The New Raith Rovers Thread

6 minutes ago, The Tiel Burn said:

I'm in the retain camp, think he carried more blame than was deserved at times. Its a good signing for them and without knowing the replacement a move we can't criticise from the new managers perspective. 

Seems like a trait of the Rovers board, stall then wait for the player/manager or another club to make the move elsewhere.

Great servant, great captain.

You do know players have offers months in advanced if they are on pre contracts? Maybe he was waiting on what we would offer before a decision was made, and we never had a manager for 2 weeks and Murray has probably got his own CHs in mind and offered him a 1 year deal and Bene probably wanted 2 or 3 years 

3 minutes ago, renton said:

I've said it before but to reiterate, not that fussed at him going. He's obviously done a good job overall for the club and goes with best wishes, etc. However, he's just got that off switch for  his concentration/application and it's been a larger part of his game in the last few seasons.

For every match winning challenge like that at Thistle near the end of the season, there is an example of him getting stuck under a high ball against Morton (led directly to a goal) or a fucking ball achingly stupid challenge like that on Broadfoot to lose is a game. 

Like @Enigma, I might yet regret it, but I feel we can do better - even if that is a guy with maybe only 70% of the same skill level but with better decision making - I think we'd be overall better off.

100% facts 

I'd be much happier if we knew Musonda was definitely staying, but I'm relatively happy to roll the dice on this one. 

Purely theoretical, but if you had a guaranteed full fitness Berra, Lang and Musonda for the season, Benedictus wouldn't get a look in. On that basis alone I can see why he'd maybe be thinking about going elsewhere, particularly as club captain. 

As we saw last year, though, with the availability of the defenders we've got we're going to use at least four centre halfs fairly regularly throughout the season. I think there are better players out there than Benedictus, whether or not we can find one of them is obviously the gamble. We could probably do with another young guy to come in and take Dave McKay's squad place too. 

All in all, it's probably not cost effective to try and retain Kyle Benedictus as one of the most prominent (and therefore, you'd imagine, best paid) players in the squad. 

Ideally, you'd want your captain to be the kind of player the teams around you covet. But there's a reason that Benedictus has dropped into League One rather than going to a direct rival. He's not got the required quality to be a guaranteed starter in a top half Championship side. 

That said, I think he'll be a really good signing for the Pars. Some of his limitations will still be apparent in League One as they would be at any level, but he's got a lot of experience and he's won League One before. He's a good all-rounder for a centre half, for the vast majority of the time he'll give you 7 or 8/10 in his positioning, heading, tackling and passing. The price you pay for that is the odd mad rush of blood where he gets himself sent off or is wildly out of line with the rest of his defence, but in games against the bottom half sides in League One when the Pars will have most of the ball, he'll be imperious. 

2 minutes ago, Dalgety Rover said:

Can’t complain. Been here 7 seasons, rock solid at the start but hasn’t really been the same since that leg break vs Ayr. Shame he’s going to them, but no hard feelings. 

Aw the best Bene.

League 1 is probably is level now anyway not that arsed he’s leaving but wouldn’t of been against him staying as an extra body in defence 

Bene Was a good servant if an occasional hothead and liability, lost a good bit of pace since he first arrived with Toshney (a great pairing). Was apparently increasingly difficult to deal with in recent times regarding new contracts.
For me his time was up and we need newer options, there are other players I would push the boat out for before Bene. Not a popular suggestion with some but I’d have kept big Dave McKay.

I know he’s the only one to leave so far but I hope we don’t lose too many established Championship players and replace them with ok but largely untried L1 guys. No more Lewis Milne types hopefully.

Not too fussy about Bene moving on, even to the wee team.  Not rated him for a few years now.  
As for the season ticket/Goodwillie fiasco thing, I am purchasing my first season ticket in 3 years, and I was one that vowed not to step back into Starks.  However, the fact he will never pull on a Rovers shirt, and the fact we have got shot of the piss poor management team (in my opinion), and replaced with the best manager we could get at our level speaks volumes.  Pity we still have the 3 stooges in the board room remaining of the 4 that sanctioned the farce.  However, I expect the CEO will be punted at some point.  

Feel refreshed with the club after it staled out under McGrymm.  Onwards and hopefully upwards.

As others have said, happy to roll the dice and try to get better, Berra and Lang already on the books were a better partnership last season although the latter will be out for the start of the season and Berra was injured a lot in the second half of the season, we definitely need 2 centre backs assuming Musonda is away.

I would have kept him on as 3rd/4th choice but as club captain, he was never going to agree to that and you don’t want someone with his influence in the dressing room unhappy about not playing, particularly with a new manager.

He is a competent Championship centre back so in theory, he should stroll League One but I don’t think that’ll be the case. Until Steven Anderson arrived, he wasn’t particularly great for us in League One after his injury in the Barry Smith season. The flaws he has; pace on the turn, concentration and discipline are all equally evident in League One, concentration even more so because he has less to do.

He was always at his best being able to defend deep in backs to the walls performances, defending his box and he won’t get many of those with a title challenger in League One. His performance away to Airdrie in the 1-0 win in the shortened season was standout, he was outstanding that day, like a magnet to the ball the last 10-15 minutes as defended ball after ball launched in the box.

He goes with my best wishes though, he has racked up a lot of appearances for us and on the whole been a good player and by all accounts off the field, a very good captain. 

https://www.raithrovers.net/54921/colin-smart-joins-the-rovers-board.htm?fbclid=IwAR3sw0S66E-6ek84dRV_Wd3bmb2MmpMRa3uej-9CQSFJ7MvDt6vLt4B6Wzw

In other news...

Fairly unsurprising I think, given his role in sponsoring the shirts next season. Think he carries a fair financial heft and likely won't be in thrall to Sim, so overall a good addition.

3 minutes ago, renton said:

https://www.raithrovers.net/54921/colin-smart-joins-the-rovers-board.htm?fbclid=IwAR3sw0S66E-6ek84dRV_Wd3bmb2MmpMRa3uej-9CQSFJ7MvDt6vLt4B6Wzw

In other news...

Fairly unsurprising I think, given his role in sponsoring the shirts next season. Think he carries a fair financial heft and likely won't be in thrall to Sim, so overall a good addition.

Yeah I’ve heard that Colin smart has a very good financial back ground so that could be a good thing for the football club if funds are needed 

Edited by RRFC_Liam

Mixed on Bene - always a player i've liked, always solid enough at the back, but just think he's lost a wee bit of something the past year or two. He's not the standout he was 5-6 years ago. Particularly in the middle of last season, when Lang and Berra were playing, it looked like Bene would struggle to get in the team. Maybe Murray fancies something a bit different at the back, which he's well within his rights to do! i imagine at Benes age we prob only offered him a year, and he'd prob be after a bit more security. Will defo do a job down in League 1 though. Sad to see him go all the same. A good servant to the club. 

I'm not too bothered about Bene leaving. Great servant but with him and Berra at the back we really struggled for any pace. Berra also plays the same position that Bene filled for years. Hopefully a quick, centre half or 2 will be targeted that can complement Berra. Interesting to see which out of contract players stay. For me the priority has always been Tumilty and Spencer.