The New Raith Rovers Thread

You can tell when someone is lucky enough not to have experienced a significant ligament injury. I've torn my ACL and even after surgery the ligament can never be as strong as before. Obviously professional athletes will do an incredible amount of strength and conditioning to every other muscle to compensate, but the ligament itself will always have a weakness.

The common procedure is to remove a string from your hamstring in order to graft the torn parts of the ACL together. So that presents another issue. God knows what they have had to do to someone like Vaughan who has had multiple operations. Can't keep doing that.

There is also the factor of muscle wastage from inactivity, which results in lots of wee niggles that slow down the process. The idea that you can avoid doing your ACL again by doing less football-like training is a fantasy; you need to be doing all the in-match actions in order to get back that level of muscular strength for a professional playing comeback.

I really hope that Vaughan can get to a point where he can continue to play (at any level) without a reoccurrence, I thought he would pack it in after the last one. Great determination on his part. 

So to my knowledge there is another option for acl reconstruction. You mentioned usage of part of hamstring from patient however you also have the ability for use do a donor graft. This is a more expensive option when going private however is more successful in preventing another tear. It is also the recommended method due to using part of hamstring having the possibility of reducing speed etc. I would expect that the most recent surgery would have been this.

23 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

We sadly lack leadership and experience, this will be our downfall this season. An experienced head at the back is always good especially with a 19 yr old left back and potentially an 18 yr old and 23 yr old at centre half. We also need similar up front although I get the feeling we are going to sign Innes Cameron.

I heard a wee whisper of another Killie loan the other day but thought maybe it was somebody getting mixed up/Chinese whispers with Connell, but yeah he was the name which did come to mind.

Interesting read in the FFP. Murray hoping to bring in 1 or 2 more players but if he doesn't he will go with what he has until he gets injured players back. He's kidding himself on if he thinks this defence will keep us up. A CB is needed and a striker. 

59 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

Interesting read in the FFP. Murray hoping to bring in 1 or 2 more players but if he doesn't he will go with what he has until he gets injured players back. He's kidding himself on if he thinks this defence will keep us up. A CB is needed and a striker. 

He also reckons we had 300 to 350 away fans at Cove 🤨

1 hour ago, raith1974 said:

Maybe he’s learnt a wee lesson about making promises about signings… McGlynn used to alway say he was “happy with the squad” before bringing a couple of guys in from out the blue.

Don't reckon that's too wild, if anything thought it would be a bit more given official attendance was over 1k.  Didn't look like Cove had as much as 700 odd.

Edited by CALDERON

8 minutes ago, OhnononoGeordieMunro said:

Confirms we've a new signing coming in tomorrow.

Doesn't quite "confirm", but does say it's very likely. Also says he's a "few [players] away" from being completely happy with the squad. He's looking for at least one more forward, which I think we all knew we needed, presumably in addition to whoever comes in tomorrow. 

4 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

Doesn't quite "confirm", but does say it's very likely. Also says he's a "few [players] away" from being completely happy with the squad. He's looking for at least one more forward, which I think we all knew we needed, presumably in addition to whoever comes in tomorrow. 

Haven’t listened to the interview on the website yet but an interview in the courier just gone up where he says he hopes to have a centre half in for the Dundee game (presumably O’Riordan) and another striker and a winger although the winger is down the list of priorities at the moment.

2 hours ago, raith1974 said:

When he relegates us, he can get on with the unfinished business of winning League 1. Looks like he’s trying to rebuild Airdrie at Rovers. Could he not sign one of their centre backs?

49 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

I wish some folk on here would give Murray a break. He's trying like a bear to put a decent team on the pitch and he's not far away. This constant carping for no reason has no merit.

Ah well. We can overlook the early warning signs of incompetence as long as he's trying his best. 

The wee soul.