The New Raith Rovers Thread

24 minutes ago, Michael W said:

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/3113375/james-keatings-raith-rovers-exit-retirement/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Keatings says that he's not retiring from the game following his release. 

Great stuff that a picture of him scoring against us made it into the article. Rub it in some more. 

To be fair, any archive filed under "James Keatings goal" was almost certainly going to feature us as the opposition...

54 minutes ago, OhnononoGeordieMunro said:

McGlynn has too stay. Argument for him being our best ever gaffer and this concept of ‘next level’. What even is that? We’ve not played in the top division in however long. It’s moment in time stuff.

Hes not been our best ever gaffer

Some reason I dont he,ll be with us next season and it wouldn,t overly bother me if he wasn,t

If McGlynn does leave it would be some laugh if we could convince Petrie to move on from Montrose. I’d want experience, Mixu would be my choice but I’d rather McGlynn stays.

Still in the fresh start camp, I'm afraid. Perhaps a great run until the end of the season could change that, but I haven't forgiven the damage McGlynn helped inflict upon the club and certainly at this point nothing has really gone towards putting that right. Our first league win in 2022 against a crap QoS side hasn't shifted my feelings. It is hopefully a starting point and we'll kick on from it, but it remains to be seen. 

All about the league and the playoffs - I don’t give a shit about the Diddy Cup in respect of whether McGlynn stays or not; winning it won't change my view. Make the playoffs, have a good go at them and we'll see. 

Edited by Michael W

19 minutes ago, Enigma said:

If McGlynn does leave it would be some laugh if we could convince Petrie to move on from Montrose. I’d want experience, Mixu would be my choice but I’d rather McGlynn stays.

I'm not convinced Petrie is the man either tbh and other that annoying Pars fans I cant see any reason for it.  After looking a MP's stats I'm inclined to say I'd hope we could do better, other than a successful spell at Cowden and reasonable spells in Finland, Killie and Hibs his record is pretty uninspiring. His last 3 appointments all ended with him getting him his jotters.

But like like you I cant come up with a better option so that's why I hope McGlynn stays too.

Someone else mentioned Murray at Airdrie but I'd steer clear, he was ok when he had Jack Ross with him at Dumbarton but until this season he's been hit for miss. 

Mind you stats aren't everything, Kevin Thomson's stats are great but he's only managed Kelty and I think even Clod Anelka could keep that side winning. 

If Raith Tv were to do an interview at the end of the season with John I think I could guess the jist of his speech.

This season was always going to be tough after doing so well last season and then losing some of the key players. We thought we'd recruited well and early season form of Dario and Aidan suggested we wouldn't struggle for goals. Losing Lewis Vaughan was a major blow but the losing of Brad from the midfield in the 2nd quarter was pivotal. It took a while for Ben and Sam to get up to speed and I think if we'd had a fit Brad Spencer in the midfield things could have been a lot different. 

Up front we struggled for goals from the middle of the second quarter onwards and again we felt the loss of Brad was key. But looking at the stats its not the scoring that was actually the biggest problem but the conceding, not enough clean sheets have been our undoing, which given the performances of Jamma and Christophe is surprising. The loss of Lewis, Brad, Lang and even James Keatings along with lesser injuries and illnesses disrupted us more than it should have but it certainly threw a spanner or two in the works. After a poor third quarter we......

Depending on our run-in, the hopeful return of a fit Brad and hopefully an upsurge of confidence all round will determine how he summarises the whole campaign.

3 hours ago, Scottydog said:

Someone else mentioned Murray at Airdrie but I'd steer clear, he was ok when he had Jack Ross with him at Dumbarton but until this season he's been hit for miss. 

Mind you stats aren't everything, Kevin Thomson's stats are great but he's only managed Kelty and I think even Clod Anelka could keep that side winning. 

McGlynn was emptied pretty quickly at Hearts and Livi, but we brought him back and it worked. Sometimes the circumstances just aren't quite right for whatever reason and it doesn't work out. Remember as well that he had us in the title race in 2010/11 until the last few games with a team that was mostly part-time; no reason on paper he shouldn't have succeeded at either of those places. 

Murray has clearly shown promise this season with Airdrie and would be worth considering, though he might well bring them up and would in all probablity want to stay. 

Yeah Murray is a name I would be considering, assuming Airdrie don't get promoted. There's no doubt that Ross would've played a big part in his success at Dumbarton but Murray has improved Airdrie every season he's been there and that can't be ignored. 

Other than him, the only currently employed manager worth going for is Petrie who is obviously not interested in a full time job, at least not at our level. 

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Yeah Murray is a name I would be considering, assuming Airdrie don't get promoted. There's no doubt that Ross would've played a big part in his success at Dumbarton but Murray has improved Airdrie every season he's been there and that can't be ignored.

🤨

You don't half talk shite at times.

8 minutes ago, pantene proV said:

Murray instead of Mglynn? 

😆

It's actually quite worrying how many people now seem to want to keep McGlynn despite his behaviour in the Goodwillie affair. Incredible what a turgid 1-0 at QoS will do to clear the memory. 

If we want to toss out names…

Jim McInally…Peterhead are struggling in League One, and even so are punching above their weight. Might be interesting to see what he can do with a reasonable budget, and he might be tired enough of the struggle up there.

Ian Murray…Has worked under a tight budget and certainly out performed expectations.

Kevin Thompson…But would he be willing to leave Kelty, where he seems to have an ideal setup and a lot of funds.

Paul Hartley…But he’s about to be in the Championship anyway, with a team he’s built and rebuilt.

Dick Campbell…But it’s more likely he’ll be poached by a Premiership side soon, if Arbroath doesn’t become one.

2 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Jim McInally…Peterhead are struggling in League One, and even so are punching above their weight. Might be interesting to see what he can do with a reasonable budget, and he might be tired enough of the struggle up there.

Ian Murray…Has worked under a tight budget and certainly out performed expectations.

Kevin Thompson…But would he be willing to leave Kelty, where he seems to have an ideal setup and a lot of funds.

Paul Hartley…But he’s about to be in the Championship anyway, with a team he’s built and rebuilt.

Dick Campbell…But it’s more likely he’ll be poached by a Premiership side soon, if Arbroath doesn’t become one.

Jim McInally no thanks, Dick Campbell will not be poached by a Premiership club. I think I'll stick with McGlynn. 

6 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Jim McInally, deary fucking me. 

Jim McInally must be a joke

Paul Hartley failed miserably in this league with quite a big budget at Falkirk.

We have 0 chance of getting Dick Campbell

Kevin Thomson should be nowhere near this sort of list as he comes in the same category as Barry Ferguson where he’s only been at a club with a budget about 4 times anyone else in their league at Kelty and look what happened to Ferguson when he left.

Ian Murray is the only one from that list that I’d possibly consider tbh. In saying that, there’s a chance they could be coming up to this league this summer anyway so he’d probably fancy sticking around there.

If Goodwillie is still on our books, we’d struggle big time to find a replacement anyway.

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

It's actually quite worrying how many people now seem to want to keep McGlynn despite his behaviour in the Goodwillie affair. Incredible what a turgid 1-0 at QoS will do to clear the memory. 

It's more worrying that people just will not forgive a mistake anymore. I appreciate what he's done for this club and it's not dependant on one result, good or bad, or one signing, good or Goodwillie.