'm not sure what he does outside of football but he probably needs to make the move this summer if he wants to give full-time another go. 

I do think Raith have a very good chance of signing Callum Smith though. Murray signed him twice for Airdrie and seemed very keen on him both times. He's at his best cutting in from the left but can play up front too, though I wouldn't have him leading the line on his own. He's very quick and works ridiculously hard, so it's easy to see why Murray is a fan. He's from Cowdenbeath too so a move back to Fife would be handy for him.

I saw Charlie Reilly mentioned above too. Murray seemed really pleased with him and Leon McCann when he signed them on loan after they played very well against us in a Challenge Cup game but while the latter became a mainstay in the team, Reilly looked miles out of his depth. I think he was only 17 to be fair but his only notable moment in an Airdrie top was being banjaxed by Iain Davidson in that 1-0 game up at Starks where Airdrie had about 60 long throws. Murray did seem to like him so I could see Raith being interested but I reckon he'll get a better move.

3 hours ago, Mr November said:

I do think Raith have a very good chance of signing Callum Smith though. Murray signed him twice for Airdrie and seemed very keen on him both times. He's at his best cutting in from the left but can play up front too, though I wouldn't have him leading the line on his own. He's very quick and works ridiculously hard, so it's easy to see why Murray is a fan. He's from Cowdenbeath too so a move back to Fife would be handy for him.

Cutting in from the left describes the majority of our offense recently, so…

4 hours ago, Mr November said:

We're still hybrid but I think Gallagher is the only confirmed part-time player now. He's definitely good enough to play in the Championship, he's gone from being a very good League One striker under Murray to near enough a complete forward this season. Whether he wants to go full-time at his age is a different question, I'm not sure what he does outside of football but he probably needs to make the move this summer if he wants to give full-time another go. 

I do think Raith have a very good chance of signing Callum Smith though. Murray signed him twice for Airdrie and seemed very keen on him both times. He's at his best cutting in from the left but can play up front too, though I wouldn't have him leading the line on his own. He's very quick and works ridiculously hard, so it's easy to see why Murray is a fan. He's from Cowdenbeath too so a move back to Fife would be handy for him.

I saw Charlie Reilly mentioned above too. Murray seemed really pleased with him and Leon McCann when he signed them on loan after they played very well against us in a Challenge Cup game but while the latter became a mainstay in the team, Reilly looked miles out of his depth. I think he was only 17 to be fair but his only notable moment in an Airdrie top was being banjaxed by Iain Davidson in that 1-0 game up at Starks where Airdrie had about 60 long throws. Murray did seem to like him so I could see Raith being interested but I reckon he'll get a better move.

One thing we have lacked this season going forward is pace. The likes of Connolly, Easton and Vaughan have got plenty of technical ability but there's nobody with real pace that can get in behind a defence. 

Whether it's Smith or not, I'm hoping that's something Murray will be looking to rectify for next season. 

47 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

One thing we have lacked this season going forward is pace. The likes of Connolly, Easton and Vaughan have got plenty of technical ability but there's nobody with real pace that can get in behind a defence. 

Whether it's Smith or not, I'm hoping that's something Murray will be looking to rectify for next season. 

Well, Ethan Ross can do it but he's been injured most of the season. 

12 minutes ago, renton said:

Well, Ethan Ross can do it but he's been injured most of the season. 

Ross is probably our best option but even then I don't think he's that quick. 

So basically, if Smith can't beat Ross in a sprint he's no use to us. 

6 minutes ago, pub car king said:

We get a full pre season out of Matthews, Gullan,Vaughan and Ross along with the fabled striker we could really fly out the traps next season. 

Or Sim offloads them all in the Summer trying to balance the books and we fall into the trap instead...