The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Based on his interview in the Courier, it doesn't sound as though we actually offered Benedictus a deal. 

Doesn't surprise me. What I'd heard was the first Bene had heard from Murray was when he told him he'd accepted a deal at Dunfermline...which then prompted Murray to speak to Spencer. Spencer hasn't actually signed anything yet, he's in the Maldives but plans to sign new deal on his return. 

5 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Doesn't surprise me. What I'd heard was the first Bene had heard from Murray was when he told him he'd accepted a deal at Dunfermline...which then prompted Murray to speak to Spencer. Spencer hasn't actually signed anything yet, he's in the Maldives but plans to sign new deal on his return. 

He should be back soon then and it being announced as I think we start pre season training on Friday 

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Based on his interview in the Courier, it doesn't sound as though we actually offered Benedictus a deal. 

Wouldn’t surprise me tbh, is this Bene saying oh rovers haven’t offered me a deal and al F off to Dunfermline type thing, because remember Falkirk was also in for him supposedly 

Was rewatching Ian Murray’s press conference there and he did say he would talk to Bene, maybe he had spoken to him…… but he also said he would watch previous footage from last season maybe he saw that he doesn’t fit in what Murray wants to do  and never offered him a deal? It’s all ifs and buts and we will never know 

1 hour ago, Double Jack D said:

Find it hard to believe Bene has more "respect" for McPake than for McGlynn.

Best of luck to him though, he's been a decent servant over the years.

Mcpake didn't sign a rapist, which led to Benedictus being put out for that really awkward interview. If you're manager had put you in that position you'd probably lose some respect for him aswell. 

There were many factors in play right enough but I don't think it's a big jump to suggest that some of the players didn't appreciate getting lumped with Goodwillie, and performances suffered a bit as a result? 

35 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Mcpake didn't sign a rapist, which led to Benedictus being put out for that really awkward interview. If you're manager had put you in that position you'd probably lose some respect for him aswell. 

There were many factors in play right enough but I don't think it's a big jump to suggest that some of the players didn't appreciate getting lumped with Goodwillie, and performances suffered a bit as a result? 

Kyle Benedictus: David Goodwillie has 'backing' of Raith Rovers (thecourier.co.uk)

What this one, where he was 100% behind the signing coz he would've scored some goals?

How do you feel about your new signing?

36 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Thankfully the club addressed those issues at the end of the season. Hopefully the rapist will be next to go. 

42 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

The performances had already dipped, though after we signed Goodwillie they didn’t recover. I absolutely agree, there’s no way there wasn’t at least one or two guys in that dressing room who weren't fully comfortable with that signing (in private at least). That said, I think from what Bene said at the time, he probably wasn’t in that camp.

I read McGlynn making platitudes about being keen on being involved in building a “family” club at Falkirk, not sure how that quite squares with his involvement in the whole DG saga.

Edited by Enigma

4 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Why don't we gift DG to falkirk 

Drive him there myself etc.

I’m hopeful we’ll see some good news about us finally parting ways with DG soon.

43 minutes ago, Double Jack D said:

Kyle Benedictus: David Goodwillie has 'backing' of Raith Rovers (thecourier.co.uk)

What this one, where he was 100% behind the signing coz he would've scored some goals?

How do you feel about your new signing?

IIRC he gave that interview after the club statement doubling down on Goodwillie, but before they backtracked. 

It would've been nice for a player to come out and say "f**k that, I'm not playing with a rapist" but realistically that's never going to happen, they were put in a horrifically awkward situation by the club hierarchy. 

Again IIRC no Raith player came out condemning it? I presume though that you'll be happy for Ross, Spencer, Tumilty to turn out next year? Presumably because you realise it wasn't there fault for the situation they found themselves in. 

It is a shite interview, and having watched his interview with us I think it's highly plausible that Benedictus is a bit thick. 

43 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

Thankfully the club addressed those issues at the end of the season. Hopefully the rapist will be next to go. 

Hopefully. 

40 minutes ago, Enigma said:

The performances had already dipped, though after we signed Goodwillie they didn’t recover. I absolutely agree, there’s no way there wasn’t at least one or two guys in that dressing room who weren't fully comfortable with that signing (in private at least). That said, I think from what Bene said at the time, he probably wasn’t in that camp.

Aye that's what I was meaning about there being plenty factor's at play, I don't think it was the only factor, but I don't think it would be surprising for some players to have lost some respect. 

50 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

IIRC he gave that interview after the club statement doubling down on Goodwillie, but before they backtracked. 

It would've been nice for a player to come out and say "f**k that, I'm not playing with a rapist" but realistically that's never going to happen, they were put in a horrifically awkward situation by the club hierarchy. 

Again IIRC no Raith player came out condemning it? I presume though that you'll be happy for Ross, Spencer, Tumilty to turn out next year? Presumably because you realise it wasn't there fault for the situation they found themselves in. 

It is a shite interview, and having watched his interview with us I think it's highly plausible that Benedictus is a bit thick. 

Hopefully. 

Aye that's what I was meaning about there being plenty factor's at play, I don't think it was the only factor, but I don't think it would be surprising for some players to have lost some respect. 

Correct, no player in the squad condemned it.

One supported it 100%, I'm glad he no longer plays for us. :)

I'd guess we are hoping some team (abroad probably) will take Goodwillie off us to save us paying off the rest of his contract. We'd probably forego a transfer fee as well. 

Edited by Lang Toun Lad

1 minute ago, Lang Toun Lad said:

I'd guess we are hoping some tram (abroad probably) will take Goodwillie off us to save us paying off the rest of his contract. We'd probably forego a transfer fee as well. 

No probably about it, I'd imagine you'd be happy just paying off less than the maximum. 

9 minutes ago, Double Jack D said:

Correct, no player in the squad condemned it.

One supported it 100%, I'm glad he no longer plays for us. :)

Captain speaks for the squad etc. 

I hope you have the same energy for Sim?