The New Raith Rovers Thread

Felt that having Isma up front made a huge difference. It’s great to have someone in that role who knows what he’s doing. Can hold the ball up, beat people, link up with others and can finish. What we’ve been missing all season. 

Edited by roverthemoon

57 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

I missed 3 of the goals, pie duty and the bog. Ok I like pies🤣🤣

How the hell did you manage that?

You could watch the game from the queue for the pie huts back then.

As for the bogs at the Links End, that was a case of in and out as quick as humanly possible. They blew the bookies' toilets at the start of the original Trainspotting out the water.

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

We have (arguably) the best midfield in this league.  Yesterday was one of the few times we looked like we had a genuine centre forward on the pitch, so in a way it stands to reason that we finally gave someone an absolute hiding.

Said it numerous times before, but Brown is absolutely critical to that side, and we should be building the team around him.  A genuine leader.

…..and the best Goalie

41 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

How the hell did you manage that?

You could watch the game from the queue for the pie huts back then.

As for the bogs at the Links End, that was a case of in and out as quick as humanly possible. They blew the bookies' toilets at the start of the original Trainspotting out the water.

Too busy yapping, and a queue for the bog unbelievably 

6 hours ago, TxRover said:

I’m sticking with: 1 Aug 1992, First Division, Raith Rovers 7-0 St. Mirren

There were a good half dozen 5 goal matches I saw while trolling back for 6 goals in League.

Edit: Dalziel, Dair, Coyle, Dalziel, Brewster, Dalziel, Brewster…I think the goal you are thinking of might be Brewster’s first, from a free kick at 3+48.

No no, absolutely the Ronnie Coyle goal. For a defender to be involved in a pitch length passing move and finishing from the edge of the box with such quality was outstanding. 

If you told me a few weeks ago, a fit Aidan Connolly would be on the bench for the cup final, I’d have thought you were mad but I can’t see Murray changing that front 6 after yesterday. Expect Millen in for McGill to be the only change.

Nice to have a positive selection dilemma for once though and potentially game changing options from the bench alongside Ross who has looked pretty sharp in his two brief appearances since his operation.

A week is a long time at Stark’s Park though so there’s every chance we’ll have another couple of injuries by Sunday.

Edited by R.R.FC

1 hour ago, R.R.FC said:

Expect Millen in for McGill to be the only change.

Seen a few people mentioning this. Thought McGill looked a bit off it at the start of the match but just got better and better as the game went on. IMO it would be harsh to drop him for Millen. Let Millen take his time and come back from Injury when we have the Luxury of McGill and Masson able to play the same position.

4 minutes ago, Toddy said:

Seen a few people mentioning this. Thought McGill looked a bit off it at the start of the match but just got better and better as the game went on. IMO it would be harsh to drop him for Millen. Let Millen take his time and come back from Injury when we have the Luxury of McGill and Masson able to play the same position.

McGill's cup-tied.

2 hours ago, Toddy said:

I like the sentiment…

2 hours ago, Beachbum said:

McGill's cup-tied.

…but there you go.

6 hours ago, CALDERON said:

We have (arguably) the best midfield in this league.  Yesterday was one of the few times we looked like we had a genuine centre forward on the pitch, so in a way it stands to reason that we finally gave someone an absolute hiding.

Said it numerous times before, but Brown is absolutely critical to that side, and we should be building the team around him.  A genuine leader.

I suspect we are building around him, knowing that IM went out of his way to get Brown, and we were somewhat surprised that Brown was his second signing…being a player that had seemingly settled into PT play. You have to admit that knowing (and seeing) now what Easton and Brown have done for this side, that’s a pretty heady pair of signings in the first five days, and IM has a vision for using them. If only we can find a couple of players in Isma’s mould for next year, or even one, it does suggest that if the off-field drama is addressed we can make a real run at it.

14 hours ago, TxRover said:

There were a good half dozen 5 goal matches I saw while trolling back for 6 goals in League.

Edit: Dalziel, Dair, Coyle, Dalziel, Brewster, Dalziel, Brewster…I think the goal you are thinking of might be Brewster’s first, from a free kick at 3+48.

That was a special day for me, was back home on leave from the RAF in Germany  to see a brilliant win, after the game I popped into the bookies to find out I'd won £120 from a 50p trixie on the horses, was a pretty tidy sum back then, some great memories.

18 hours ago, TxRover said:

Great to see that back again 

Dair’s finish, Coyle’s goal, Brewsters free kick, and Big Shauns pass for the 6th.

what a time to be alive

3 minutes ago, pub car king said:

I'd forgot about the free kick it's the most nonchalant jog up and ping. 

I was standing almost in line with Brewster as he shaped up to take it and have never been more convinced that a free kick was ending up in the net.

1 hour ago, Beastie Russell said:

Great to see that back again 

Dair’s finish, Coyle’s goal, Brewsters free kick, and Big Shauns pass for the 6th.

what a time to be alive

What a season that was, a joy from start to finish and we played like Brazil 1970 that day, remember going home genuinely shocked and excited by that as a youngish lad