The New Raith Rovers Thread

We need to be careful what we wish for here, and IMO McGlynn deserves the rest of the season at least given the credit he should have in the bank.

I could quite easily see him end up at Falkirk next season if they choose to replace again and the two of us pass each other. That is not to say he should escape without criticism but lets just ca' canny and remember where he picked us up from and where he now currently has us.

14 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:
1 hour ago, SirJimmyofNic said:
Tommy Wright, Jack Ross, Stuart Petrie maybe just 3 names that spring to mind

2 out of 3 ain't bad

2 out of 3 wouldn't come near Stark's Park unless they were on their uppers and desperate in need of money and the other has a decent job with a decent salary outside football.  You can but ask, but as things stand the current incumbent and his assistant are most likely here to the end of the season when their contracts may or may not be renewed. With eight games to go why sack them and have to pay compensation. That would be just as stupid as the recent signing furore which is likely to cost (for the club) megabucks. Why add more financial pain?

2 out of 3 wouldn't come near Stark's Park unless they were on their uppers and desperate in need of money and the other has a decent job with a decent salary outside football.  You can but ask, but as things stand the current incumbent and his assistant are most likely here to the end of the season when their contracts may or may not be renewed. With eight games to go why sack them and have to pay compensation. That would be just as stupid as the recent signing furore which is likely to cost (for the club) megabucks. Why add more financial pain?
The point of my post was that Tommy Wright should not be in consideration at any point; not that I considered the other two to be likely candidates.

1 minute ago, Brashy's Boots said:

The point of my post was that Tommy Wright should not be in consideration at any point; not that I considered the other two to be likely candidates.

If hes any sense he'll be enjoying a well deserved retirement. His half hearted attempt at managing Kilmarnock should not be repeated, hes nothing to gain from it now except stress.

31 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Aye right enough everything in the garden is rosy, we're going backwards but management have credit in the bank so its ok

Who said everything was rosy? Quote me on that and also quote my post if you happen to disagree with it, we are all entitled to our own view.

As a few other folk have mentioned, I cannot wait for this season to be finished, which considering we have a cup final and are only one point outside the playoffs probably sums everything up. 

There feels like there’s a fatigue around everything, the fans, the players and the management. 

The finishing was definitely one of the reasons why we failed today, but it’s also the reason we’ve failed in general this season.

This league is absolutely terrible, but we don’t have a forward worthy of the name, and ultimately that’s why we’ve went so many games without a win. Unfortunately, today also coincided with the defence being a travesty. 

I see both sides of the argument with McGlynn. Considering we can win a (diddy) cup and get promoted, I get the opinion we should try and appoint someone else and give us a chance of both  

That said, up until a month or so ago, McGlynn was my favourite manager after Frank Connor, so I also get the theory we should give him until the end of the season. 

I think the latter is the biggest risk though. The club feels broken just now, and could do with being fumigated. With the greatest will in the world, that won’t happen in the board room, so it should probably happen in the dug out. 

It’s absolutely ridiculous that the run from the start of the season to December is (hopefully) going to keep us up rather than take us up. What a waste of a season this is, and was so easily avoidable. 

7 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

There will be no change at the board, of that I'm fairly sure after today. 

There better be a change of manager though, McGlynn absolutely has to go, and the sooner the better. 

The inept c**ts that comprise the remaining BoD of RRFC are the last people I’d entrust with a search for a new manager. It’s a totally horrendous situation to be in, hoping a limping, damaged figurehead is allowed to stay long enough to get some intelligent changes at the top and realizing that simp,y won’t happen. However, if this BoD doesn’t have an external company led search (and I know that costs money) conducted, I fear they’ll f**k this up like the DG situation and we’ll end up in League One in a year and a bit.

13 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

On K107, I said it was good that McGlynn would get a chance to lead a team out in a cup final after being sacked twice before with Hearts and Livi. It looks like it's not going to be third time lucky. Ayr took their chances, but in reality could've had more. We had four clear cut chances and fluffed them all. The system has to change. It's like all the confidence we had during the first two quarters has completely evaporated. 

Will be fourth time lucky leading out a team in the final after winning a semi, including the challenge cup 19/20. If he's sacked before then he's cursed. 

There’s been a lot of love for Poplatnik from seemingly everyone lately. I’m going to be brutally honest, I simply do not see what others are seeing. Are folk just wanting him to get a shot because he’s been on the bench for so long? Or do they genuinely think he’s good? If so, what is it he’s good at? Because he’s not quick, strong, good at finishing, doesn’t hold it up, run in behind or put defenders off. 

We have 1 win, 6 draws and 5 defeats in league games Varian hasn't started. 8 wins, 6 draws, 2 defeats when he has. 

There’s been a lot of love for Poplatnik from seemingly everyone lately. I’m going to be brutally honest, I simply do not see what others are seeing. Are folk just wanting him to get a shot because he’s been on the bench for so long? Or do they genuinely think he’s good? If so, what is it he’s good at? Because he’s not quick, strong, good at finishing, doesn’t hold it up, run in behind or put defenders off. 

We have 1 win, 6 draws and 5 defeats in league games Varian hasn't started. 8 wins, 6 draws, 2 defeats when he has. 
I'm with you. Maybe yesterday puts the Poplatnik love-in to bed.

55 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Agree. Varian should be starting every week he's fit to do so. He's the best of a mediocre set of options. 

13 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

As you say, he seems to have done okay down South. Not spectacular but okay.

86AE30E2-8C58-4912-A2C7-2714BE345812.png

Missed a penalty against Chelsea in the FA cup but otherwise seems to be doing reasonably well and seems to be liked by the Plymouth supporters. 

For his flaws, Poplatnik is our top scoring striker. Varian might get involved in a lot of good play, but he has scored twice this season in over 20 appearances. His lack of firepower is one of the reasons that we are where we are. 

However, there is no ideal solution. Largely agree we look rudderless when Varian doesn't play but he isn't a goal threat. We got away with it when Zanatta was in form (and to a lesser extent Connolly and Ross) but we've been struggling a while. I think we need to try two up front. Gullan isn't a lone striker, so perhaps try him with Varian? Or try Poplatnik and Varian. Worth a shot, surely? There's been some tinkering that hasn't worked either. Ethan Ross not being a striker and Ben Williamson not being a number 10, for example. Don't do these things. 

You can't prove anything either way on whether the Goodwillie signing made things worse for us as a team. What it did do was bring a lot of negative attention upon the club and I don't think the players will have been able to just ignore that. The winless run in the lesgue was at 6 when that signing happened and now it's at 11. Personally, I feel it has had an effect, but I have no way of proving it. 

Finding something to compliment Varian,  rather than replacing him, is where we should have been. The team are better with him involved.  Adding slightly more goals to his game doesn't make Poplatnik the answer at all.  Nor does sticking a Number 9 on Jamie Gullans back and hoping for the best.

I'm a huge Mcglynn fan, and he dragged the club up from the gutter, again.  However this current run is stackable form.  It's mathematically possible that this season could be a fantastic one, still.  But something has to change.  The current trajectory indicates that this season will be a regression, which isn't good enough really when you add in horrible form.

As with all of these situations,  the issue and the gamble is who you replace him with.  

Edited by CALDERON

Maybe part of our problem is we seem to have reverted to old school McGlynn and chucking balls up to strikers in the hope they will somehow win them or we get to the 2nd ball. Poplatnik played with his back to goal his whole game and we brought on Gullan and thought he was a 6ft5 striker again. We are so slow at moving the ball that teams can just sit in against us and we're left with no option but to play stupid chipped balls forward to strikers who want the ball on the ground. In that 2nd half yesterday we looked like a team with no idea what we were meant to be doing.

As for McGlynn and Smith I'm fully of the belief that their time is up as we need to make the change now not least to try and stay at high in the league as possible for the prize money. However do we really expect our Chief Exec to sack her husband and his pal? That's the issue here and is another example of ridiculously poor governance at the club.

For his flaws, Poplatnik is our top scoring striker. Varian might get involved in a lot of good play, but he has scored twice this season in over 20 appearances. His lack of firepower is one of the reasons that we are where we are. 
However, there is no ideal solution. Largely agree we look rudderless when Varian doesn't play but he isn't a goal threat. We got away with it when Zanatta was in form (and to a lesser extent Connolly and Ross) but we've been struggling a while. I think we need to try two up front. Gullan isn't a lone striker, so perhaps try him with Varian? Or try Poplatnik and Varian. Worth a shot, surely? There's been some tinkering that hasn't worked either. Ethan Ross not being a striker and Ben Williamson not being a number 10, for example. Don't do these things. 
You can't prove anything either way on whether the Goodwillie signing made things worse for us as a team. What it did do was bring a lot of negative attention upon the club and I don't think the players will have been able to just ignore that. The winless run in the lesgue was at 6 when that signing happened and now it's at 11. Personally, I feel it has had an effect, but I have no way of proving it. 
Agreed, the issue we have as a club going forward is that the players in general will talk to each other before signing for clubs, unless it's a deal they can't say no to. Anyone at the club just now realistically can't put the club in a good place as a working environment.