Jump to content

The New Raith Rovers Thread


Recommended Posts

But it isn't just down to the full backs to deliver a decent cross, it is down to the whole team to create chances after all there is no I in team and football is a team game but agree we don't have the best of full backs. If we do sign this guy for up front, he will be the first striker over 6ft, 6ft 1/2 since Andy Smith.
Goze Ugwu according to stats was 6ft 3.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, foreverarover said:
8 hours ago, RRFC_Liam said:
Can’t remember 1 good game he’s played tbh, he slows all our attacks down by passing it backwards or sideways and he couldny cross water, can’t track back, defensively a liability, jockies his winger and doesn’t put a foot in like Saturday when there were 3 around that boy him included, he’s just a shite RB who’s here for 2 years 

For me he never put a foot wrong on the Hamilton game.

I'd agree, the game at NDP was easily his best outing in a Rovers jersey and I thought he'd found his feet and could kick on, he hasn't as yet.

To put that performance at NDP into context though, Hamilton were absolutely shite and that game aside he's not looked like mustard. Only 1 good outing in 4 in the cup and 1 in 5 in the league doesn't make for good stats. Some think if we were to bring in another RB for competition he could raise his game, I'm not so sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've only seen the ICT game but from what I saw we generally looked ok defensively. O'Riordan and Nolan hardly put a foot wrong and looked very comfortable, as did Liam Dick and Ross Millen up until the penalty.

The penalty was an absolute heads gone moment but I'm not going to totally write off Millen for the next 2 years because of one mistake. If it's a recurring theme then obviously it becomes an issue.

Millen stays on his feet there then there is every chance we get a clean sheet on Saturday. ICT didn't look a threat at all up to and even beyond that moment.

Our main issue is cutting edge up front.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, TxRover said:

Additionally, I don’t understand the pure venom direct at Liam Dick. He’s not nearly as bad as many

I agree , I’m no great fan of his but he is a steady enough player who can pop up with the occasional important goal eg Killie away last season and Morton this season. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, baillieinleeds said:

Aye, but he’s hardly kicked a ball, very limited game time hinders progression. He needs experience beside him.

Yeah, Nolan might be 23 but he's only played something like 20 first team games. I'm sure the biggest crowd he's played in front of was at Pittodrie, and I imagine the second biggest was Firhill. 

Undoubtedly, if you watched any of our last few games and only knew one of our centre halfs was a 23 year old who came through at Inter Milan and an 18 year old from Crewe, you'd misidentify them. But I like Nolan. I think it's a real shame for the pair of them that they've not got a more senior player to go beside them, which obviously Berra would've been perfect for. 

I'm also not keen on Murray hooking Nolan at the first sign of us getting beat. I know why he's doing it, but I think it belies a real lack of confidence in his core system. It hasn't worked for us so far, I think it disrupts the side too much. By all means make attacking changes, but when you've got 10 minutes to play and you've got a back three of Liam Dick, Connor O'Riordan and Aidan Connolly, it feels more like desperation rather than coherent strategy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, baillieinleeds said:

Aye, but he’s hardly kicked a ball, very limited game time hinders progression. He needs experience beside him.

Bar one mistake,  he's been absolutely fine.  

In an ideal world, yeah would be good to have some more experience back there.  But that is so far down on the priority list.  

Edited by CALDERON
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, baillieinleeds said:

Aye, but he’s hardly kicked a ball, very limited game time hinders progression. He needs experience beside him.

If we bring in an experience centre back then it means one of Nolan or O'Riordan dropping to the bench, or god forbid we go 3 at the back again, which offers us very little given our maligned fullbacks become more integral as wingbacks. 

If we bring anyone in, the need to have experience and ability to make a difference. Millen has bags of experience playing in better leagues than ours, hasn't done him many favours here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If results go the wrong way this week we could find ourselves 1 point above bottom of the league and 11 off top after 7 games played. 
 

Not sure I can enthuse myself to write off the entire Saturday afternoon and go Gayfield if the game just gone is anything to go by, especially second half that was grim.

Thought we’d turned a corner after Morton, Accies and even the Patrick defeat. Dundee looked average and we couldn’t score, ICT looked poor and we couldn’t score.

Feels like we need a worldie from Easton for a goal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Against The Machine said:

Yeah, Nolan might be 23 but he's only played something like 20 first team games. I'm sure the biggest crowd he's played in front of was at Pittodrie, and I imagine the second biggest was Firhill. 

Undoubtedly, if you watched any of our last few games and only knew one of our centre halfs was a 23 year old who came through at Inter Milan and an 18 year old from Crewe, you'd misidentify them. But I like Nolan. I think it's a real shame for the pair of them that they've not got a more senior player to go beside them, which obviously Berra would've been perfect for. 

I'm also not keen on Murray hooking Nolan at the first sign of us getting beat. I know why he's doing it, but I think it belies a real lack of confidence in his core system. It hasn't worked for us so far, I think it disrupts the side too much. By all means make attacking changes, but when you've got 10 minutes to play and you've got a back three of Liam Dick, Connor O'Riordan and Aidan Connolly, it feels more like desperation rather than coherent strategy. 

I agree. On Saturday we could've hooked Brown, Stanton and Connolly and brought Ross, Spencer and Arnott on to re jig the forward threat without completely destabilising the team. Also, chucking big O'Riordon up top would be a nice throwback to the gung-ho tactics of yesteryear. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Against The Machine said:

I'm also not keen on Murray hooking Nolan at the first sign of us getting beat. I know why he's doing it, but I think it belies a real lack of confidence in his core system. It hasn't worked for us so far, I think it disrupts the side too much. By all means make attacking changes, but when you've got 10 minutes to play and you've got a back three of Liam Dick, Connor O'Riordan and Aidan Connolly, it feels more like desperation rather than coherent strategy. 

 

54 minutes ago, Double Jack D said:

I agree. On Saturday we could've hooked Brown, Stanton and Connolly and brought Ross, Spencer and Arnott on to re jig the forward threat without completely destabilising the team. Also, chucking big O'Riordon up top would be a nice throwback to the gung-ho tactics of yesteryear. 

Unfortunately, this is a characteristic of Murrayball. Time gets short and defenders get replaced if we’re needing to score…it ended up working in League One, but never get them out of League One in the playoffs…we’ll see here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, CALDERON said:

Its a point worth raising again that Murray had a centre half with as much experience as you could ever want.  He decided to quit after the season had started.  Only so much can be done after that point.  

Bang on plus fairly sure we had experience at the back last season but shipped 44 goals

Think our goals against are like for like on last season after 6 games

Edited by Rovers_Lad
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, renton said:

Still waiting for this striker to appear...

최고 Ill Be Here Waiting GIF들 | Gfycat

If this suggested striker is a non-UK citizen then be prepared to wait for a month or more until international clearance and a work permit is granted, if it even will be. Given Rovers rarely announce a signing until clearance has been given, might be quiet for a while. Fingers crossed it won't be that way though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...