The New Raith Rovers Thread

15 hours ago, roverthemoon said:

Article in the FFP with MacDonald and Sim calling for an expanded top league. After the ‘we are skint’ announcement that just looks a bit embarrassing tbh. 

Didn’t they vote against exactly that in the Covid crisis? Voted no to the 14-14-14 proposal which clearly would’ve been great for Raith Rovers - more likely to go up, far less likely to go down. 

Totally agree that any ground move is pie in the sky. Not even remotely on the radar of the club.

However the longer we continue to throw good money after bad at Starks Park with it's very limited ability to generate revenue and it's growing maintenance costs the longer the investment in the football team will suffer. 

Other teams that built out of town stadiums not near public transport hubs or pubs solved this issue buy building car parks and pubs in the grounds. Then they charged for parking and sold pints in the pub at a profit.

3 hours ago, Double Jack D said:

Totally agree that any ground move is pie in the sky. Not even remotely on the radar of the club.

However the longer we continue to throw good money after bad at Starks Park with it's very limited ability to generate revenue and it's growing maintenance costs the longer the investment in the football team will suffer. 

Other teams that built out of town stadiums not near public transport hubs or pubs solved this issue buy building car parks and pubs in the grounds. Then they charged for parking and sold pints in the pub at a profit.

You’re not wrong however a lot of these clubs owned their previous stadium/land which they sold in order to fund the new one. Starting from scratch would take a hell of a lot of pints and parking spaces to pay back.

32 minutes ago, Dalziel8 said:

You’re not wrong however a lot of these clubs owned their previous stadium/land which they sold in order to fund the new one. Starting from scratch would take a hell of a lot of pints and parking spaces to pay back.

Bingo. A problem created by that c**t McGowan. 

Of course, the stadium and the club are separate, but have the one owner. Sim could incorporate the club and the stadium together as one again, but chooses not to. 

A cynical ploy to protect the asset and dump all the crap on the football club IMO. 

28 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Bingo. A problem created by that c**t McGowan. 

Of course, the stadium and the club are separate, but have the one owner. Sim could incorporate the club and the stadium together as one again, but chooses not to. 

A cynical ploy to protect the asset and dump all the crap on the football club IMO. 

You would have to think if the 3 mil quoted is correct it's for everything not just the football club.

29 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I’m not sure I agree. It’s no secret sim has no particular interest in sinking money into the football club. He wants the money to be spent on the stadium so eventually money filters in to the football club itself. 

We are due half a million in keeping the stadium safe. How on earth could the football club afford that ? We make a loss every year and that’s with paying £1k or whatever it is  a week on rent never mind shelling out £500k on maintenance. And I am sure the football club is or at least was due the stadium money from missed rent. 

As long as we are at Stark’s park it makes sense to have the two companies so the football club doesn’t go bust due to some maintenance costs. Although I would add the caveat of having the same owner/majority owner of both the stadium and club. 

I am not entirely sure where the money goes in terms of club or stadium from the renting of the pitch every night etc etc. I don’t see how the stadium can make money considering the pitch cost half a million, flood lights £200k and all the other bits that have been done. If all these costs were absorbed by the club if under one company, I don’t see how the club would still be here. 

For me the only way to break this chain is for a new outskirts of town stadium. The money needed for this is just astronomical for the size of our club so I don’t see it happening anytime soon. I’m keeping my fingers crossed my granny is sitting on a cool 100 million pound she has hidden under the bed 

Off subject but I noticed matej was at the Celtic v livi game last night, could be an extended holiday or is he signing ✍️? We are meant to be moving players on but open to adding players but we are skint but have ambitions to make the premier league , it definitely gets confusing 🤔 😐 

Edited by Been going too long

3 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

Off subject but I noticed matej was at the Celtic v livi game last night, could be an extended holiday or is he signing ✍️? We are meant to be moving players on but open to adding players but we are skint but have ambitions to make the premier league , it definitely gets confusing 🤔 😐 

Matej’s league is on a break until March, mentioned on RaithTV’s match coverage.

59 minutes ago, Offshore Rover said:

I’m not sure I agree. It’s no secret sim has no particular interest in sinking money into the football club. He wants the money to be spent on the stadium so eventually money filters in to the football club itself. 

We are due half a million in keeping the stadium safe. How on earth could the football club afford that ? We make a loss every year and that’s with paying £1k or whatever it is  a week on rent never mind shelling out £500k on maintenance. And I am sure the football club is or at least was due the stadium money from missed rent. 

As long as we are at Stark’s park it makes sense to have the two companies so the football club doesn’t go bust due to some maintenance costs. Although I would add the caveat of having the same owner/majority owner of both the stadium and club. 

I am not entirely sure where the money goes in terms of club or stadium from the renting of the pitch every night etc etc. I don’t see how the stadium can make money considering the pitch cost half a million, flood lights £200k and all the other bits that have been done. If all these costs were absorbed by the club if under one company, I don’t see how the club would still be here. 

For me the only way to break this chain is for a new outskirts of town stadium. The money needed for this is just astronomical for the size of our club so I don’t see it happening anytime soon. I’m keeping my fingers crossed my granny is sitting on a cool 100 million pound she has hidden under the bed 

With a common owner, it doesn't matter though. Having the stadium costs met by SPP with the club insulated from them doesn't help at all when SPP can't afford them either. John Sim will end up paying out of pocket and filing another liability in a set of accounts. 

At the moment we have an insolvent football club and a stadium company in a deteriorating position as well. I don't see a reason for the companies being separated, other than protecting against financial risk should the club go bust (i.e. the asset isn't then sold to pay debts). 

The pitch is another issue. I imagine the community use is supposed to help pay for the cost of it and to replace it when required, but perhaps this isn't making the money Sim thought it would? The football club itself gets no benefit from this arrangement. 

Edited by Michael W

3 hours ago, Dalziel8 said:

The predicted maintenance costs of Starks park over the next 30 years may not be any cheaper.

14 minutes ago, Double Jack D said:

The predicted maintenance costs of Starks park over the next 30 years may not be any cheaper.

Honestly, a new stadium would still be more expensive, but not by nearly the amount you might think.

Looks like we're expecting an emergency 'keeper loan in ahead of the game tomorrow. Hopefully mcniel can keep up his performances and make the starting spot his own. Ross looks like he can be filed under the same bracket as Matthews this season, in that they won't feature much due to recurring injury as well. 

This might be a stupid comment but if Rovers are sold for 3 million we will be totally debt free and have a new owner of the football club and stadium with all money going to John Sim as the debt is owed to him however stadium repairs of 500k will be hanging over the head of the new owner / football club basically . 

The puzzling thing for me is why the sudden change of heart with John Sim we were only planning on building a new community hub then later on new plans were submitted to double the size of the hub and come the end of October the plans are withdrawn what’s going on ! John Sim is privy to our current plight for many a year so why a change of heart within 1 and a half months