The New Raith Rovers Thread

17 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

Our record against Inverness is obviously brought up every time we play them, but I had a look at our winless runs against the other SPFL sides, and it becomes even sillier when you compare it to everyone else. 

We're without a win over 90/120 minutes against them in 30 attempts.

With the exception of Celtic, which is at 37 games and stretches back to 1961, we don't have a record against any other side in Scotland that's even remotely as chronic as that. In fact, with almost everyone else, we've beaten them in the last couple of fixtures.

St Johnstone were next with no wins in seven, then Rangers with six, and everyone else was much of a muchness. 

Anyway, that's a little peek behind the curtain as to what I do with my day off. 

I think they and Motherwell are the only teams we haven't beaten in the last 20 years. 

What an opportunity we have here to address that!

Just now, Michael W said:

I think they and Motherwell are the only teams we haven't beaten in the last 20 years. 

What an opportunity we have here to address that!

Lets hope it goes a bit better than the couple of attempts we've had already this season...

I can't imagine there's any chance we'd sign Tumilty. 

Clearly finances are tight, restrictively so, and a (probably) non-televised Scottish Cup tie versus Motherwell won't change that a single iota. 

We saw last night that Adam Masson can step in at right back, albeit against very limited opposition and do okay, so any available budget would surely be spent on a striker, if there's any floating around. 

39 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

Our record against Inverness is obviously brought up every time we play them, but I had a look at our winless runs against the other SPFL sides, and it becomes even sillier when you compare it to everyone else. 

We're without a win over 90/120 minutes against them in 30 attempts.

With the exception of Celtic, which is at 37 games and stretches back to 1961, we don't have a record against any other side in Scotland that's even remotely as chronic as that. In fact, with almost everyone else, we've beaten them in the last couple of fixtures.

St Johnstone were next with no wins in seven, then Rangers with six, and everyone else was much of a muchness. 

Anyway, that's a little peek behind the curtain as to what I do with my day off. 

The very definition of a bogey team. 

30 winless games in a row is just ridiculous, however I very much expect it to be 31 come Saturday night. 

17 minutes ago, Double Jack D said:

The very definition of a bogey team. 

30 winless games in a row is just ridiculous, however I very much expect it to be 31 come Saturday night. 

I remember the suggestion that Livingston were our bogey team a while back, but that sequence only seemed to last eight games, which I'm surprised at. 

9 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

To turn that around,  who's the longest we're unbeaten against? East Fife and Montrose were two we lost in our last spell in League 1. 

Unfortunately, we have no record which can turn around that honking statistic versus Inverness. Our top three in terms of unbeaten sequences are 8- Hamilton, 7 - Forfar and 5 - Falkirk 

We're unbeaten in four against Airdrie. 

Edited by McGuigan1978

Last night I thought Gullan showed everything he is capable of being but doesn’t show nearly often enough. He showed a great amount of pace, ability to run in behind, ability to finish with a couple of great goals including the one that was ruled out. He looked dangerous and competent leading the line. Was that because of the level of opposition? Probably. But if he could just replicate that second half performance more regularly it would go part of the way to solving some of our problems up top. 

7 hours ago, UpInTheStand said:

Highlights from a different angle… 🙂

Congratulations on a deserved win and all the best for the next round and the rest of the season. 👍

A Nice refreshing change having abit of honest from an opposing manager who summed the game up perfectly instead of the usual one sided view from championship managers , Defo should have been a penalty award for each team but the game was full of poor refereeing decisions 

good luck to the Rose 

3 hours ago, McGuigan1978 said:

We saw last night that Adam Masson can step in at right back, albeit against very limited opposition and do okay, so any available budget would surely be spent on a striker, if there's any floating around. 

Pretty succinct viewpoint, and I’d agree. Let’s do a little juggling/maths.

At LB we have Ngwenya/Dick/Young to chose from, although there is a slight chance Young goes back to Elgin, but that seems unlikely as Elgin already got a replacement LB from Aberdeen.

At RB we have Millen/Brown/Masson to chose from.

At CB we have Nolan/Lang/Dick/Masson and probably Brown and Millen.

I just don’t see us spending for a CB right now, and I don’t see a loan for a Masson now, so sign the lad.

Midfield, with McGill’s arrival and Arnott’s departure, we’ll not do any more.

Attackers, we’re heavier on players preferring the left than the right, but plenty of wide players. Our current people playing the 9 are all more 10’s or false 9’s…the only player we have that is more a 9 is Little John, and he hasn’t shown what we need. I can see us looking for a real 9. If we’re offered a RW, we might take it to give Connolly some more rest later in games.