The New Raith Rovers Thread

Not the best draw but hey ho it could have been worse....far worse.

Should we get through I doubt it will be a candidate for Tv (though perhaps if Linlithgow win), the usual suspects such as  Rangers, Celtic and probably 2 from Accies v Hearts, Aberdeen (should they get past Darvel) v  Falkirk, the all SPL clash and even the Livvi v ICT/Queens Park being more attractive than our potential tie.

Partick and possibly Hamilton look to be the ones to gain most financially, and of course Falkirk.

If there's a bright side it's that we can't guarantee a cash windfall and there'll be no nasty surprise at the end of this window, the down side being there might well be no surprises at all.

If by some amazing stroke we get past LR and then Motherwell it could mean Murray having funds to start building for next season. All pie in the sky but given his transfer track record I'm not exactly brimming with confidence should that come to pass.

Actually think this is a decent draw - if we get past Linlithgow obviously. Motherwell will bring a decent crowd and as we’re at home then I think we could have a right go at them. Might not be the payday the Board wanted but good to get a team we’ve not played recently and at Stark’s. Just need to win on Tuesday first. 

Edited by roverthemoon

11 minutes ago, Kevchenko said:

Any info on Quinn Coulson? Was on our bench yesterday having signed him after he was released from you guys. 

We saw very little of him so really not best placed to tell you. He wanted to go play regular football and he was rarely, if ever, getting off our bench - and we have a tiny squad. No idea how he’ll be truth be told. Seemed fine when he came on on the odd occasion but impossible to really tell based on the minutes he got. 

13 minutes ago, Kevchenko said:

Any info on Quinn Coulson? Was on our bench yesterday having signed him after he was released from you guys. 

You’d be better asking the Cowden contingent about him. He spent some time on loan there last year, but didn’t get a huge amount of playing time. Murray seemed to rate him, so we were a little surprised he was released, but he almost never played.

11 hours ago, San Starko Rover said:

Winnable tie with it being at home. Motherwell should bring a decent support through due to novelty factor. Can’t recall last time we played outside a preseason friendly. Better draw than away to a similar team. 

All we need to do is make sure we don’t balls it up on Tuesday 🤔

I’m sure we put Motherwell out in a cup competition at home in the late 80”s early  90”s remember Alan McKenzie and Martin Nelson scoring if memory serves me right ( showing my age there 🙈)

58 minutes ago, basher brash said:

I’m sure we put Motherwell out in a cup competition at home in the late 80”s early  90”s remember Alan McKenzie and Martin Nelson scoring if memory serves me right ( showing my age there 🙈)

Yep. Cracking night that was. Motherwell were Scottish Cup holders at the time I think. 

It's a sin that there's no video footage of Nelson's goal. 

14 hours ago, foreverarover said:

With the exception of Cove Rangers that cup draw is an absolute disaster for us if we don't beat Linlithgow. Everyone in our area of the league has a decent pay day. 

Partick Thistle drew Rangers and Accies got Hearts at home (Douglas Park capacity is 6000). Hardly a disaster for us.

82CDDC5A-CB45-47B3-9B6B-CE8E11F7798F.jpeg

4 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Partick Thistle drew Rangers and Accies got Hearts at home (Douglas Park capacity is 6000). Hardly a disaster for us.

82CDDC5A-CB45-47B3-9B6B-CE8E11F7798F.jpeg

Regarding our league mates, best for Partick money wise, and (probably) for Ayr/Cove advancement wise. However, Livi will be a s**t payday and troublesome match to win for ICT/Queen’s. Motherwell’s crap form gives us a genuine chance to advance, but the next round is likely to be the limit unless we get a draw like Ayr/Cove or DU/Killie.

5 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Yep. Cracking night that was. Motherwell were Scottish Cup holders at the time I think. 

Newspaper headlines next morning called us "Skol Cup Shock Troops". Quite a game, and that Nelson goal.....

On 21/01/2023 at 18:31, Rover the Moon said:

Good result for them… Scudded 4-0 again and heading back to Lowland League it seems.

Out of interest, who was the last young player we sent out on loan who really shone and then came back to become a first-team regular for us? Genuinely don’t remember it happening.

Colin Cameron went to Sligo Rovers and came back the brilliant midfielder he turned out to be......
Other than that I cannot think of any?

We sent Ross Callachan out on loan to Musselburgh Athletic for a couple of months early on in his career (I won't lie, I had vague recollections of him going out on loan somewhere but had to Google the details 😉 ). He then became a first-team regular for us in subsequent seasons before going on to progress his career at a higher level. Not sure how much or how well he played while at Musselburgh, though. 

10 hours ago, basher brash said:

9 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

4 hours ago, Brashy's Boots said:

Newspaper headlines next morning called us "Skol Cup Shock Troops". Quite a game, and that Nelson goal.....

Martin Nelson's goal was a thing of beauty. From memory, he lobbed a stranded Sieb Dijkstra from the touchline and a fair bit up the pitch, although until I saw it on Youtube recently, my recollection of Craig Dargo's goal at EEP was from that sort of range as well so I could well be misremembering.