The New Raith Rovers Thread

Yeah. Giving a 2 year deal to a man who couldn't manage us to a single home win in 2022 would be stupidity in my opinion. 
There is a decent chance we'll be sacking him before Christmas so it would also be financially irresponsible, but hey, the board have previous for that also, don't they?
2022 isn't finished yet. Plenty time for him to get at least 1 home win. Months, in fact.

McGlynn touched on it in his post match interview, but it is quite frustrating that form wise were looking like we'd turned a corner. The midfield trio of Spencer/Williamson/Stanton looked really good at times last night, and we created plenty of chances albeit against a Kilmarnock team who looked like they'd checked out for the first half.

I said on k107 that there's absolutely no reason we can't progress next season if we can get a bit more lucky and not suffer such horrendous injuries. Partick or Caley weren't a million miles away even in spite of us having that horrendous midseason collapse. If we're going for a new contract, it's got to be a 2 year deal. If Sim is correct that we're in a stronger commercial, financial position, then there's no reason not to give him a 2 year contract. 

12 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:
25 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:
Yeah. Giving a 2 year deal to a man who couldn't manage us to a single home win in 2022 would be stupidity in my opinion. 
There is a decent chance we'll be sacking him before Christmas so it would also be financially irresponsible, but hey, the board have previous for that also, don't they?

2022 isn't finished yet. Plenty time for him to get at least 1 home win. Months, in fact.

Okay, so far in 2022. I would say that playing every team in the league once at home is ample time to get at least one win considering the absolute dross in the league this season. But yeah, let's give him the rest of the year to sort it and if he fails, sack him. 

To be clear, I'm not 100% convinced letting him go is the best option, but rewarding someone who has had a starring role in the shambles of the last 4 months with a 2 year extension is nothing short of gross mismanagement to me. 

Fortunately for McGlynn, the board are experts in that field. 

Just now, Broken Algorithms said:

McGlynn touched on it in his post match interview, but it is quite frustrating that form wise were looking like we'd turned a corner. The midfield trio of Spencer/Williamson/Stanton looked really good at times last night, and we created plenty of chances albeit against a Kilmarnock team who looked like they'd checked out for the first half.

I said on k107 that there's absolutely no reason we can't progress next season if we can get a bit more lucky and not suffer such horrendous injuries. Partick or Caley weren't a million miles away even in spite of us having that horrendous midseason collapse. If we're going for a new contract, it's got to be a 2 year deal. If Sim is correct that we're in a stronger commercial, financial position, then there's no reason not to give him a 2 year contract. 

I think McGlynn is getting a bit carried away with those results. Look at Hamilton's result last night and Partick have been equally as bad as us over the last couple of months. 

Last night Kilmarnock only put in any effort for about 5 minutes out of the 90 and we still couldn't beat them. If we had made the play offs, ICT would've beaten us easily. 

7 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I think McGlynn is getting a bit carried away with those results. Look at Hamilton's result last night and Partick have been equally as bad as us over the last couple of months. 

Last night Kilmarnock only put in any effort for about 5 minutes out of the 90 and we still couldn't beat them. If we had made the play offs, ICT would've beaten us easily. 

I recall you going on a similar rant just before we embarked on a 15 game unbeaten run.

I hope we offer him a new 2 year contract. I also think there’s 0% chance that we’d sack him before Christmas.

You’ll be absolutely raging about that next January though.

38 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Poplatnik has another year at club option…Livi were considering exercising the option.

If Tumilty and Musonda leave, I’d keep Bene, and perhaps even McKay, as (hopefully) reserves.

Loaning out a 29 year old under such circumstances would generally indicate that the player isn't in the manager's plans. Selfishly hoping that they don't offer him another year ans we can bring him back. 

I'm really pleased to hear about these "advanced talks", and I really hope they come to pass. 

See if I'm being completely honest, I just like continuity. I enjoy football and the Rovers more if there's a longstanding manager and group of long-serving players. I can't abide this Watford-isation of modern football where managers get binned at the drop of a hat. I know Burnley have just done it with Dyche and everyone was outraged, but they've gone on to get the results that'll keep them up, but I still don't like it. 

I'm not that bothered about winning all the time. Obviously if you offered me a new manager and guaranteed we'd win the league then I'd take it, but I enjoy the consistency and longevity of McGlynn. I like that he's the ninth (I think) longest serving manager in the country, and he must be second or third longest association with a club if you add in his first spell. I like that he also just seems attached to the club, too. He jacked that job at Celtic to come back, and I don't get the feeling he's constantly wondering which bottom six Premiership manager is going to get binned so can nab their job. 

I totally understand the arguments of people who are looking at the league form in the back half of this season, and I certainly understand anyone who can't get past McGlynn's involvement in the Goodwillie affair, but for me it's a kind of variation on "better the devil you know". I enjoy the Rovers more with John McGlynn. I know other supporters of other clubs don't really get that because McGlynn doesn't appear to be Mr Personality from the outside, but I think his work ethic and his philosophy on the game are both well matched for this level of football. 

He has his blind spots. He can't seem to find a striker to save himself, and too often he gambles on a better standard of player with rocky injury records without an adequate Plan B for when they all inevitably get injured. I find his insistence on leaving everyone back at corners baffling. But every manager you can get in the Scottish Championship is going to have issues like that. Most of them will have issues that are much more severe. Just ask the Pars. 

I suppose what I'm getting at is that I like John McGlynn. I like the way he approaches the game, and I like watching his teams play. I like the players he signs, too, even if there is the odd Timmy Abraham in there. We might get a few more points if we take a punt on someone else, but from my point of view, I don't think it's worth the gamble. 

Poplatnik was a find it's just a pity it took so long in to the season to actually find him. 

He would be high on the list of signing priorities for me along with the new defence we will need. I think with a bit of time he could form some kind of partnership with Ross playing off him and who knows perhaps even alongside Vaughan. For a small guy he is like a little tank and he wins a lot in the air. 

15 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

I hope we offer him a new 2 year contract. I also think there’s 0% chance that we’d sack him before Christmas.

You’ll be absolutely raging about that next January though.

I would say there is a more than 0% chance that the awful performances we've witnessed over the last 4 months continue into next season. If they did, he'd have to be sacked. End of. 

4 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Poplatnik was a find it's just a pity it took so long in to the season to actually find him. 

He would be high on the list of signing priorities for me along with the new defence we will need. I think with a bit of time he could form some kind of partnership with Ross playing off him and who knows perhaps even alongside Vaughan. For a small guy he is like a little tank and he wins a lot in the air. 

There's a guy on fantalk claiming to be itk about Poplatnik who says that he was keen to sign for us but it won't be happening. 

22 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Loaning out a 29 year old under such circumstances would generally indicate that the player isn't in the manager's plans. Selfishly hoping that they don't offer him another year ans we can bring him back. 

McKay is 23, btw.

10 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

I'm really pleased to hear about these "advanced talks", and I really hope they come to pass. 

See if I'm being completely honest, I just like continuity. I enjoy football and the Rovers more if there's a longstanding manager and group of long-serving players. I can't abide this Watford-isation of modern football where managers get binned at the drop of a hat. I know Burnley have just done it with Dyche and everyone was outraged, but they've gone on to get the results that'll keep them up, but I still don't like it. 

I'm not that bothered about winning all the time. Obviously if you offered me a new manager and guaranteed we'd win the league then I'd take it, but I enjoy the consistency and longevity of McGlynn. I like that he's the ninth (I think) longest serving manager in the country, and he must be second or third longest association with a club if you add in his first spell. I like that he also just seems attached to the club, too. He jacked that job at Celtic to come back, and I don't get the feeling he's constantly wondering which bottom six Premiership manager is going to get binned so can nab their job. 

I totally understand the arguments of people who are looking at the league form in the back half of this season, and I certainly understand anyone who can't get past McGlynn's involvement in the Goodwillie affair, but for me it's a kind of variation on "better the devil you know". I enjoy the Rovers more with John McGlynn. I know other supporters of other clubs don't really get that because McGlynn doesn't appear to be Mr Personality from the outside, but I think his work ethic and his philosophy on the game are both well matched for this level of football. 

He has his blind spots. He can't seem to find a striker to save himself, and too often he gambles on a better standard of player with rocky injury records without an adequate Plan B for when they all inevitably get injured. I find his insistence on leaving everyone back at corners baffling. But every manager you can get in the Scottish Championship is going to have issues like that. Most of them will have issues that are much more severe. Just ask the Pars. 

I suppose what I'm getting at is that I like John McGlynn. I like the way he approaches the game, and I like watching his teams play. I like the players he signs, too, even if there is the odd Timmy Abraham in there. We might get a few more points if we take a punt on someone else, but from my point of view, I don't think it's worth the gamble. 

1,000,000% this. Really sums up exactly how I feel about it. I like John McGlynn. I like going to watch his teams. I can see what we are trying to do and I like being a part of that. It’s a bit bigger than just the football. 

Just now, Hank Scorpio said:

1,000,000% this. Really sums up exactly how I feel about it. I like John McGlynn. I like going to watch his teams. I can see what we are trying to do and I like being a part of that. It’s a bit bigger than just the football. 

It’s also good to have some continuity on the park given what has gone on, and continues to go on off it. I would really hope that in a few years, if he’s still at the club, he maybe would be keen to step back from the intense full time mangers role and would consider a move upstairs. He’s been a fantastic stabilising force at the club but realistically he can’t manage us forever, and we can’t be scared of change. It would be nice if he could oversee the transition and continue to recruit our apprentice players etc.

I just hope we don’t have a rotten start to next season, otherwise things could unravel a bit and nobody want’s that.

Whilst of the view that McGlynn should not he here next season, I have just about zero concerns that we will start next season badly if he stays. We pretty much never start badly. 

It's always when winter comes around that it goes to shit. 

6 hours ago, TxRover said:

Poplatnik has another year at club option…Livi were considering exercising the option.

If Tumilty and Musonda leave, I’d keep Bene, and perhaps even McKay, as (hopefully) reserves.

I have a feeling we will trigger it and if you want to sign him we'll end up asking for a fee or use it to sign someone from you that's out of contract but in a position where you'd be due compensation

22 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

I have a feeling we will trigger it and if you want to sign him we'll end up asking for a fee or use it to sign someone from you that's out of contract but in a position where you'd be due compensation

Apparently we are cash rich and can throw money in all directions, so send  him our way.

We managed to get through the cup group stages , Put out Aberdeen  TV game ,Great draw next round TV game at parkhead , Great form upto Christmas another decent run in the cup  and having another away trip to parkhead on TV, Form snow dives but we do manage  to a cup final and win, finally a fifth place finish,.Not to mention Mcglynn brought through  young prospects with rovers making good coin out of it which will including more money via clauses ,add ons  etc, 

Some  fans want rid of the man ? The team has almost signed up again and John will know what players we require  to strength us further 

Edited by basher brash