The New Raith Rovers Thread

17 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

Marvin Bartley maybe not the most diplomatic choice for a club with an existing very high profile violence-against-women public relations issue...

It hasn’t hurt his media career. Maybe Goodwillie should give his agent a call.

It's an odd thing in football due to the prevailing ownership model, that generally in a job interview the folk doing the interviewing likely have little to no practical experience of the job they are trying to recruit for.

I'd love to get a deeper appreciation of how it works, particularly in a lower Scottish league context. You filter through the dozens of applications you were never going to consider anyway, get in the two or three guys from the Merry go round... and then what?

Is there a more technical interview aspect? Like, how you go about choosing a player, what's the benefits of coaching style x over y? I see you have a 3 month without a win, run - care to explain that? How can a bunch of folk who have ran global accountancy firms, or electrical trades or housing developers actually discriminate one candidate from another and make an informed choice?

Or is it just a kind of broader, shallower thing. Does the board like the guy, do folk in the media rate him? 

It'd be interesting to see if various boards had worked over time to try and optimise a recruitment process to try and take some of the luck of the draw out of it - or if its just more likey buggins turn for whoever is out of luck and hope it works next time.

On the shouts for Craig Levein. From memory it was Craig Levein who recommended McGlynn to us. Is he pals with McGlynn? Either way, if the club went for him he’d no doubt sort us out. The problem of forwards wouldn’t be an issue either.

Edited by Scary Bear

19 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

Yea I know, that’s how the board described him

I can imagine Locke coming across well. I think he generally is considered to be a nice, sociable guy. Probably ticked the boxes in terms of talking about core fitness, nutrition and the like. Wasn't a giggling mess like Darren Young apparently was.

Couldn't win a game of football to save himself though.

4 minutes ago, renton said:

It's an odd thing in football due to the prevailing ownership model, that generally in a job interview the folk doing the interviewing likely have little to no practical experience of the job they are trying to recruit for.

I'd love to get a deeper appreciation of how it works, particularly in a lower Scottish league context. You filter through the dozens of applications you were never going to consider anyway, get in the two or three guys from the Merry go round... and then what?

Is there a more technical interview aspect? Like, how you go about choosing a player, what's the benefits of coaching style x over y? I see you have a 3 month without a win, run - care to explain that? How can a bunch of folk who have ran global accountancy firms, or electrical trades or housing developers actually discriminate one candidate from another and make an informed choice?

Or is it just a kind of broader, shallower thing. Does the board like the guy, do folk in the media rate him? 

It'd be interesting to see if various boards had worked over time to try and optimise a recruitment process to try and take some of the luck of the draw out of it - or if its just more likey buggins turn for whoever is out of luck and hope it works next time.

I’d imagine it’s the same as recruiting for most posts. You look at qualifications, previous experience and success the candidates have enjoyed. Then it’s whoever comes across best on the day with the interview panel.

That’s probably why the likes of Yogi who has won 1 league title 17 years ago and a Scottish Cup 7 years ago, keeps getting employed, despite his limitations.

8 minutes ago, renton said:

Suspect it probably is fairly haphazard. The word on Locke at the time was that he interviewed well and was very personable I think. So if you can talk a good game then you’ll impress Boards and do well. Which pretty much explains John Hughes. 

1 hour ago, renton said:

This ^^^^^. It must be a thankless task

Isn't Craig Levin helping out at Brechin City? If so, that hasn't gone as well as was hoped for this season. However, if that's the criteria then he fits the bill and would be a 'shoo in' to the club he supported as a boy.🥺

I noticed Peter Houston is now assistant to Scott Gemmill at the u-21s. What did he do wrong? Won the Scottish Cup with United and got Falkirk to a Scottish Cup Final. Finished second place in the Championship a couple of times. 

3 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I noticed Peter Houston is now assistant to Scott Gemmill at the u-21s. What did he do wrong? Won the Scottish Cup with United and got Falkirk to a Scottish Cup Final. Finished second place in the Championship a couple of times. 

What will he be on there?  Probably 80k odd a year with less responsibility than managing a club?  No brainer IMO.

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

What will he be on there?  Probably 80k odd a year with less responsibility than managing a club?  No brainer IMO.

£80k for u21 assistant manager! That can’t be right. How much is Scott Gemmill on?

Edited by Scary Bear

1 minute ago, Scary Bear said:

£80k for u21 assistant manager! That can’t be right. How much is Scott Gemmill on?

He'll be on a lot more than he would be managing a Scottish Championship club.

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

Which young managers or ageing players would you be prepared to take a punt on as manager or player manager?

Stephen Davis is retiring at Rangers I’ve heard and done his coaching badges. I was told from a guy at work, eh Pete🤣🤣

Edited by baillieinleeds

57 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

Stephen Davis is retiring at Rangers I’ve heard and done his coaching badges. I was told from a guy at work, eh Pete🤣🤣

Is he the next Jimmy Nicholl? Northern Irish international who plays for Rangers. 

2 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Houston was assistant to Johansson with us and said at that time he had no interest in being a manager again. He's a scout for Celtic as well as the U21 job, he's probably perfectly happy not having the pressure and being more hands off.