The New Raith Rovers Thread

In fairness @TxRover macdonald has been dealing with an injury for most of the season. Robbie was getting ready but at no time did macdonald indicate he wasn't fine to play on. He will be absolutely fine for next week and it was a great save with alot of venom behind it that resulted in him feeling it a bit. 

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

I understand, but if he’s hurting, it’s his decision if he’s ready to play…and he’ll want to start, but he’s also enough of a professional to make the correct call. I’m just noting we might see a change, not suggesting it will happen.

This is the thing, he was lively enough on his way to his car and to stop and talk to a bunch of kids before happily going on his way home, this is what I understand.

2 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

This is the thing, he was lively enough on his way to his car and to stop and talk to a bunch of kids before happily going on his way home, this is what I understand.

He also made sure the wee guy that took a ball in the face during the warm up was looked after, afterwards. 

If I remember rightly MacDonald also made a very good save from a powerful Cove shot in the second half (I think at 4-1 or 5-1?) so seemed fine after the interval.

Was thinking too - if MacDonald plays in the final next week and we were to win on penalties, then we'd have won three penalty shoot-outs with three different keepers en route to the Challenge Cup. That must be some sort of record if it happens?!

On that topic, I haven’t had time to dig yet, anyone know the last 6 goal effort for us in League.

1 hour ago, grumswall said:

In fairness @TxRover macdonald has been dealing with an injury for most of the season. Robbie was getting ready but at no time did macdonald indicate he wasn't fine to play on. He will be absolutely fine for next week and it was a great save with alot of venom behind it that resulted in him feeling it a bit. 

Good to know…

1 hour ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

1 hour ago, grumswall said:

He also made sure the wee guy that took a ball in the face during the warm up was looked after, afterwards. 

He is a genuine class act.

1 minute ago, TxRover said:

On that topic, I haven’t had time to dig yet, anyone know the last 6 goal effort for us in League.

Good to know…

I think it was the start of the 13/14 season. We beat the once plucky amateurs, QP 6-0 at Starks. Pretty sure it was Vaughan's first competitive goal for us that day...

13 minutes ago, renton said:

I think it was the start of the 13/14 season. We beat the once plucky amateurs, QP 6-0 at Starks. Pretty sure it was Vaughan's first competitive goal for us that day...

That was a league cup game.

17 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Good to know…

14 minutes ago, renton said:

Lewis scored his first goal in that game, alas it was in the League Cup.

OK, digging back a bit…

13 July 2022, League Cup, 6-0 over Peterhead

25 June 2022, Testimonial, 0-7 over Dunbar United

25 July 2017, League Cup, 1-6 over Buckie Thistle

3 August 2013, League Cup, 6-0 over Queen’s Park

26 July 2009, Friendly, 7-3 over Cupar Hearts

Then records get spotty…but I found:

1 Aug 1992, First Division, Raith Rovers 7-0 St. Mirren

For a league game the only one that springs to mind is the St Mirren opening day 7-0 where Ronnie Coyle scored a beast of a goal. There is some grainy footage of the game in existence filmed from the main stand. 

There may have been a few league games we scored 5 in over the last 30 years but I'm getting old and my memory is shite. 

3 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

That was in the League Cup. f**k knows the last time we had 6 in the league.

I’m sticking with: 1 Aug 1992, First Division, Raith Rovers 7-0 St. Mirren

3 hours ago, pub car king said:

For a league game the only one that springs to mind is the St Mirren opening day 7-0 where Ronnie Coyle scored a beast of a goal. There is some grainy footage of the game in existence filmed from the main stand. 

There may have been a few league games we scored 5 in over the last 30 years but I'm getting old and my memory is shite. 

There were a good half dozen 5 goal matches I saw while trolling back for 6 goals in League.

Edit: Dalziel, Dair, Coyle, Dalziel, Brewster, Dalziel, Brewster…I think the goal you are thinking of might be Brewster’s first, from a free kick at 3+48.

Edited by TxRover

4 hours ago, TxRover said:

I’m sticking with: 1 Aug 1992, First Division, Raith Rovers 7-0 St. Mirren

There were a good half dozen 5 goal matches I saw while trolling back for 6 goals in League.

Edit: Dalziel, Dair, Coyle, Dalziel, Brewster, Dalziel, Brewster…I think the goal you are thinking of might be Brewster’s first, from a free kick at 3+48.

I missed 3 of the goals, pie duty and the bog. Ok I like pies🤣🤣

We have (arguably) the best midfield in this league.  Yesterday was one of the few times we looked like we had a genuine centre forward on the pitch, so in a way it stands to reason that we finally gave someone an absolute hiding.

Said it numerous times before, but Brown is absolutely critical to that side, and we should be building the team around him.  A genuine leader.

Edited by CALDERON