The New Raith Rovers Thread

5 hours ago, raith1974 said:

No, both have played at a level lower than the Championship. I'm talking about a player like a Cammy Fraser who played at a higher level dropping down to prologue his career, a Jimmy Nicholl, a Steven Anderson, a Christophe Berra all players that are bring leadership and a wealth of top level experience. 

Scott Brown has played in the Premiership.

8 hours ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

There’s been 1 league game. One league game.

Who gives a f**k about the league cup group stage. See the amount of premiership teams that got knocked out of that at the group stage as well. It shows very few teams care about that cup. We have only qualified from the group stage in that cup once since it came in about 6 or 7 years ago.

So take that out the equation, we have played one meaningful competitive game. And you’re calling for his head.

I'm not calling for his head. I'm questioning whether he's the right man for the job. Based on what's gone on so far, I have my doubts.

9 hours ago, raith1974 said:

No, both have played at a level lower than the Championship. I'm talking about a player like a Cammy Fraser who played at a higher level dropping down to prologue his career, a Jimmy Nicholl, a Steven Anderson, a Christophe Berra all players that are bring leadership and a wealth of top level experience. 

Those kind of players cost a fair bit of money! Is there many even available???

Also, in terms of experience.... Did Scott Brown not play in European qualifiers and in the PL with St Johnstone? Or does that no count either? 

Edited by GhostZapper

1 hour ago, GhostZapper said:

Those kind of players cost a fair bit of money! Is there many even available???

Also, in terms of experience.... Did Scott Brown not play in European qualifiers and in the PL with St Johnstone? Or does that no count either? 

He made 19 appearances for St Johnstone over a 3 year period when he was about 20 Yr old, hardly the experience type I've quoted. 

14 hours ago, CALDERON said:

I genuinely think a small element of our support thrive on things not going well.

It’s so that come October we can tell you “we told you so”. It’s great fun.

Seriously though, this season so far has all the signs of one that’s not going well. The fact the season has started and we’re still desperately hunting around for centre backs and coming up with 18 year olds on loan should tell folk that.

Murray seems a decent enough spud though and he was one of the managers I wanted when we were all guessing who would get the job, so I won’t be calling for his sacking any time soon. Hopefully he can get a break and get the signings he needs to improve the team.

Edited by Scary Bear

34 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

He made 19 appearances for St Johnstone over a 3 year period when he was about 20 Yr old, hardly the experience type I've quoted. 

4 players quoted out of a 30 year period, shows how rare it is to get in players like that.  

1 minute ago, CALDERON said:

4 players quoted out of a 30 year period, shows how rare it is to get in players like that.  

I'm not going to prepare a list but there are far more than 4 players. I was merely showing that throughout the time I've supported the club experienced players have signed and helped. Look at Steven Anderson made the defence instantly better. I'm all for an up and coming kid signing especially one with 11 appearance in League 1 down south but these players need an experienced head round them. 

4 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

I'm not going to prepare a list but there are far more than 4 players. I was merely showing that throughout the time I've supported the club experienced players have signed and helped. Look at Steven Anderson made the defence instantly better. I'm all for an up and coming kid signing especially one with 11 appearance in League 1 down south but these players need an experienced head round them. 

To be fair to the manager actually, I guess you could say he had that in Berra.  The fact the latter decided to call it a day, after the season had started, is why he's having to rake around at the last minute to bring an 18 Yr old in.

15 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

9 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

To be fair to the manager actually, I guess you could say he had that in Berra.  The fact the latter decided to call it a day, after the season had started, is why he's having to rake around at the last minute to bring an 18 Yr old in.

The only saving grace is we have a very experienced and good goalkeeper who should be able to work well with his back 4 and talk to them throughout the game 

17 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

The only saving grace is we have a very experienced and good goalkeeper who should be able to work well with his back 4 and talk to them throughout the game 

We do have a very good and experienced keeper but I still think we need a spine. Nothing up front in terms of experience, nothing at CB.

38 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

This is key. We had the absolute epitome of the kind of player raith1974 is talking about, until a week and a half ago. 

Even if the summer market was awash with experienced, higher level centre halfs, we didn't need another one. And just having a quick look at who's come in to the Championship over the summer, I'm not seeing anyone who fits that bill anyway, so it's not like we've missed out. 

In terms of players who might fit that archetype, I can only really think of Kirk Broadfoot, Liam Fontaine and Efe Ambrose? One went to the Lowland League, one to League One and the other remains unemployed. They've all got their faults, too, I'm not convinced any of them are up to Championship football any more. 

It's all well and good saying "we need a leader at the back, an experienced older head" but it's a bit like "we need a 20 goal a season striker". Everybody wants one, but they're few and far between. 

39 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

We do have a very good and experienced keeper but I still think we need a spine. Nothing up front in terms of experience, nothing at CB.

I agree bud I’m fed up with it as well just trying to look at a positive in this and we have a good keeper, good midfield and some experienced players. Berra threw a spanner in the works definitely but Macdonald will definitely keep the defence right 

Edited by Been going too long