The New Raith Rovers Thread

15 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Depends how much credence you give to the stats I guess. The journo from the Courier that now covers the Fife teams churns out article after article about them and almost all of them seem to have us placed higher up the table than we actually are. It gets to the point where it's easy to disregard them.

image.gif.26d78f90d6f68a326aa6176409018860.gif

2 hours ago, roverthemoon said:

Not a huge fan of supporters starting to rewrite history just because a manager leaves. It’s disappointing to read some now trying to portray McGlynn as a dud, when he clearly took the club forward in both of his spells as manager. It’s a bit like Celtic fans now hating Brendan Rodger’s just because he left to go elsewhere. McGlynn wasn’t perfect but then who is and on his biggest failing - signing Goodwillie - at least held his hands up and apologised for it on camera, unlike anyone else left at the club. 

I don’t think anybody is saying he is/was a “dud” but he certainly had his limitations. Yeah he did pick us up by the scruff of the neck twice but he pretty much shat all over that for me by signing a rapist which did untold damage to our reputation and we’ll be paying for it monetarily for years. He apologised, eventually, but he didn’t hang around to sort his mess out.

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Depends how much credence you give to the stats I guess. The journo from the Courier that now covers the Fife teams churns out article after article about them and almost all of them seem to have us placed higher up the table than we actually are. It gets to the point where it's easy to disregard them.

The interesting stat was the xP that had us sitting 6th when we were pretty much top of the table before the Partick game…. there’s a reason every manager, coach, player and, of course, the bookies use these stats, but, nah, you know better.

2 hours ago, roverthemoon said:

Not a huge fan of supporters starting to rewrite history just because a manager leaves. It’s disappointing to read some now trying to portray McGlynn as a dud, when he clearly took the club forward in both of his spells as manager. It’s a bit like Celtic fans now hating Brendan Rodger’s just because he left to go elsewhere. McGlynn wasn’t perfect but then who is and on his biggest failing - signing Goodwillie - at least held his hands up and apologised for it on camera, unlike anyone else left at the club. 

Yeah McGlynn’s time from January 2022 onwards was a shambles and he can have no complaints with being offered lower terms/not being offered a deal. Any other Rovers manager would have been sacked before the season finished. The second half of the season in a poor league was relegation form with probably our biggest budget in over 20 years which simply wasn’t good enough.

However, let’s not rewrite history, he still did an excellent job overall for us. Promotion from League One, 3rd place in the Championship playing the best football in the league and a Challenge Cup win (well one and a half) will always have to be considered a success for a Raith Rovers manager. A shame the way it ended for all parties but you judge a manager based on what he inherits compared to what they leave and McGlynn clearly left us in a much better position (on the pitch) than what he took over.

I can certainly thank him and appreciate what he did for (twice) whilst still thinking it was the right decision for everyone to part ways. If people can’t forgive him for his part in the Goodwillie debacle that’s fair enough but you can’t discredit the job he did on the pitch up until January.

11 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

I can certainly thank him and appreciate what he did for (twice) whilst still thinking it was the right decision for everyone to part ways. If people can’t forgive him for his part in the Goodwillie debacle that’s fair enough but you can’t discredit the job he did on the pitch up until January.

I think this is it for me, I can appreciate what he did in both spells but his ultimate legacy is a financial black hole and a shredded club reputation. I don’t think I can really forgive him, or Sim, or anybody else for the DG signing. I’ve been down south since the debacle and the reaction I’ve had when you mention you’re a Rovers fan now is “oh god, that’s not that team who were in the news for signing a rapist?” At least they’ve heard of us now, I guess…

2 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

None of the stats have us higher in the table than we are but its showing that we could be higher than we are and I think everyone can see that. Where our stats are high are in all the areas apart from chance creation and scoring goals. We've got players who are individually performing but as a collective we're not gaining the overall benefit from it. 

9 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

None of the stats have us higher in the table than we are but its showing that we could be higher than we are and I think everyone can see that. Where our stats are high are in all the areas apart from chance creation and scoring goals. We've got players who are individually performing but as a collective we're not gaining the overall benefit from it. 

It’s also mildly telling that Ayr, Cove and us all have two players in the top 10 for crossing accuracy…but only Ayr are really taking advantage of it.

1 hour ago, Enigma said:

I think this is it for me, I can appreciate what he did in both spells but his ultimate legacy is a financial black hole and a shredded club reputation. I don’t think I can really forgive him, or Sim, or anybody else for the DG signing. I’ve been down south since the debacle and the reaction I’ve had when you mention you’re a Rovers fan now is “oh god, that’s not that team who were in the news for signing a rapist?” At least they’ve heard of us now, I guess…

The Goodwillie decision has to be part of the equation obviously in how he is assessed and with hindsight was probably for the best that he left after that error of judgement , but on balance I still hold him in high regard for his times at the club. His ultimate legacy is Rovers in the Championship and improving the infrastructure around the club both times. Some of the football in his second spell was breathtaking. 

The financial hole and trashed reputation I would ultimately put more at the Board and Sim’s door. They were the ones who should have looked at the non-football and financial consequences of the signing. Instead of rubber stamping it. 

Not based on anything other than a gut feel but I think the financial pressure is more to do with the fact that Sim has probably lost interest in Rovers and is now just looking to protect his investment or get what he can retrieve out of Stark’s Park. He is all about ego and last season I think he was seduced by the thought of being the big man who took us back to the top league which is why he ok’d the DG signing.  When that imploded and people didn’t see him as the messiah and now many actively hate what he stands for after that interview, he’s probably mentally and financially checked out. Just a guess, not based on any insider knowledge or anything. 

8 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

The Goodwillie decision has to be part of the equation obviously in how he is assessed and with hindsight was probably for the best that he left after that error of judgement , but on balance I still hold him in high regard for his times at the club. His ultimate legacy is Rovers in the Championship and improving the infrastructure around the club both times. Some of the football in his second spell was breathtaking. 

The financial hole and trashed reputation I would ultimately put more at the Board and Sim’s door. They were the ones who should have looked at the non-football and financial consequences of the signing. Instead of rubber stamping it. 

Not based on anything other than a gut feel but I think the financial pressure is more to do with the fact that Sim has probably lost interest in Rovers and is now just looking to protect his investment or get what he can retrieve out of Stark’s Park. He is all about ego and last season I think he was seduced by the thought of being the big man who took us back to the top league which is why he ok’d the DG signing.  When that imploded and people didn’t see him as the messiah and now many actively hate what he stands for after that interview, he’s probably mentally and financially checked out. Just a guess, not based on any insider knowledge or anything. 

As wild a guess as I've seen in a while.

21 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

You should be a spin doctor for the government!

32 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

stuff

If our financial situation has deteriorated it'll be sponsorship that never came back, the supporter's fund that hasn't recovered, the 100-200 off the top of our last season attendances that haven't shown up. you could look at Sim and ask why he doesn't cover the shortfall, and ultimately he, the board and McGlynn conspired to create that shortfall in the first place.

I don't think you are entirely off piste when it comes to Sim's attachment. That car crash interview last season at least hints at it. On the other hand he's seemingly committed to the (now, 4 story) hub. Maybe he changes his mind about it. Would he sell the club, and to who? The only local one with any money would surely be Colin Smart. There is probably no shortage of foreign owners out there, running the gauntlet of competency from The Hamburg guys at the Pars, to Claude fucking Anelka.

I think there is a long way to go on this, yet.

2 minutes ago, renton said:

I think there is a long way to go on this, yet.

Yeah agree. It’ll be a few years before we’re clear of the DG fallout. 

Suspect the ground and hub stuff is more about what Sim can get out of it rather than some kind hearted benevolence towards Rovers, but willing to hold my hands up if proved wrong and he comes good on these vague promises to hand the club to fans at some point in the future. 

1 minute ago, renton said:

That and McGlynn blowing a relatively huge budget last year even outside of DGW.

The hatred towards the club from the whole country didn’t help either. I, as all of us that support RRFC didn’t want that c**t at the club. And yet the baldy messiah did it anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Euan Murray, Brody Paterson and Reghan Tumilty are 75% of a Hartlepool defence that has conceded 5 goals in an hour to Everton u21s. 

I think it will be a long time before Hartlepool dip their toe into the Scottish market again. 

They deserve all they get, they started the 'John Hughes to the rescue' pish.

41 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Euan Murray, Brody Paterson and Reghan Tumilty are 75% of a Hartlepool defence that has conceded 5 goals in an hour to Everton u21s. 

I think it will be a long time before Hartlepool dip their toe into the Scottish market again. 

Think it just highlights the absolute gulf between English League 2 and Scottish Championship and just how limited the players are.

Tumilty is a shocking defender, he's good going forward at this level but he and the others have been completely found out at that level. Hartlepool would do well to punt the lot of them in January if they can.