The New Raith Rovers Thread

McInally did have a wee stint in charge of the team when he was a player here, I think if I recall correctly it was him and Steve Kirk that took over that roll when Jim  the Jannie left although I'm not sure about that. Or it might have been the seven day wonder.🤔

Tx I can only assume you were into baseball in the 90’s and don’t remember Jim mcinally playing for us and being assistant manager when Jimmy the Janny blew our biggest transfer budget on utter dross🤦🏻‍♂️, if we do replace Mcglynn I’m not sure who we will end up with and my worry is we get another Gary Locke , look at Falkirk they can’t get it right( although if we punt Mcglynn I’m sure they will be interested) none of the names mentioned inspire me, pivotal moment for the club 

20 minutes ago, TxRover said:

And you suggest?

Like I said if these are the options we have to choose from we should stick with McGlynn. 

If he does go I would much rather we went with a rookie rather than some old failure like McInally.

I've not been impressed with what Thomson has done at Kelty, they barely average 2 goals a game in a league they should be be absolutely steamrollering considering their budget. Saw an interview with him online a couple of weeks ago and he came across as a bit of a moron and constantly used the word 'footie'. f**k that. 

Ayr and Morton have chosen decent first time managers it looks like so far, so why can't we? What about Scott Brown with his old pal Jason Dair as assistant? ☺ 

Guest Bluetoon
7 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

McInally's father in law is the Peterhead chairman. He's been there for the last 10 years who despite getting them relegated and bottling a league with an obscenely large budget.

27 minutes ago, grumswall said:

No one is going near mcinally. He has done nothing to suggest he is a good manager and realistically the only reason he's still at Peterhead is because of who his father in law is

Jim is not married to the chairman's daughter. Is wife is from Glasgow.

Jim is not married to the chairman's daughter. Is wife is from Glasgow.
Fair enough, happy to stand corrected.

Thomson gets all the media hype, but it's much the same as the whole "We're definitely not Gretna" nonsense run by the media. He's done what has been expected of him in a job where its impossible to see how good he actually is as a manager.

9 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Thomson gets all the media hype, but it's much the same as the whole "We're definitely not Gretna" nonsense run by the media. He's done what has been expected of him in a job where its impossible to see how good he actually is as a manager.

Pretty sure it’s Paul Hartley your thinking of

1 hour ago, RR #1 said:

I was all for McGlynn being replaced but seeing names like Kevin Thomson, and Jim McInally being thrown around has definitely changed my mind. Absolutely terrible shouts. 

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

And you suggest?

I think the point is there isn't anyone to suggest.

1 hour ago, grumswall said:

No one is going near mcinally. He has done nothing to suggest he is a good manager and realistically the only reason he's still at Peterhead is because of who his father in law is. Thomson has done nothing to really show he is a good manager. Next season will be more of a test for Kelty in league 1 and that's where he could potentially start making a name for himself with that. There isn't really anyone better than mcglynn available right now and the names being banded about here, when we don't even know what's happening with mcglynn, are pretty terrible. 

1 hour ago, Raith_Raver said:

Like, we keep McGlynn?

Taking those posts in order is exactly where my mind set is.

McInally? No ta, experienced but simply has not done enough.

Thomson? No ta, almost no experience and to be honest with the money and squad assembled a trained monkey could have them winning the league, I mean just look at how successful the previous guy was!

I have to agree with keeping McGlynn as I am yet to see anyone listed as a better option. Now if one was to become available that'd be different but my fear is that McGlynn gets told his contract isn't being renewed and the job gets handed to Danny Lennon.

At least for the time being this for me is 100% a "better the devil you know" scenario.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Tommy Wright though.

Surprised no-one has mentioned Berra taking over if/when McGlynn departs.

I feel nothing much is going to change as (A) the board wont want to make another mistake, so McGlynn wont be going anywhere unless of course he resigns or  (B) theres a new Board going to take over and they make the decision, highly unlikely.

The issue you will have is that it’s difficult to sign any players when they don’t know who the manager is going to be. Who’s going to sign a two year deal when the boss could change and they could be out of the new man’s plans? This needs resolved asap. 

2 hours ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Surprised no-one has mentioned Berra taking over if/when McGlynn departs.

I feel nothing much is going to change as (A) the board wont want to make another mistake, so McGlynn wont be going anywhere unless of course he resigns or  (B) theres a new Board going to take over and they make the decision, highly unlikely.

Watch this space this time next year😉

There are multiple points here:

1) I tossed out some names that have been mentioned as fresher options, not that I endorse any of them.

2) JMcG and Smudger are both out of contract shortly.

3) Players dislike uncertainty.

4) JMcG’s (limited) record in the two highest leagues is, well, less than stellar. He seems, at least this year, to be incapable of making necessary adjustments after teams have adjusted to prevent his preferred style of play.

5) Unfortunately, JMcG is possibly permanently tarnished by his football focused response to questions regarding DG. He is perceived, likely correctly, as a management savant who is ignorant of the larger picture off the pitch.

6) Conversely, JMcG is widely accepted to be an excellent developer of younger players, loanees or home grown.

By leaving the manager position effectively open going forward, we are handicapped in attempting to get any agreements in place for next year. The BoD, idiots that they are, should clearly be able to see the harm they are causing with this uncertainty.

I’m afraid I do fall in the let him go camp, but it should have been telegraphed either way a month ago in any case. I don’t have a good answer for a new manager, and am badly torn on if I’d be willing to accept JMcG continuing. I don’t think he’s a bad man, I think he’s not really aware of stuff beyond football.

53 minutes ago, embow said:

Watch this space this time next year😉

Really don't like guys going from player to manager at the same club. Fully expect Berra to go into management but if he's smart he'll try and avoid the awkwardness that goes with shifting from "one of the lads" to the "gaffer" by doing it somewhere else.

4 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

The fact he played for one of the ugly sisters and still happily panders to the blue half means he's well in with the media and is therefore constantly talked up as some sort of genius. 

Kinda like Barry Ferguson.

37 minutes ago, TxRover said:

1) I tossed out some names that have been mentioned as fresher options, not that I endorse any of them.

4) JMcG’s (limited) record in the two highest leagues is, well, less than stellar. He seems, at least this year, to be incapable of making necessary adjustments after teams have adjusted to prevent his preferred style of play.

5) Unfortunately, JMcG is possibly permanently tarnished by his football focused response to questions regarding DG. He is perceived, likely correctly, as a management savant who is ignorant of the larger picture off the pitch.

6) Conversely, JMcG is widely accepted to be an excellent developer of younger players, loanees or home grown.

By leaving the manager position effectively open going forward, we are handicapped in attempting to get any agreements in place for next year. The BoD, idiots that they are, should clearly be able to see the harm they are causing with this uncertainty.

I’m afraid I do fall in the let him go camp, but it should have been telegraphed either way a month ago in any case. I don’t have a good answer for a new manager, and am badly torn on if I’d be willing to accept JMcG continuing. I don’t think he’s a bad man, I think he’s not really aware of stuff beyond football.

We need to make sure we get better than him if we let him go because of DG, could easily go badly wrong like we did with Gary Locke, he will get another job no problem if we punt him but I really don’t see anyone obvious to go for except jack Ross who apparently turned down st mirren, we could go for another media frenzy and keep val sweet by appointing Shelley Kerr as she wanted previously 🤦🏻‍♂️ I have heard czaba lazlo mentioned 🤦🏻‍♂️

McGlynn needs to stay for me be careful what you wish for.

On Thomson and Brown I'd be unable to cope with the constant old firm drivel that would appear at every corner. That, coupled with both being anywhere between largely and completely untested makes it a no for me.

If you are looking down the divisions it would need to be Petrie or Murray for me but again better the messiah devil you know for me. We could go completely untested i.e. Berra or someone else who's done badges but risk v reward seems off.

43 minutes ago, renton said:

Really don't like guys going from player to manager at the same club. Fully expect Berra to go into management but if he's smart he'll try and avoid the awkwardness that goes with shifting from "one of the lads" to the "gaffer" by doing it somewhere else.

Apologies Renton but it was purely meant to be a wind up, as you do with the line when fishing.🙄 Agree with you that it's usually best to move on when going into managerial mode, especially for the first time.👍

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

McGlynn has had us finish second and third in the Championship. That’s the best managerial performance from any Rovers manager this century.

Who was the last manager before McGlynn to have us finishing 2nd or 3rd in the Championship (old First Division)? I think it was 1997/98 when we last finished 3rd. 

For those who don't think a first time rookie could cut it, just think Sir James of the Nicholls.😊 Second time he was no longer a rookie nor as successful..but still nonetheless a legend for his successes.

Edited by embow

Hi everyone  thanks for all your help previously. Just one more question we need to get the 5.30 bus at the main bus station to halbeath on the X61 to catch our bus north 6.30. How far is the bus station to Starks Park for before and after game is it easily walkable or is it a bus taxi ride away. Cheers