The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Read above, he's had plenty of chances but attitude issues and lack of effort completely drove the support against him. If he comes on as a sub, you know what you're going to get, and it's f**k all

Sounds like he just didn’t like playing in front of a toxic bunch of supporters imo

Couldn't care less what Livi fans think, the chat re Alio was that were signing a "waste of a jersey" he's now contributed really well at Arbroath and scored in the semi.

Let's give the lad a go and see what Murray gets out him. We saw with Big John if he's lazy, disinterested he won't play and will be sent back.

You sign a guy with so many clubs you know you're getting something more maverick. 

2 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

Sounds like he just didn’t like playing in front of a toxic bunch of supporters imo

Absolutely nothing toxic about it, he had way too many chances. In general people were excited at his signing given his past and apparent pedigree but what we got was a fat, lazy and uninterested striker. We'd done a similar job with JET and he turned out great once he lost the weight but we're about 6/7 months in and there's little improvement on that side of things. I think this is basically his last throw of the dice to show he can do something, if he doesn't get fit and look like a decent player with Raith he'll be gone (and rightly so). 

I think I can only remember one other player being booed in coming on, and that was Chukwuemeka, who again came on and refused to press and overall just looked lazy. 

1 minute ago, The Tiel Burn said:

Couldn't care less what Livi fans think, the chat re Alio was that were signing a "waste of a jersey" he's now contributed really well at Arbroath and scored in the semi.

Let's give the lad a go and see what Murray gets out him. We saw with Big John if he's lazy, disinterested he won't play and will be sent back.

You sign a guy with so many clubs you know you're getting something more maverick. 

This will be somewhat linked to what I said above, but do Raith require their strikers to press defenders and do a lot of running in general or is it more of a role of finding space? That will probably set out if he's successful or not. There's a chance he does do well, but I don't know if this is the scare he needs to get him playing at an acceptable level or not but he's behind a guy that came to us from the Indian league which doesn't exactly bode well. 

Hope Isma does well for you, doubt it'll be well enough to get back into our team but we'll see. 

FWIW I never heard him getting booed onto the park, sighs/grumbles of frustration - usually followed by shouts after he's fallen over the ball trying to do a stepover instead of putting a teammate through on goal. I'd usually try and sympathise with a player getting a hard time but he's cut years off my life. 

Bit of a luxury player, will probably need the attack structured around him if he's going to be effective. 

17 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Not particularly, he had plenty of chances to prove himself and only has himself to blame for it. He got sent off in one of his first games for us for kicking someone off the ball. He's been totally lazy and uninterested any time he plays to the point the fans had given up on him. 

He comes on as a sub, refuses to press or run in general and is greedy when he does get the ball. An absolute passenger of a player. 

In terms of quality, he's very slow, decent on the ball and apparently can finish but is never in a position to do so. Maybe will be better a league down but he was woefully out of depth even as a sub for us. His attitude seemed to be to just chuck it at the first sign of hard work.

He’s had 4 starts as far as I can see, 2 of them in the League Cup groups. According to Transfermarkt, his minutes from all his appearances combined add up to just over 4 games. I’m not sure that is really ‘plenty’ of chances to prove himself. I get Livi have far better options and you can’t persist with someone who hasn’t shown anything in limited appearance but not sure it’s enough to completely write the guy off at a lower level.

Ross County fans mentioned Akio’s attitude was horrendous and I’ve not seen a sign of that yet (although it is still early). His quality is still up for debate but his workrate and attitude have been good. 

Looking at our side, I feel like we’re well placed to carry a bit of a maverick. The workrate and attitude of our entire team is spot on, we just could do with an experienced centre forward that can poach a few goals whether that from the start or off the bench. Hopefully the attitude of the rest of the squad will rub off on him. Definitely worth a gamble given his previous spells in Scotland and still only 31, hopefully Murray can get something out of him.

Edited by R.R.FC

1 minute ago, R.R.FC said:

He’s had 4 starts as far as I can see, 2 of them in the League Cup groups. According to Transfermarkt, his minutes from all his appearances combined add up to just over 4 games. I’m not sure that is really ‘plenty’ of chances to prove himself. I get Livi have far better options and you can’t persist with someone who hasn’t shown anything in limited appearance but not sure it’s enough to completely write the guy off at a lower level.

Ross County fans mentioned Akio’s attitude was horrendous and I’ve not seen a sign of that yet (although it is still early). His quality is still up for debate but his workrate and attitude have been good. 

Looking at our side, I feel like we’re well placed to carry a bit of a maverick. The workrate and attitude of our entire team is spot on, we just could do with an experienced centre forward that can poach a few goals whether that from the start or off the bench. Hopefully the attitude of the rest of the squad will run off on him. Definitely worth a gamble given his previous spells in Scotland and still only 31, hopefully Murray can get something out of him.

To be honest, breaking down those minutes doesn't look particularly good. 

League Cup was really a chance for him to get fit and you could see how overweight, slow and unfit he really was at the time. It didn't help that he got himself sent off v Cove in a must win game for stupidly kicking someone off the ball. He then walks about v Dundee Utd in the RO16 for 60 minutes and we're put out. 

The 56', 33' v Hearts and Killie see him wander about and try to half heartedly get on the end of balls and then spends time out of the squad to let him get to the fitness level required. Beyond that he gets 20 minutes here and there, comes on and wins a penalty v Hibs and grabs the ball to take it and misses it :D That seemed to be the final straw at the time for him but since signing he's looked unfit, been sent off for stupid attitude reasons and dropped for fitness reasons. 

I'm hoping that the lack of work rate is fine and like you're saying you can afford someone to just sit and poach a few goals. My worry though is that as it stands Poplatnik is a far far far better player than Esma, and even then he couldn't really break into our team (or be offered a new deal) after a good spell with Raith

Away with this doom and gloom. Every new striker IS the next big thing…at least until we realise he isn’t.

Look at Big John. Fever pitch excitement when he signed. Delirium when he finally got on. Then a slow realisation that he wasn’t much use, the goal at QP aside. But we all enjoyed the ride. Will do the same this time.  He’s scoring the winner today. 

2 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

To be honest, breaking down those minutes doesn't look particularly good. 

League Cup was really a chance for him to get fit and you could see how overweight, slow and unfit he really was at the time. It didn't help that he got himself sent off v Cove in a must win game for stupidly kicking someone off the ball. He then walks about v Dundee Utd in the RO16 for 60 minutes and we're put out. 

The 56', 33' v Hearts and Killie see him wander about and try to half heartedly get on the end of balls and then spends time out of the squad to let him get to the fitness level required. Beyond that he gets 20 minutes here and there, comes on and wins a penalty v Hibs and grabs the ball to take it and misses it :D That seemed to be the final straw at the time for him but since signing he's looked unfit, been sent off for stupid attitude reasons and dropped for fitness reasons. 

I'm hoping that the lack of work rate is fine and like you're saying you can afford someone to just sit and poach a few goals. My worry though is that as it stands Poplatnik is a far far far better player than Esma, and even then he couldn't really break into our team (or be offered a new deal) after a good spell with Raith

Sounds unlikely there's much of a way back for him at Livi unless he tears it up for us and then impresses in preseason. 

We really just need an extra option up front and hopefully he realises he's in last chance saloon and bucks his ideas up. 

Isma is shite, Raith. He came to us overweight and unfit but with decent potential to be a squad player at the least. Sadly, he has made zero progress since then and we are renowned for getting the most out of washed-up talent. If Martindale couldn’t get a tune out of him, you’re fucked. Good luck.

7 minutes ago, hoobahabba said:

Isma is shite, Raith. He came to us overweight and unfit but with decent potential to be a squad player at the least. Sadly, he has made zero progress since then and we are renowned for getting the most out of washed-up talent. If Martindale couldn’t get a tune out of him, you’re fucked. Good luck.

Heard it 

Isma may well end up as a decent signing for Raith. It didn't work for him at Livi for a collection of reasons (One of which being that he's still overweight 5 months into the season), but there's clearly still a player in there. He doesn't have the energy needed to work in this Livi team, but the technique is clearly still there.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him be your player of the season. I also wouldn't be surprised to see him get 2 games for you and rot on the bench.