The New Raith Rovers Thread

Hope Scott goes on to do really well for Raith.  Was asked to do a number of jobs for us and never looked out of place in any of them, always looking to drive forward and really good picking out a chance from the edge of the box. Would doubt anyone at Peterhead would have a bad word to say about him.

So let’s review the current status of the team:

Keepers: Bow, MacDonald and Thomson signed. Expecting MacDonald and Thomson to stay regardless, and Thomson may stay as keeper coach. Bow is an enigma, but we all know we NEED a third keeper around somewhere.

Defenders: Centrally we have Berra, Masson and Lang (about December). Dick can play across the back, as Lang probably could too. Young is a LB, but might work at CB too.

Midfield: Arnott, Brown and Easton are all, by preference, attacking mids, Matthews and Stanton are more conventional.

Forwards/Wings: Connolly and Zanatta are pretty much only wingers, Ross is clearly capable as both, Vaughan and Gullan are more forward than wing. Coulson and Mitchell are developing, Coulson as a winger and Mitchell in a Pops like role as a speedy striker, but are unlikely to help this year. Mahady seems on the outs.

Where does this leave Murray? With defensive issues, and some attacking concerns, for sure…but even with Easton and Brown, I can still see a need for someone like Spencer, something I didn’t think was true when I saw Brown had signed. If we don’t sign Spencer, I would expect one or two more mids…if we sign Spencer, adding a CB who can also play DM would be an excellent signing.

We’ll certainly sign a few defenders, most likely a RB (or two) and a couple of CB…I’m just not sure we’ll get an attacker until loans become available.

22 minutes ago, TxRover said:

So let’s review the current status of the team:

Keepers: Bow, MacDonald and Thomson signed. Expecting MacDonald and Thomson to stay regardless, and Thomson may stay as keeper coach. Bow is an enigma, but we all know we NEED a third keeper around somewhere.

Defenders: Centrally we have Berra, Masson and Lang (about December). Dick can play across the back, as Lang probably could too. Young is a LB, but might work at CB too.

Midfield: Arnott, Brown and Easton are all, by preference, attacking mids, Matthews and Stanton are more conventional.

Forwards/Wings: Connolly and Zanatta are pretty much only wingers, Ross is clearly capable as both, Vaughan and Gullan are more forward than wing. Coulson and Mitchell are developing, Coulson as a winger and Mitchell in a Pops like role as a speedy striker, but are unlikely to help this year. Mahady seems on the outs.

Where does this leave Murray? With defensive issues, and some attacking concerns, for sure…but even with Easton and Brown, I can still see a need for someone like Spencer, something I didn’t think was true when I saw Brown had signed. If we don’t sign Spencer, I would expect one or two more mids…if we sign Spencer, adding a CB who can also play DM would be an excellent signing.

We’ll certainly sign a few defenders, most likely a RB (or two) and a couple of CB…I’m just not sure we’ll get an attacker until loans become available.

Try and get Spencer to re-sign, two CBS, a right back and a proper No 9. Job is by and large a good 'un.

We may have to settle for the loan market for a forward but would note that it's a bit of a lottery - especially as it is usually younger guys who might not be up to the mark in competitive football.

4 minutes ago, renton said:

Try and get Spencer to re-sign, two CBS, a right back and a proper No 9. Job is by and large a good 'un.

We may have to settle for the loan market for a forward but would note that it's a bit of a lottery - especially as it is usually younger guys who might not be up to the mark in competitive football.

I see Adeloye looks like he's potentially moving on from Ayr.

Other than him, I'm struggling to think of many available 'proven' centre forwards at Championship level. Maybe Ugwu if he's not committed with Morton yet.

Just now, Ro Sham Bo said:

Other than him, I'm struggling to think of many available 'proven' centre forwards at Championship level. Maybe Ugwu if he's not committed with Morton yet.

I wouldn't mind Ugwu back, but I was always a wee bit of a bigger fan of him than a lot of guys.

Euan Henderson maybe?

5 minutes ago, renton said:

Yea, the loan market for forwards is a true crap shoot, but hopefully Murray’s contacts, and the fact it would be a finishing school for a Premiership youngster, will generate a useful pair of feet. I just don’t see that our budget can be that happy with many more signings, and defenders are a massive amount more important than an attacker right now.

38 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Would love to be able to get Bowie back on loan but suspect Fulham will be looking to put him out to a higher level than the Championship.

18 hours ago, AllanJM said:

Would love to be able to get Bowie back on loan but suspect Fulham will be looking to put him out to a higher level than the Championship.

Iv seen him twice,  in the last week at night in Asda. he’s prob up to see family and friends, but you never know .