The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 minute ago, TxRover said:

I suspect the fundamental disagreement probably relates to SPP. Sim has said before that is part of his retirement, and as a buyer I would want to control the stadium.

I am sure £900k (the amount the football club owes SPP) will revise that statement very quickly. 

50 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Didn't take long to shift them.

Geezo, they only went on sale at midday I believe. Some going. You'd imagine if we got an extended extended allocation we'd probably shift a fair few as well. 

So we're looking at just shy of 4000 Rovers fans watching Zanatta score a last minute winner, assisted by Tumilty, at our end of the ground as he knee dives in front of us....

We have a decent manager who in my opinion has done exceptionally well reaching a quarter final and lower league final on the resources that the Board have provided , You only have to look at the potential league next season and frankly we will be in big trouble if investment isn’t made in the squad so what are the issues regarding the takeover ? If the courier is correct it isn’t financial what is it ? John sim is dragging his heals yet won’t invest anymore money very disappointing if true 

12 minutes ago, basher brash said:

We have a decent manager who in my opinion has done exceptionally well reaching a quarter final and lower league final on the resources that the Board have provided , You only have to look at the potential league next season and frankly we will be in big trouble if investment isn’t made in the squad so what are the issues regarding the takeover ? If the courier is correct it isn’t financial what is it ? John sim is dragging his heals yet won’t invest anymore money very disappointing if true 

Bang on the nose: my worry is Sim likes the "stewardship" aspect but won't go that extra mile. Sure he could have seen some flaw in the possible owners but I'm sceptical of that.

I don't believe Sim has a "football brain" hence the list of random statements. This was in my opinion the season to shoot high given the strength in the league and we missed the boat.

Next season will be incredibly difficult to see top 4 being a realistic option. 

6 minutes ago, The Tiel Burn said:

Bang on the nose: my worry is Sim likes the "stewardship" aspect but won't go that extra mile. Sure he could have seen some flaw in the possible owners but I'm sceptical of that.

I don't believe Sim has a "football brain" hence the list of random statements. This was in my opinion the season to shoot high given the strength in the league and we missed the boat.

If only the club hadn't made a complete and utter arse of a lucrative season last time around...

You are right that this represented a huge opportunity; it is incredibly frustrating we put ourselves in a terrible position to have a proper shot at it. 

Edited by Michael W

1 hour ago, The Tiel Burn said:

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

If only the club hadn't made a complete and utter arse of a lucrative season last time around...

You are right that this represented a huge opportunity; it is incredibly frustrating we put ourselves in a terrible position to have a proper shot at it. 

26 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Any notion of us challenging up the way with the nonsense that’s going on behind the scenes is fanciful. As frustrating as it is, next few years are likely to be just about surviving in the Championship and playing the waiting game for Sim to finally GTF

Threw money at Mcglynn last season which IMO was foolish and no matter what spin John Sim puts on it  regarding lost sponsorship , fans etc due to the Goodwillie debacle its still costing the club dear hence the financial situation we are now in , Personally he has done a lot of good for the club however the longer these talks continue the more harm it does to the club , The fans don’t need to know the nuts and bolts of the negotiations however this tabloid speculation will harm the club and unsettle any players who’s contract run out , Would they want to commit to a club who might not honour a new contract 

The main problem is that we’ve got someone in charge at the club who is going to be out the door soon or at least not going to be here for the long term. That’s a worry as decision making could be even more short term than usual. For example, there’s absolutely no guarantee that the money made from the Scottish Cup run will go towards stabilising the club or next years budget. It could just as easily be taken directly out of the club for Sim to recoup some of his investment.  Not saying he’ll do that but it’s a higher risk if we don’t have owners committed for the long term. And as Basher rightly points out the uncertainty will affect contract negotiations, prospective wage bills and our overall attractiveness as a club.

Until supporters get to know what the true reasons are for him not selling (and I guess we never will ), its a case of if he doesn't want to sell he cant be forced to, hes no spring chicken and I don't know if he has family, so that alone leaves us up the swanee should anything happen to him and hes bound to be aware of that, we cant even buy the football club from him due to the complexity of the various companies, 

As usual with the Rovers nothings ever easy or straightforward, take the money John and stop opening the box 😂

11 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

The Kelty mob can go and buy Cowdenbeath and get them back into the league set up. It's more their level. 

It'll be more our level if we get stuck with a disinterested Sim running the club at minimum levels.

Look just to add balance. Sim saw straight through and chased the previous chancers in talks to buy us. If he's seen something he's not happy with about this let's just wait and see especially if it's nothing to do with money. Ultimately we've been through too much shit before let's just get this right. 

1 hour ago, renton said:

It'll be more our level if we get stuck with a disinterested Sim running the club at minimum levels.

We'd be running at a decent level if just 75% of the fans going to the final would turn up every week, a crowd of ~3000 a week would be excellent for the budgets. 

17 hours ago, The Tiel Burn said:

Sim is the boil that needs to be lanced. He alone will ruin this club, and its reputation along with it. We needed this takeover. But the narcissist will not budge. So we won’t get any meaningful backing to strengthen the squad, especially as next season will be tough as hell. Cheers you old b*****d. 

Sim was the one that wanted out so if the new consortium have the funds just sell and move on.  I think there should be some other people with shares ie fans/trust as one owner can be dangerous but i'd rather see someone new take us forward.  Sim can't improve us any further and isn't willing to commit more money, which isn't a bad thing but he can't take us backwards because of it.

14 hours ago, pub car king said:

Look just to add balance. Sim saw straight through and chased the previous chancers in talks to buy us. If he's seen something he's not happy with about this let's just wait and see especially if it's nothing to do with money. Ultimately we've been through too much shit before let's just get this right. 

There were questions as to whether Delios actually had the funding secured for his bid. It doesn't seem like that's the case here and it is something else, with the other party being the one that's pulled out. There is no detail available on what that is and so it's open to speculation. My own speculation, is that Sim wants to remain involved in some capacity and that this is not acceptable to the potential buyers. I could, of course, be quite wide of the mark here. 

I would prefer Sim to leave as soon as possible. He's made clear he wants out and having an owner who is in that position is not a good thing for a multitude of reasons. That said, he does care about the club and there is something to be said for that, even if his running of the club has been - in my view - poor. But is he possibly looking out there for the 'perfect' custodian to pass over to, which in reality almost certainly doesn't exist? Neither of the two proposed buyers have been suitable in my opinion; Delios for obvious reasons and, if it is indeed the Kelty lot that pulled out, I question their motivations. Clearly they are bored of their Kelty project if they're looking at Raith Rovers, but with the greatest respect to them, it seems like they were going into something they may not equipped for. You'd be sinking a pretty substantially increased amount of capital into Raith Rovers than you would into Kelty, for starters. It's a totally different situation from taking on a Junior team and building them up for entry into the professional ranks. 

At some point, Sim has to let go, and if he's going to hang around in some capacity then there are going to be issues with having someone take us on. I don't think him holding out is going to end well for either party. Hopefully this can get resolved fairly soon. 

Had also heard rumblings that Sim wants to still be on the board. That’s a recipe for disaster. Best for all if it’s a clean break and a fresh start.

Heard he is also going to retain stadium ownership. Another potential for disaster. If people fear him screwing over the club now, once he’s an absentee landlord sitting in Thailand far from public opinion and no longer caring then that risks goes up massively.