The New Raith Rovers Thread

With apologies to Laura for pulling a tweet across to here, which I think is a little shady... 

I think this is important, especially given how opaque the club have been about Karen Macartney's duties since she joined. 

So the club - a football club, mind - hired a Chief Executive who couldn't be involved in any football contract matters, presumably because of the conflict of interest. 

Which opens up a whole barrel of questions, all of which further call into question the leadership at the club. 

Once again, though, I'm going to cry out for some communication. There's so much acrimony at the moment and at least some of it will inevitably be directed at the wrong people because we've got absolutely no idea who does what at the club. If that's all changing now that Paul Smith has left (!?) then it's the perfect time to lay out the roles and responsibilities for everyone from the owner down through the CEO, the Chairman and the new look board. 

The thing is looking at the rest of the championship of we could pick anyone else's manager I think you would struggle to get overly excited. 

Campbell has done wonders at Arbroath but doubt he could do it again and I'm expecting an Arbroath collapse as his side get older and teams work them out. 

Imrie has had a great start at Morton getting them organised.

That's about it I just don't think there's all that many managers to get excited about. 

In terms of the unemployed nd likely candidates it's even worse.

Some of the names give me genuine fear. 

5 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

With apologies to Laura for pulling a tweet across to here, which I think is a little shady... 

I think this is important, especially given how opaque the club have been about Karen Macartney's duties since she joined. 

So the club - a football club, mind - hired a Chief Executive who couldn't be involved in any football contract matters, presumably because of the conflict of interest. 

Which opens up a whole barrel of questions, all of which further call into question the leadership at the club. 

Once again, though, I'm going to cry out for some communication. There's so much acrimony at the moment and at least some of it will inevitably be directed at the wrong people because we've got absolutely no idea who does what at the club. If that's all changing now that Paul Smith has left (!?) then it's the perfect time to lay out the roles and responsibilities for everyone from the owner down through the CEO, the Chairman and the new look board. 

If said CEO has had no dealings with contract matters then. 

1. What is her role 

2. Why is she now spearheading the recruitment of a manager. Was it a case of there previously being a conflict of interest in which case back to point number 1. 

25 minutes ago, pub car king said:

If said CEO has had no dealings with contract matters then. 

1. What is her role 

2. Why is she now spearheading the recruitment of a manager. Was it a case of there previously being a conflict of interest in which case back to point number 1. 

What football knowledge expertise does she have to pick who is best to be first team manager, not being sexist but seriously, who on the board could do that🤷🏻‍♂️

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, pub car king said:

The thing is looking at the rest of the championship of we could pick anyone else's manager I think you would struggle to get overly excited. 

Campbell has done wonders at Arbroath but doubt he could do it again and I'm expecting an Arbroath collapse as his side get older and teams work them out. 

Imrie has had a great start at Morton getting them organised.

That's about it I just don't think there's all that many managers to get excited about. 

In terms of the unemployed nd likely candidates it's even worse.

Some of the names give me genuine fear. 

Agree with you. Having said that, Imrie's Morton bottom of the form table for last 5 & 10 games. Just a new manager bounce before settling into shite like the rest of the bunch mentioned.

Levein for me. A punt is too risky at the moment. May not excite the fans but who would after losing a management team that have given us 3 top 5 Championship finishes. We've had 4 in total. 

Edited by pantene proV

54 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

Not being involved with football contract matters would surely be in contradiction to what Val McDermid had said over the Goodwillie situation.

25 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

What football knowledge expertise does she have to pick who is best to be first team manager, not being sexist but seriously, who on the board could do that🤷🏻‍♂️

I wouldn't trust any of them. Hopefully they'll be getting some outside guidance from somebody

3 hours ago, baillieinleeds said:

Anyway why the clamour for Kevin Thomson. My dear auld gran passed away 20 years ago and could still manage Kelty with the cash they have. Btw I smell a Gretna coming. 

I get that being a successful cheque book manager doesn’t mean you can succeed on a budget but it doesn’t mean you can’t 

5 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Has anyone noticed Martindale at any of our games? Who does he send to do scouting? The only manager I have noticed in the Main Stand recently was St Mirren’s guy.

It sounds like he does a lot of his scouting through the use of stats, so it’s not overly likely he’s out looking at players non-stop. He’s said we’re looking at Russia and Ukraine for players this season as we’ve been priced out of the championship previously. 

I think it’s likely that he’s standing out in some form of stats, enough to grab his interest

29 minutes ago, renton said:

Not being involved with football contract matters would surely be in contradiction to what Val McDermid had said over the Goodwillie situation.

See, I've wondered about that since it was said. I don't know that it's necessarily to be taken literally. I can see a situation where Val McDermid says "The CEO tells me they won't be signing Goodwillie [in person], and then the next thing we know she's negotiating his contract [an assumption based on her role, where the CEO is essentially a byword for the club]." 

I think it's largely semantic and doesn't really matter, but I'm not sure Val McDermid would have knowledge of who was personally conducting the negotiations. I think it's equally (if not more) likely that the CEO told Val McDermid the signing wouldn't happen and then someone else was negotiating it without her knowledge as it is that she lied about it outright knowing she'd be doing the negotiating herself. 

But once again, to beat a well worn drum of mine, all of that is based on guesswork and assumption, because nobody at the club has ever bothered to define anybody's roles. 

20 minutes ago, Disgruntled Goat said:

image.png.88e4ac38b154aadc9d0839d2821c3daa.png

Agh, I've got to send my CV in again. We're to send them to the chairman now 

Hope Danny Lennon had already applied and doesn't see this. 

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

When was the last time you were excited by the Rovers?

I think I was genuinely feeling pangs of excitement around late November early December last year. The 2-1 win over Falkirk and the 1-0 win at home to Killie lulled me into thinking that we were in the title hunt this year. We had been playing some tidy stuff but both them games we looked resilient and won with something to spare despite not playing great.

I wonder what odds you would've got on McGlynn being Falkirk Manager by the time the playoffs came around as we walked out of the Falkirk Stadium that day?

I was excited at our last managerial appointment.

11 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

That is absolutely laughable. What a club. 

Aye, professional football club manager is one of those occupations where if you don't know who to contact, you shouldn't be applying in the first place.

11 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

That is absolutely laughable. What a club. 

Agreed. Not sure we'd want someone who only knew of the job and who to contact from seeing it on the news feed.

I ken a by who's CV would blow everyone elses' out the water...............make it happen Raith. I could do with a laugh 😀

peter grant.jpg

35 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

It sounds like he does a lot of his scouting through the use of stats, so it’s not overly likely he’s out looking at players non-stop. He’s said we’re looking at Russia and Ukraine for players this season as we’ve been priced out of the championship previously. 

I think it’s likely that he’s standing out in some form of stats, enough to grab his interest

Moneyball style 

Just when you think we can't be any more shambolic.

What football club has a CEO who isn't involved in any footballing contracts. If it was he case that it was a conflict of interest then why was she hired in the first place. Or if she specifically wasn't given that duty then why call her CEO when clearly she's not.

It's absolutely embarrassing just now.