The New Raith Rovers Thread

12 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Think it just highlights the absolute gulf between English League 2 and Scottish Championship and just how limited the players are.

Tumilty is a shocking defender, he's good going forward at this level but he and the others have been completely found out at that level. Hartlepool would do well to punt the lot of them in January if they can. 

Yeah pretty sure most, if not all, will be available come January. 

35 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Think it just highlights the absolute gulf between English League 2 and Scottish Championship and just how limited the players are.

Tumilty is a shocking defender, he's good going forward at this level but he and the others have been completely found out at that level. Hartlepool would do well to punt the lot of them in January if they can. 

I said last year that Tumilty was much better going forward than defending, with Dick somewhat the other way around. To be honest, I’m not sure I’d agree to swap Millen for Tumilty right now…something I’m shocked to hear myself say…but Millen has certainly looked like he’s found his footing the last couple of matches. I suspect, with our juvenile CB pairing, that Tumilty would have been an unmitigated disaster this year.

I said last year that Tumilty was much better going forward than defending, with Dick somewhat the other way around. To be honest, I’m not sure I’d agree to swap Millen for Tumilty right now…something I’m shocked to hear myself say…but Millen has certainly looked like he’s found his footing the last couple of matches. I suspect, with our juvenile CB pairing, that Tumilty would have been an unmitigated disaster this year.
Rt over millen every time. It would actually help us get goals for a start. Never going to happen though unfortunately.

51 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Wow just wow.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

I honestly can’t believe you have said that 🤦🏻‍♂️ , he isn’t a great defender but teams would be more worried about what he would do  in there half and he would help create chances, millen has been steady last couple of games I agree but basically doing his job nothing more.

3 hours ago, grumswall said:
3 hours ago, TxRover said:

Rt over millen every time. It would actually help us get goals for a start. Never going to happen though unfortunately.

2 hours ago, raith1974 said:

Wow just wow.

2 hours ago, Been going too long said:

I honestly can’t believe you have said that 🤦🏻‍♂️ , he isn’t a great defender but teams would be more worried about what he would do  in there half and he would help create chances, millen has been steady last couple of games I agree but basically doing his job nothing more.

I understand the surprise, but the point is last year we had Lang (for a while), Berra, Bene and Frankie, all competent and EXPERIENCED CB’s to cover RT’s charges forward and, shall we say, laissez-faire defensive proclivities. It’s this year, with fresh meat in the middle, that we really need a bit more defending from the fullbacks. We’ve been more solid this year than last with Millen and Dick playing FB in place of Tumilty and Dick, so I guess the question is would the attacking threat of RT be worth the extra goals we would allow? In this case, I think not, your mileage may vary.

I say this as someone who is on record as a defender of Ross Millen: Reghan Tumilty is a much better right back. He seems to be having a very rough time of it at Hartlepool at the minute - they were thumped 6-0 at home to a bunch of Everton kids last night - but he is proven at this level. I think him getting to the byline and getting crosses in would help us massively, as we don’t really have anyone doing that at all at the moment. Ethan Ross has the potential to do it, but he has blown hot and cold (mostly cold) for months now. 

It looks like the Scottish experiment at Hartlepool is all but over already, with Hartley gone and their fans seemingly writing them all off. I guess it all comes down to how much these guys are on, how much Hartlepool are willing to pay them to leave, and whether or not the players are too proud to be back up the road within 6 months of leaving. For what it’s worth, I’d quite happily welcome Tumilty, Jack Hamilton and Euan Murray (I know, I know…) into our squad whenever they want to come back to Scotland. 

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I say this as someone who is on record as a defender of Ross Millen: Reghan Tumilty is a much better right back. He seems to be having a very rough time of it at Hartlepool at the minute - they were thumped 6-0 at home to a bunch of Everton kids last night - but he is proven at this level. I think him getting to the byline and getting crosses in would help us massively, as we don’t really have anyone doing that at all at the moment. Ethan Ross has the potential to do it, but he has blown hot and cold (mostly cold) for months now. 

It looks like the Scottish experiment at Hartlepool is all but over already, with Hartley gone and their fans seemingly writing them all off. I guess it all comes down to how much these guys are on, how much Hartlepool are willing to pay them to leave, and whether or not the players are too proud to be back up the road within 6 months of leaving. For what it’s worth, I’d quite happily welcome Tumilty, Jack Hamilton and Euan Murray (I know, I know…) into our squad whenever they want to come back to Scotland. 

I think we could all see the benefits of a Jack Hamilton and Tumilty but it comes down to finances and what the board want for this season. For me we are a bottom 3-4 club and could easily finish bottom 2 as we lack a goal scorer and natural width. Hamilton and Tumilty address both these issues. Do I think we will sign players of this quality come January, no do I think some of our rivals will, yes. 

I think this is it for me, I can appreciate what he did in both spells but his ultimate legacy is a financial black hole and a shredded club reputation. I don’t think I can really forgive him, or Sim, or anybody else for the DG signing. I’ve been down south since the debacle and the reaction I’ve had when you mention you’re a Rovers fan now is “oh god, that’s not that team who were in the news for signing a rapist?” At least they’ve heard of us now, I guess…
Say what you want about McGlynn, he put us on the map. [emoji22]

25 minutes ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

Inverness likely to have 6/7 first team players out injured for the game on Saturday.

If we can’t break the curse now it literally never happen.

Like I said to them in another thread, they could probably put 11 supporters on the pitch and still manage a result such is the hold they seem to have on us. 

14 hours ago, grumswall said:

Sim also said that due to certain wage rise clauses used to get players to sign, mcglynn had essentially pissed away future budgets as well. Obviously not a direct qoute. I still rate mcglynn highly and beyond the Goodwillie stuff wish him well.

This is classic Sim. Blame others and accept no responsibility. If there were stupid clauses in contracts then he gave the final go ahead on those contracts, so is equally if not more culpable.

A manager will always look at what they need in a football sense and want the best player available. It’s up to the Chairman/owner/CEO to assess the potential financial implications (or damage to reputation) of every signing target. 

38 minutes ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

Inverness likely to have 6/7 first team players out injured for the game on Saturday.

That’s happened more than once in the last few years. We never win. We won’t beat Inverness, ffs. 

13 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

That’s happened more than once in the last few years. We never win. We won’t beat Inverness, ffs. 

3/1 for a Rovers win I read.

It was last seasons home game that gave me the rage. 2-1 up heading to injury time and they score 2 identical goals from outside the box.

The opening game of the season being 4 nil up to Hamilton to finish with a draw set the season up for us struggling to not baton collapse at every opportunity.

1 hour ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

They had a number of players missing in the last game at Starks, made nae odds of a difference. 

6 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I say this as someone who is on record as a defender of Ross Millen: Reghan Tumilty is a much better right back.

I don’t disagree, but with youth and thinness at CB, be need the better defensive RB right now.

2 hours ago, Duncypoo said:

Fantasy talk, but if RT came in, I'd not be adverse to playing a back three of Dick, O'Riordan, and Millen. It doesn't solve any issues though, it's a lack of quality in the final third that's hurting us.

Oh Lord, would that be at the expense of the second forward, the DM or one of the Mids? And which player would you drop?