The New Raith Rovers Thread

6 hours ago, baillieinleeds said:

Yea I know, that’s how the board described him

I have no doubt he interviewed well. Seems a nice guy, but the alarm bells regarding his previous two roles were there for all to see. Perhaps they could give him benefit of the doubt over Hearts given the state they were in at the time, but the fact his tenure at Killie was also a total disaster ought to have excluded him from the running. 

I dis also find it interesting that Drysdale defended him and said he was appreciative of Locke understanding the club's financial constraints, happily working under them. This was despite allowing him to sign quite a number of players and then sacking him just after the transfer window shut. 

Edited by Michael W

If Gary Locke interviewed well, it probably says more about those asking the questions.

They maybe should have tried 'Gary, tell the panel how relieved you were when Celtic decided 7-0 was enough and took it easy in the last half hour at Tynecastle', or 'Gary, your team equalised in the League Cup semi against ten men, before going 2-1 up against nine men in extra time, with only minutes remaining, Can you tell the panel how Inverness ended up in the final?'

Edited by Specky Ginger

The contrast between last season and this is huge. Last season we didn't want it to end and with signings being made couldn't wait for the new season. I can't wait for this season to end and couldn't care less about next. 

On 09/04/2022 at 18:53, renton said:

I'd like to be angry after us losing again. I used to be like a bear with a bad headache after any league loss, a real fucking treat for my mates as I sat and fumed in the pub.

Now, I'm shrugging it off. Something snapped with the Goodwillie saga that had been pulled very fucking taut by results through the festive period. I don't care, just now. It's not bothering me.

It has always bothered me far too much, and just now it doesn't. 

Same with me although I got to that stage donkeys ago. Really can't remember the last result that had me a fuming mess. 9 times out of 10 it's me and my auld man turning to each other with a shrug of the shoulders and with a "acht well, same time next week?". Don't get me wrong I still, in a perverse way, enjoy going to the football on a Saturday and still get a buzz when we win. If we lose though, doesn't really bother me. 

So, who we voting for as supporters player of the year and goal of the season? Only 6 goals to choose from, forgot how good Connollys goal was against Queens. Sure there were a few other decent goals from earlier in the season that could have been included. Let my son pick, he went for MacDonald and Connollys free kick against East Fife. Not a bad shout. 

1 minute ago, Raithie said:

So, who we voting for as supporters player of the year and goal of the season? Only 6 goals to choose from, forgot how good Connollys goal was against Queens. Sure there were a few other decent goals from earlier in the season that could have been included. Let my son pick, he went for MacDonald and Connollys free kick against East Fife. Not a bad shout. 

Keatings must be a cert.

Probably between MacDonald and Matthews for Player of the Year and I don't think either has quite scaled the heights of last season, which is a very sad indictment on the rest.

Possibly Connolly as an outside shout, but absolutely no one beyond that.

10 minutes ago, Raithie said:

That list of players....

I would probably say MacDonald also. 

As for the goals, I can't believe they haven't included Vaughan's 2nd against Hamilton. 

Aidan Connolly for player of the season. I was somewhat mystified as to why McGlynn signed the player (a familiar feeling sadly). 

However I've been really pleased with him, the amount of effort he puts in week in week out, the goals he's scored and set up as well as him being one of the only creative outlets in a number of games. 

He has shown his worth for me and been one of the few consistent players. 

12 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

As for the goals, I can't believe they haven't included Vaughan's 2nd against Hamilton. 

Aye that was a peach. Pretty sure Zanatta's goal at home to Ayr was a decent strike as well as our equaliser against Morton at Starks with some lovely build up play. Even Zanatta's winner against Aberdeen would have been worth including. 

Berra's got to be in the discussion for Player of the Year, no? 

I'm not totally sold on Matthews for it. While he rarely chucks it, he's not often in the discussion for man of the match, either. Our drop off in performance earlier in the season coincided with him being unavailable, but I think that's more down to him being the only destructive midfielder in the entire squad. 

37 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

The last time I saw him he was working with the fire brigade at Prestwick.

Ah well! That's him home and hosed for the Rovers if there's a managerial emergency and the club comes calling🙄