The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 minute ago, Michael W said:

Yes. 

I excluded Riley-Snow, Tumilty and Musonda. Think everyone else is signed until at least 2023. 

Suspect we'll keep Arnott, Mitchell and Young. Imagine Coulson, Mahady and Bow might be away.

If you look at last season’s squad, apart from the youngsters we had three first team players, BRS, Keatings and McKay all loaned out that were deemed surplus to requirements. We also had Musonda who struggled to get a place in the team and was shoe horned into whatever position was available just to try and give him game time.

If our new squad doesn’t allow for these kind of surplus numbers of obvious first team players then we still won’t be in a bad place. 

10 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Murray did say he wanted quality over quantity, time will tell what numbers he wants to work with and if that includes or excludes the loan market

He’s said before he wanted to make use of loans. Think I saw on another club’s thread there was some winger from Rangers we were after along with a few others.

13 minutes ago, Enigma said:

He’s said before he wanted to make use of loans. Think I saw on another club’s thread there was some winger from Rangers we were after along with a few others.

Josh McPake. If he goes out and signs a winger I'll have absolutely no idea how he's planning to play. Pack the midfield and the wings, forego defending altogether? 

12 minutes ago, Enigma said:

That'll be Josh Mcpake, I think he'll be Hartlepool bound and reportedly has an attitude problem

3 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

Josh McPake. If he goes out and signs a winger I'll have absolutely no idea how he's planning to play. Pack the midfield and the wings, forego defending altogether? 

3 at the back and Zanatta sold to Falkirk 😂😂😂

Looking at the squad minus Tumilty, Musonda, Riley Snow, Spencer, Bow, Mahady, Coulson and Agnew who may or may not play we currently have 19 signed players. Two are injured and I could see a couple going out on loan. If we have 6 players still to come in to take us up to squad of 25 then I can see us sign a right back, 2 Centre halfs, 2 strikers and an other possibly Spencer.

We will need 2 centre halfs as we currently only have one fit with one due to return at the end of the year. We also need a couple of strikers as we don't have much in the way of out and out strikers and Vaughan may not be fit every week. 

11 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Sean Mackie chaps? Good, bad or indifferent? 

When he came to us he hadn't played a first team match in about 2 years and you could tell. He was miles off it in his first 2 or 3 games. He did get better the more he played and put in a couple of decent performances towards the end of the season. 

If he stays fit and gets a good run of games I think he'll do a decent job in league 1 but he'd probably be one you'd be looking to move on if you get promoted. 

13 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

When he came to us he hadn't played a first team match in about 2 years and you could tell. He was miles off it in his first 2 or 3 games. He did get better the more he played and put in a couple of decent performances towards the end of the season. 

If he stays fit and gets a good run of games I think he'll do a decent job in league 1 but he'd probably be one you'd be looking to move on if you get promoted. 

Hope he stays healthy. He's signed a two year deal. Might be the end of the road for Leon McCann as I don't see him starting in front of him. But we'll see. 

15 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Hope he stays healthy. He's signed a two year deal. Might be the end of the road for Leon McCann as I don't see him starting in front of him. But we'll see. 

If I was McGlynn I would have been offering a 1 year deal, but it might be he needed to offer 2 years to get him to sign I suppose. When McGlynn signed him he said he could also play centre back and he filled in there a couple of times during matches in emergencies but when we were really short there McGlynn decided to start Liam Dick at centre back with Mackie at left back. 

3 hours ago, raith1974 said:

Looking at the squad minus Tumilty, Musonda, Riley Snow, Spencer, Bow, Mahady, Coulson and Agnew who may or may not play we currently have 19 signed players. Two are injured and I could see a couple going out on loan. If we have 6 players still to come in to take us up to squad of 25 then I can see us sign a right back, 2 Centre halfs, 2 strikers and an other possibly Spencer.

We will need 2 centre halfs as we currently only have one fit with one due to return at the end of the year. We also need a couple of strikers as we don't have much in the way of out and out strikers and Vaughan may not be fit every week. 

Honestly, I count 16 players right now (includes Arnott) as the main squad. Bow is a spare wheel keeper, should be loaned out to develop…Coulson needs playing time on loan, as does Mitchell…Young is likely needed as a backup…Masson needs development…Mahady is surplus to requirements.

With the 16 main players, we have to consider Murray’s preferred tactics. Last year he favored 4-3-3, 4-4-2, 4-1-4-1 and 4-1-3-2…so we can assume he needs some DM and CB depth, wants usable FB’s with endurance and pace, and a decent striker. For now we have:

Macdonald (Thomson)

???(???)  Lang*(???)  Berra(???)  Dick(Young)

Matthews(Brown) Stanton(???) Easton(Arnott)

Zanatta(Ross)  Vaughan(Gullan)  Connolly(???)

What do we need? 2 CB, a RB (can Brown cover RB as backup and is Young ready as backup LB?), a second DM (Spencer?), and a RW/CF? That would be 21 players, leaving a couple of spots for loans. The second DM is pretty important, as Murray likes a 4-4-2 double 6 sometimes, and the CB’s and RB are critical…strengthening the attack is behind all those needs, in my opinion. This also assumes we release Mahady and loan Mitchell, Coulson, Masson and Bow out.

Heard from a friend who was talking to Bene and Reghan Hendry today. Bene said no-one from the club had been in touch from seasons end regarding contracts. His agent finally managed to get the offer of another year on the same wages but Pars offered more money and 2 years.

Maybes aye, maybes naw.

2 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

Heard from a friend who was talking to Bene and Reghan Hendry today. Bene said no-one from the club had been in touch from seasons end regarding contracts. His agent finally managed to get the offer of another year on the same wages but Pars offered more money and 2 years.

Maybes aye, maybes naw.

I can understand the club not offering him anything when we didn't have a manager. 

44 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Honestly, I count 16 players right now (includes Arnott) as the main squad. Bow is a spare wheel keeper, should be loaned out to develop…Coulson needs playing time on loan, as does Mitchell…Young is likely needed as a backup…Masson needs development…Mahady is surplus to requirements.

With the 16 main players, we have to consider Murray’s preferred tactics. Last year he favored 4-3-3, 4-4-2, 4-1-4-1 and 4-1-3-2…so we can assume he needs some DM and CB depth, wants usable FB’s with endurance and pace, and a decent striker. For now we have:

Macdonald (Thomson)

???(???)  Lang*(???)  Berra(???)  Dick(Young)

Matthews(Brown) Stanton(???) Easton(Arnott)

Zanatta(Ross)  Vaughan(Gullan)  Connolly(???)

What do we need? 2 CB, a RB (can Brown cover RB as backup and is Young ready as backup LB?), a second DM (Spencer?), and a RW/CF? That would be 21 players, leaving a couple of spots for loans. The second DM is pretty important, as Murray likes a 4-4-2 double 6 sometimes, and the CB’s and RB are critical…strengthening the attack is behind all those needs, in my opinion. This also assumes we release Mahady and loan Mitchell, Coulson, Masson and Bow out.

I think Spencer will sign and if it’s the 2 6s he plays in a 442 it will be Spencer/Matthews or Spencer/Brown as Stanton is more of an 8 

Given we likely paid for Gullan and a long contract, I can't see him leaving. Same with Ross unless we recouped some finances. I'd be ok with Zanatta or Connolly going. 
I would like Arnott, Mitchell and Young to be retained and blended into the squad with plenty of game time.
Our player of the year, and you are happy if he leaves?